Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Maladroit
Unmerciful Foam-beater

Club: AMA
Friends: (0)
Thumbs up Mini-Review: Dynam T-28 Trojan from Nitroplanes

Hey Guys!
After a few months of weighing-up the Pros & Cons of the Airfield 1400mm T-28, the Parkzone 44-inch T-28D and the 1275mm (51") Dynam T-28, I was surprised by my wife & family on my birthday with the DYNAM.
I got the ARF model. It comes with everything but the receiver, transmitter and lipo & charger.

I have to say, this plane is absolutely incredible. ... and HUGE.

First of all, it comes with retracts. There is nothing cooler than doing a 1st-lap low pass and watching the landing gear slowly pull-up into the fuse!

Next, it is just the smoothest, "floatiest" and easiest flying plane I've ever flown. This thing just will not stall. I have cranked the throttle down to 40-50% and it just drifts by with little-to-no wing tipping or sudden drops.

WARNING: You will not break any air speed records with the stock Dynam T-28. It is "quick" at best under WOT. But I'm a fan of the low n' slow, so this plane was like a dream-come-true for me. By simply switching from the 11" 3-blade to a 12X7 or 12x8 2-blade, you can get some better performance.
Also, some guys are adding a higher KV motor with a higher amp ESC. And I've also read that a guy had some increased power by simply going to a Master Airscrew 12" 3-blade (which I may experiment with.)

Unlike many of the Airfield planes, the Dynam came with a nice instruction booklet with a parts # page. I put this plane together and had it taxiing around my family room floor within 45-minutes of opening the box.

Another plus is that it has pre-cut slots for huge flaps and comes with 6 hinges and 2 push rods. All you need are (2) 9g servos and a servo reverser lead (for one of the flaps) and you have nice, wide flaps!
This plane already lands like a dream, adding flaps would make it land even more slowly and would really reduce wear & tear on the retractable gear.

Finally, they installed 4 LED lights in the wings and fuse. And incredibly, they are all prewired through the wings and rear fuse to the center. All you need for lights is a servo plug and, in my case, some know-how required to properly solder the 4 LED leads to the proper servo plug leads.

All of this for just $119? What a great deal!
BTW: there is no glue required whatsoever to build this model. It is screwed together and needs no adhesives.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Dynam T-28.

The only Con I have are those 2 lil' redheaded pilots; they make the plane look "toyish." But I've ordered the F-86 pilot from Hobby King and will give these guys their pink slips when the new pilot arrives from China.
The canopy flew right off the plane during take-off on the 2nd flight. The magnets hold but could use one more at the rear tip of the canopy.

I recorded the maiden flight on my hat cam, but it was grey and gloomy outside. But the following day, I was able to fly her under sunnier skies so I compiled some nice, low fly-bys for fans of the T-28 who might be weighing-up which version to buy.

BTW, I did fly the Parkzone version and it was a great flying plane as well, but I didn't fly the Airfield T-28. From the reading I've done, I believe the Airfield needs to land a little hotter than the PZ or Dynam - but the flaps on the Airfield will help that. But the Airfield costs more than double the price of the Dynam.

So here's the video and thank you for reading my short review.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-28Dynam.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	153963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamT28-3.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	153964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamT28-7.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	153965   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-86_pilot.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	153966  

Still a n00b, but already an expert at crashing
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Thanks for the review. LOL the canopy coming off! I've heard of 3 or 4 guys in our club that had that happen on their PZ T-28's, so the Chinese copied that feature as well!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
tarrigo

Default If anyone has a canopy

I would love to buy it. Mine blew off even after some mods and now it is lost in a see of deep bushes. I tried all kinds of things to find it. Even using my mutliticopter to take pictures from above. Still nothing. So, would like to buy one.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Tarrigo here is the link to Nitroplane support just join and then scroll down to the bottom of the site. You will see Dynam support ask in there for a new canopy, and how you can get one hope that helps you out.

http://www.rcdiscuss.com/forumdispla...-Dynam-Support
Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Maladroit
Unmerciful Foam-beater

Club: AMA
Thumbs up

Just a quick update,

I switched-out the 3-blade for a 2-blade 12x8 APC prop and the performance was noticeably improved.
The 3-blade seems to run "smoother" than the 2-blade. Don't ask me what I mean by that, ha ha! It's just a "feel" for the plane thing.

Anyway, I also added 2 servos and 1 servo reverser and cut out the pre-stamped FLAPS.
What a HUGE difference in landing this big bird.

Now the T-28 just seems to "walk in" gently and control is awesome. It seemed to dip a bit (versus flaps on my high-wing Cessna which make it flare), so I added just 5% up elevator mix when the flaps were deployed and it helped a lot.

Finally, I also added 10% rudder on aileron turns, which really, really smoothed out the turns. It also helps me a bit with landings, since I'm still a noob and have a tendency to use the aileron stick to steer her in for a landing. Someday, I'll get the rudder fingers working on this!

Anyway, I wrote to Dynam and received great news:
Nitroplanes is receiving a large shipment of parts in December. (They're in a container as we speak.) And also Grayson Hobby in GA will be stocking the new T-28 plus parts in coming weeks.

Guys, for the $$ this plane is incredible!
It garners a TON of attention at the air field and it also generates a lot of "Ooooh's and Ahhhs" when you retract the gear or drop them during a low pass!
You can pay double for the same plane with the Airfield 1400mm, but the price of $119 for a plane like this is just amazing!

Here's another video of some fly-bys and a few full-flap landings!

Still a n00b, but already an expert at crashing
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
Mainuh
No parachute needed

Club: Propsnappers
Friends: (1)

Good review and footage! I'm looking hard at a T-28 and will have to give this one consideration! Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Don
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
bostomper

Just a warning--if you use an airtronics tx with fhss-1 rx, you can't get the retracts to work. Nobody seems to know why--talked to airtronics, nitroplanes and grayson hobby. The fhss-3 rx will work however.--Bo
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
golfryan

On nitroplanes website it says 5 channel plane but then farther down
It says all you need is a 4channel tx and a lipo an ur good to go, so is it a 4or5 channel plane???
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
bostomper

Basically it is a 5 channel. The 5th channel is for the retracts that come installed in the up position. You could fly it as a 4 channel, but you would have to figure a way to get the retracts down, which is difficult at best. Or you could hand toss it, but it is a large plane that would make that difficult. Have a good one--Bo.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
bostomper

Fogot to add--if you get the ready to fly version it comes with a 6 channel transmitter and receiver, which makes it good to go.--Bo
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
golfryan

So i was wondering how to fly this with the retracts, and a 4 channel tx. Hook up the landing gear into your rudder on the RX put full rudder the landing gear will go down and the un hook the battery problem solved, landing gear is down permanently. I know its not ideal but I wanted to fly and couldnt wait two more days for my 6 ch tx to get here.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Buddfly

Club: NVRC
Friends: (1)

Our club has a nice close cut grass field that is kept in very good condition during the flying season. I know the PZ T28 has no problems with take offs and landings (well pilot dependent of course <grins>).

How does this beauty do on a grass field?

Thanks!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics