Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)
Default Super strong corner construction

I am building an old Astro Challenger kit, I have had since the mid 80's. It will be modernized as far as motor, battery and ESC goes, but otherwise stock. I am starting into ALeS competition.

I reinforced the corners of the elevator and rudder with CA hinges, some of you may do this, but some of you may not have thought of it,
Basically it is simply cutting a slot into the joint after it is glued together and inserting a CA hinge or a cut piece of one as I did.

I think the pictures will show it better. I believe this way is stronger and lighter than putting a gusset in the corner.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT4843.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	154051 cut thru center line

Name:	PICT4844.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	154052 uncut hinge to show how far I went

Name:	PICT4846.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	154053 trimmed and sanded, will not break here!

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I am building an old Astro Challenger kit, I have had since the mid 80's. It will be modernized as far as motor, battery and ESC goes, but otherwise stock. I am starting into ALeS competition.

I reinforced the corners of the elevator and rudder with CA hinges, some of you may do this, but some of you may not have thought of it,
Basically it is simply cutting a slot into the joint after it is glued together and inserting a CA hinge or a cut piece of one as I did.

I think the pictures will show it better. I believe this way is stronger and lighter than putting a gusset in the corner.
Now that is a very clever idea that would add little weight to a model. And if you've got a Great Planes Slot Machine, that would make the required slot even easier to do!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

HI Denny

I have the slot machine, but I think I need to get new blades. When I tried it, the blades spread apart as they went in, so the micro saw worked much better and is not much slower than a slot machine.

10 of my full size CA hinges weigh 1.2 grams, I cut most of them in half, so each joint is 0.06 grams, plus the CA clue it self, I don't know how much that would weigh but not much.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft