Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
KeninAZ

Friends: (1)
Default Mini Telemaster Next?

I have been playing around with a Champ and it's fun but I want more.
The mini Telemaster is about due in at HL I see. They also stock the ARF right now for twice the money but I suppose I might spend that much building it?
Here is their recommended setup~any suggestions improvements?

Motor/Prop
1 - ERCBL400 400 Size Brushless Outrunner 1200Kv
1 - P08060SF 8x6 Slowflyer Prop

Motor Controller
1 - ERCE025 eRC 25A Brushless Programmable ESC w/BEC

Battery
1 - YTB21003 Cell 11.1V 2100 mAh 20C Lipo

Charger
1 - SRC403 40 Watt Balance Charger for 1-4 Lithium Cells

Wheels
1 - LYT53 2-1/16" Wheels, pair (5 gr. ea.)
Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Either the ARF or Kit are great. The batteries to are too large a 1300-1500 would be better. That is a great little motor. I would use the GWS 9x5 HD prop with that plane. It will use less amps and have more thrust than the APC slow fly prop.

It will have GOBS of power.

Use this battery...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/3_cell_11...64078_prd1.htm

I get my GWS props from here - cheap shipping and the HD are very good performers.

http://gwsprops.com/direct_drive.htm

Mike
Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
KeninAZ

Thanks, with your recommended changes any guess as to what flight times with moderate throttle would yield on a calm day?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

10 minutes with light mixed throttle use.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
KeninAZ

Thanks again.
I also think I want to try a Sig Seniorita and may just build both of them.
I am thinking they fly about the same with the Sig maybe a little lighter flying.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Kits don't come with covering, or the iron to put it on. Lots of glue, time, etc. Many people are very good builders and enjoy that part of RC as much as flying. Sounds like you are quite new to all of this, so look into the cost of all of the "stuff" you'll need and you probably will find that the ARF is a far better deal. Having said that, if you think you'll like the build .... go for the kit. I am 90% thumbs and not nearly enough patience to build my own so the ARF's are what I want/NEED!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
KeninAZ

I built a few back in the 70's for awhile and then got out of the hobby as I just did not have time.
I have an iron and heat gun,T pins and many other things from past experiences and more importantly a good work area big enough to build some good sized wings.
I am retired and have lots of time and my experience over my lifetime is that I enjoy the challenges of building things as much as using them.
I have seen many an ARFs already out there and maybe I am picky but many I am not impressed with what the build looks like.
I guess I am just the type that would rather do things myself.
That being said sometimes an ARF is the way to go considering the costs of building.
To me if you don't build, and many just don't have the time, you are missing something.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 

You would be surprised at what a LOT of the ARF's look like if you took the covering off. Joints with no glue, Wings spars that don't meet at the poly joints, wrong type of glue used for the joint and so on add nauseam. There are some good ARF's out there, but I would much rather build mine then buy. I tried a couple of ARF's and they weren't to bad, but after buying them, I didn't enjoy them as much as the ones I built myself. Building the type of plane you are talking about is easy and if you have the time, enjoyable. From the sounds of things, you are not a stranger to building, so you will get along fine with them.

If you build the smaller ones, then you can take them to the local park and fly them instead of going to the flying field. Parks are normally closer then flying fields and you may find some kids there to interest too. The little Telemaster would probably work fine at the local park, but the Seniorita may have to go to the flying field to fly. Both are good flying planes and both make good electric planes. Have fun and enjoy.

Ed
Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
KeninAZ

I just have to wait a few days before the Telemaster is in stock I guess as they are out of them right now.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
2manyhobbies

Friends: (0)

I bought the ARF last year, and it is a neat little plane that fly's well. Some problems I had you will want to check. Check the wings for warp, HL replaced a wing set for me, as I could not get it out. The plane was tail heavy, so the heavier motor and larger battery help, I had to add weight(stick on lead weights). The steerable tail wheel mount is tricky to get right, I just changed it to a free swivel. The plane is easy to handle and floats nicely. Just my two cents! Good luck!!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
KeninAZ

Well I was looking at they have the ARF in stock. It's $75 vs. some $34 for the kit and then I still need stuff to complete the kit.
So I will take my chances with the ARF so I can fly before our winter WX sets in up here in about another month.
I also noted that although the Mini is a 3 channel that you could also order the ARF wing set with ailerons for another $32 so I got those too.
Maybe I can have some fun before it starts turning cold out there.
I will build something this winter however.
Maybe a Sig Seniorita is in my future?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
2manyhobbies

Friends: (0)

I think you made a good choice on the ARF. Mine is just three channel, but the ailerons would be neat! I have a sig kadet senior that I converted from nitro to electric. The seniorita is a very similar plane, and would be a great choice. They are very easy to fly and have a great look also!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
KeninAZ

If you just bring up the ARF and then check parts the aileron wing is shown there.
Just for your info.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Heck Kenin, you're ready to go! That Telemaster kit would be hard to resist..... You're certainly qualified to build it.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
KeninAZ

Too bad they did not have the kit in stock. Oh well, I hope the ARF is built OK.
I will be rebuilding some of it, one way or another.
What goes up must come down after all.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Here is the kit - like it much better than the ARF. Lighter too.

http://www.aerocraftrc.com/planepage.php?id=23

Mike
Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

From what I have heard, the Telemasters are good ARF's and while I can't say for sure on the little ones, my Senior is great. I was in a hurry to get a plane flying so bought the ARF, one of the few I did buy. I would rather build a kit if I have something to fly and I enjoy that as much as flying. Been playing around with these things for quite some time now and except for a break, have been enjoying building for most of that time. When I started, we didn't have a choice, but then we didn't know any better either. At least when I build them I know for sure how they went together and I know I didn't forget to glue something.There are some good ARF's out there, but you are going to pay for them. The rest are iffy at best. One thing I do know, the Telemaster is one GREAT flying plane and you are going to enjoy that one. I have been thinking of getting that same one so I can fly it in the park here. My senior is way to big to fly there.

Ed
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
KeninAZ

This morning I got notice that everything I ordered from 3 suppliers is shipping as of today.
My only problem may be the charger I ordered as it's back ordered.
I may have to buy a used or cheap one to get flying if my ordered units don't come in and get shipped in the next week or so.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

They have several cheap ones that are actually pretty good. The Turnigy Accuacell-6 is a pretty good one and it's around $30.00. The best one I have seen for LiPos is the FMA Cellpro 4S, but it only does LiPo batteries. You could call them and ask them about another charger to get one faster if you can't wait until that one comes in. There are really a lot of chargers out there that work great. If this will be your only charger for awhile, then it is best to get one that will change everything.

Ed
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
KeninAZ

Thanks, I had the Accucel 6 before.
I have two of them on order but I won't pay shipping (or time) form overseas and they are supposed to be in stock shortly at the US warehouse.
These chargers were out of stock overseas too a couple of weeks ago and it's an item they normally stock stateside so it's just a matter of them getting here.
I ordered 2 weeks ago and at that point they figured 7-30 days. Of course we don't know if that's accurate either.
If my chargers are not shipped from the US warehouse within a time frame that I like I will just cancel the order and go another way.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #21
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If you are ordering from Hobby King, I will not order anything that is not in stock, since they change you for the item at time of order even if it takes 3 months to get it in stock. If I want something that is not in stock, I ask for an e-mail for in stock and they get that out right away and then I order it. To cancel an order from them is almost impossible as they have already charged you for that item. They REALLY don't like you doing that. I know, I have done it before. There are other places that have that same changer either under a different name, or the same, but it is the same changer.

Ed
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
KeninAZ

I can cancel the charge really easy with my CU.
They just reverse the charges for non supplied goods. Been there and done that.
My CU will reverse the charges the same day I call them.
I just send a courtesy email to the place I ordered from to cancel the order informing them the charges have been reversed. They cancel really quickly then.
I would not have a credit card with my bank, in this case my CU, that worked any other way.
I learned how to do business a long time ago with outfits that don't refund my money promptly.
In this case it may not matter as I ordered them sometime ago but the charge is only pending, not posted to my account. Hobby King may have to do business differently shipping from a US facility, I don't know.
I had a huge argument with Disneyland when they tried to commit fraud against us.
I made reservations for the hotel and park on a package they advertised on their website. But I printed it before I paid for it in full.
When I got the emailed confirmation after spending almost $1800 with them I was one day short of the agreed to package.
They tried to tell me I was wrong and I told them all they wanted to do was collect for 2 people for another day in the park that I had already paid for.
I told them cancel and they wanted a $200 cancel fee. I told them to refund it all or I would do two things. Sue them for the $200 in small claims courts right here in my town (fat chance they would show and I win by default anyway) and I would publish what they were doing all over the internet.
They paid me the other monies they kept promptly. Old Walt would have turned over in his grave if he knew what they did.
Corporate America, what I can say.
I have been sued and sued in small claims court 11 times now. I have not lost once.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Unless rights are vigorously defended, they are lost.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #24
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Boy does that leave it open to a WIDE debate............. I agree though...

Ed
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #25
KeninAZ

Just because they a company happens to be a big corporation does not mean that they are right.
Regardless of how many attorneys they have.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners