Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #76
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
A good start.

Let me suggest that if you talk about a specific servo that you like, that you hate or that you have used in the past, post a link so that people can see the information about that servo.

Chellie - can you post a link for those HXT 9 Gram servos? I would like to see if they are analog or digital and if they have bearlings or not. I would like ot see their weight, dimmensions and their torque rating so I can tell if they will work for me.
Had an E-Flite servo fail today but didn't loose the plane. I have had trouble with ERc servos (stripping gears) and now E-FLite (jammed hard left on the rudder). Fortunately the failure today was on taxi and noit in the air! I have also had trouble with the Hi-Tec HS-55's chattering with insufficient torque.

I have had now failures with the HXT 900 servos from Hobby King and they have about 2X the torque. Until I hear about or find a better servo I am going with the HXT's. I know they draw more current but as long as you consider that in your setup it is fine...Use a stand alone BEC (good practice anyway as Chellie has pointed out many times).

Dave
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #77
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery40
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)
Default "New Power" servos??

Has anyone tried "New Power" servos?? EpBuddy.com here in the US sells them and the base 9gm servo is supposed to have more torque than the HXT900 and at about the same price. (< $3.00)

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...isd9j387kjb1v0

I just bought 4 of the base 9gm servos and 4 of the XL-9HMB servos. The XL-9HMB are still micro sized but are listed at 42 oz/in of torque and with ball bearings! As usual there are no power ratings on the specs for these servos. I'll try and play with these to see if they work.

Does anyone know I good method for non-destructive testing of servos? I don't have an actual servo tester, so the best I can do is hook it up to a receiver an see.....

Also, here's the info on HXT900 from HobbyKing. I don't think anyone posted it
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #78
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

This thread is really starting to get rich with info.

HERE'S THE CHALLENGE!

We need a "wattmeter" set-up for servos. We have wattmeters for the motor, how about a watt meter for the servos.

Remember that the current they will draw under load will be higher than the load at rest so testing them at rest is really not useful.

Also, pressure on the servo is directly related to air speed, angle of deflection and the surface area of the control surface and has nothing to do with the weight of the aircraft.

Anyone got a good method? Perhaps a good way to standardize the load?

Are we designing a new product here or does a real servo tester exist? Inquiring minds want to know.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #79
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

I would suggest the standard load be with the servo stalled, that is (I believe) the worst-case and also a measurable steady-state.

Stalled, meaning the servo is commanded to a position an immoveable object keeps it from reaching.

I assume you can stall pretty much any servo for a brief period without damage, it's pretty much their nature to be stalled under certain circumstances, no?

Dave
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #80
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I don't know if this has already been posted in this thread but have a look at this post and the linked PDF.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...23&postcount=2
Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #81
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

There's not much difference in the torque of the two servos, 1.9 to 1.6. The biggest attribute of the HXT900 is the strength of the servo gears. Same goes for the smaller HXT500.

Gord.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #82
SBS_Pilot

Friends: (0)

Being quite new to rc flying there is one thing I haven't really figured out yet, and that is servo classification. In some reviews in magazines, and in some building descriptions, the author may say something like "use 2 micro servos" or something similair.

Is there any distinct classification of servos, like standard: 45-45 grams, mini: 15-40 grams, etc etc, or is the nomenclature more or less free for personal interpretation? Has those 'names' been the same through history, or is a recommendation in a plan from 2001 for a mini servo something completely different from a mini servo of 2011?

Edit: For small servos, say 5 - 15 grams, is the output torque approximately linear to the weight of the servo? If not - why is the servos mostly mentioned as "9 grams servo" or similair?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #83
SBS_Pilot

@AEAJR: In another thread a long time ago you said that if budget restrictions prevents from having digital servos for all control surfaces, the elevator is the first priority in a glider. But which should be the second (and third)?

Could you (or someone else) make a priority list for which control surfaces benefits the most from having digital servos? Does the order differ depending on type of plane (trainer, glider, aerobatic, etc)? Does the order differ depending on available rudder surfaces (RE, RES, ARES, etc)?

Thank you all for an excellent thread!

/Stefan
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #84
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by SBS_Pilot View Post
@AEAJR: In another thread a long time ago you said that if budget restrictions prevents from having digital servos for all control surfaces, the elevator is the first priority in a glider. But which should be the second (and third)?

Could you (or someone else) make a priority list for which control surfaces benefits the most from having digital servos? Does the order differ depending on type of plane (trainer, glider, aerobatic, etc)? Does the order differ depending on available rudder surfaces (RE, RES, ARES, etc)?

Thank you all for an excellent thread!

/Stefan
After the elevator,it depends on what surfaces you have. Ailerons next, if you have them and rudder if you don't.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #85
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Ok, I've looked around a bit to no avail... Can someone please define a '9 gram' servo? And I guess there's a few other standard 'grams' out there as well?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #86
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery40
Club: United Flying Organization

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Ok, I've looked around a bit to no avail... Can someone please define a '9 gram' servo? And I guess there's a few other standard 'grams' out there as well?

Thanks!
Well technically it means a servo that weighs 9 grams. Generically it's used for any sub-micro sized servo. The Hitec HS-55 being the best known. Here's a link to some servo descriptions that also list weight.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-SERVOS/Categories

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #87
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Steve is right.

Here are the specs for a hitec HS-55 micro servo

at 4.8V
SPECS: Speed: 0.17 sec at 60
Output Torque: 15.27 oz-in (1.1 kg-cm)
Weight: 0.27oz (7.8g)
Length: 0.89" (22.8mm)
Width: 0.45" (11.6mm)
Height: 0.94" (24mm)

The first dark number is the strength or torque rating of the servo. This is the power that the servo uses to move and hold your surfaces under load. in this case, 15.2 ounce-inches.

The second dark number is the weight of the servo given here in ounces and grams.

Compare this to the Hitec HS65mg

Length: 0.92" (23.6mm)
Width: 0.45" (11.6mm)
Height: 0.94" (24mm)
Weigth: 0.44oz (12.5g)
Speed: 0.14sec/60 @ 4.8V
0.11sec/60 @ 6V
Output Torque: 24.99 oz-in (1.8 kg-cm) @ 4.8V
30.55 oz-in (2.2 kg-cm) @ 6V

We see that the HS-65 is about the same size as the HS-55 but it is heavier and more powerful.

We also note that it can be run at 4.8V or 6V where the HS-55 specs suggest it can only be run at 4.8V.

does that help?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #88
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I believe this is one of the most popular 9 gram servos. I have about 75 in use.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html
The gears are much thicker than most servos and take more of a beating.

Gord.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #89
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks, all! It's finally coming to me. Need some of these for a Starmax F-35.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #90
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

In most cases the instructions for your aircraft will suggest a servo, and you can use the specs of that servo to look at others. Or someone has a plane simliar to yours and you can see what they are using.

Look for reviews of your aircraft and see what servos were used in the review.

If you are flying typicsl small electrics, then the HS-55 or similar 9 gram servos are usually strong enough. But if you are flying something FAST you will likely need a stronger servos.

The torque requirements are not based on the weight of the plane but the area of the control surface and the speed of the plane.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #91
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thx AEAJR. The instructions just said '9 gram servos', so that's where I was starting. I'll search the threads for the plane and see what others used.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #92
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

So they are targeting the weight of the servo rather than a strength of servo. They are talking about a servo in the Hitec HS-55 range or the HXT900 that was posted earlier.

I would say something with 12 or higher inch/ounce range is probably fine. More never hurts.

Just as an aside, the HXT900 is marked as a 9g servo in the title, but if you look at the specs, it weighs 11 grams. Go figure. But it would likely still be fine. I am more of a Hitec guy myself.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #93
roncadenhead

Very interesting info. Thanks for starting the session for learning about servos. I have a HZ 7400 DSM LP 2.4 RTF Super Cub. I have only flown a bit of Helis in the recent past.

After finishing the Super Cub and working and crashing on a simulator, I decided to purchase a Dynam ICanFly 2.4 LP RTF cheaper 1200mm wingspan crasher, I mean learner/flyer to train on. This was despite that several people in forums said the Dynam had cruddy electronics. Perhaps they were correct in that out of 3 servos, sometimes one will work almost OK. The other two may have what I have seen here as centering issues.

When I power off, I can manually center the arm on the servo. Upon power up, they will jump to one side or the other and will only move just a bit on that side of the movement, never going back to center let alone turning the other way.

Should I start purchasing new servos and other electronics before I get it off the ground or am I missing something in setup? There are literally no bad translation instructions about setup of servos on the plane.

I wonder if it has to go so far as pull the servos out and move the arms 50 or so degrees and try it again. They are glued into the plane. This seems beyond what I have seen on any forum.

If I should start purchasing, how far do I have to go into ESCs and Receivers to ensure I have a pretty good setup to train with? The receiver is a Dynam 4 channel as it was another RTF.

I hope I sent enough useful information for some assistance as it is beautiful outside, but I am grounded.
Thank you,
Ron
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #94
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by roncadenhead View Post
Very interesting info. Thanks for starting the session for learning about servos. I have a HZ 7400 DSM LP 2.4 RTF Super Cub. I have only flown a bit of Helis in the recent past.

After finishing the Super Cub and working and crashing on a simulator, I decided to purchase a Dynam ICanFly 2.4 LP RTF cheaper 1200mm wingspan crasher, I mean learner/flyer to train on. This was despite that several people in forums said the Dynam had cruddy electronics. Perhaps they were correct in that out of 3 servos, sometimes one will work almost OK. The other two may have what I have seen here as centering issues.

When I power off, I can manually center the arm on the servo. Upon power up, they will jump to one side or the other and will only move just a bit on that side of the movement, never going back to center let alone turning the other way.

Should I start purchasing new servos and other electronics before I get it off the ground or am I missing something in setup? There are literally no bad translation instructions about setup of servos on the plane.

I wonder if it has to go so far as pull the servos out and move the arms 50 or so degrees and try it again. They are glued into the plane. This seems beyond what I have seen on any forum.

If I should start purchasing, how far do I have to go into ESCs and Receivers to ensure I have a pretty good setup to train with? The receiver is a Dynam 4 channel as it was another RTF.

I hope I sent enough useful information for some assistance as it is beautiful outside, but I am grounded.
Thank you,
Ron
If you are trying to center your servos:

1) Power up radio, then plane
2) If this is a computer radio - remove all subtrim settings.
3) Remove the servo arm with control rod attached.
4) move stick to confirm servo is still moving properly - no snag, not hang-up, etc.
5) Now, Reset the servo arm so the surface is centered as close as possible
6) use an adjustments in the clevis to get things centered
8) Your servo should now be centered with no adjustments to the radio.

9) if the surface is still off a bit AND you have no ability to adjust it mechanically, use the subm trim feature in the computer radio, or the trim buttons to get that final tiny big of adjustment.

Hope that helps. This must all be done with the radio and the plane powered.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #95
roncadenhead

I will try that AEAJR. I will have to cut them out as they are glued in and there is no way to reach the servo arm retaining screw.
I will try one of the various methods of restraining the servos rather than epoxy.
Thanks for the procedure. I could not believe that was necessary, but the instructions mentioned nothing about it.
Ron
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #96
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by roncadenhead View Post
I will try that AEAJR. I will have to cut them out as they are glued in and there is no way to reach the servo arm retaining screw.
I will try one of the various methods of restraining the servos rather than epoxy.
Thanks for the procedure. I could not believe that was necessary, but the instructions mentioned nothing about it.
Ron
I am not saying that it IS necessary. This is a standard procedure for installing new servvos.

RTFs come with this already done and should not require this procedure.

However you seem to indicate that your servos are not centered.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #97
roncadenhead

AEAJR
I followed the steps you suggested on the ailerons and it worked great. I will repeat it on the elevator and the rudder as soon as i can determine the best method for removing the servo or the servo arm. I feel sure that will correct my issues. I had no idea you needed to do that to new servos and especially to the OEM servers on a RTF.
Thanks so much for the solution.
Ron
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #98
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Typiclly RTFs that have their own radios don't require you to do this .... typically. However if you are using your own radio or if you are changing servos, you may have to do this.

Glad it workedout.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 AM   #99
DanWard

Default Digital servo resolution?

I have always used analog servos. But been reading about the digital and before i buy them for a plane that cost big money, well I'm building a DHS 38" EPP Slick.

So I purchased a pair of digital 9g servos for the aelerons and analog TP 9g servo for rudder and elevator.

I understand digital resolution. But these digital servos are more like stepper motors. Step, step, step...as they move. fast steps but steps.

Analog servos are smooth operating and the resolution appears infinite. But the digital you can count each individual step. Based on the specs to speed, torque, etc is great. But the spec says nothing about the resolution.

So do all digital servos have the same resolution?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #100
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Resolution is set by the radio, as I understand it. Most radios are are 1024 step resolution. Many higher end radios are 2048 resolution. If you go back a ways they were 512 step resolution.

The Analog may look continous but they are commanded by the radio and the radio works in steps. The Digitals are simply more precise in the steps and they tend to return to a position with more precision. That is why I use them. I want that reliable centering that digitals seem to provide.

That is my understanding of how it works.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners