Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

View Angler-Hi's Gallery20
Send a message via Yahoo to Angler-Hi
Friends: (40)
Default Wow Planes Liquid Cheeting II?

Has anyone used the LSII from Wow Planes bafore? I was looking at some of their on-line manuals for their birds and saw how they were using it. I was wondering though, if anyone has used it on a foam ARF before. Not so much just on bare foam, but on a foam bird that's already glossed or painted.

Would I need to sand that gloss coat or paint off before applying? Just curious. Thanks.

Mike

The best teacher in the world is experience...now go fly something already
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Hi Mike Normally its best to scuff a surface before applying anything that will adhere to it, its just helps to Guaranty that a product will stick better just a lite scuffing is needed like with steel wool or fine sand paper, and wipeing the surface with like Rubbing Alcohol to remove any oils and dust, that liquid sheeting looks like a nice product, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Chellie. I read that too, but wasn't sure how the process would hold up on foam that had already been painted or coated. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

View raido56's Gallery77
Club: www.neprcc.org
Friends: (0)

This stuff is alot better than the wow planes stuff and it's easy to put on.

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...25d935ad69e66d

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by raido56 View Post
This stuff is alot better than the wow planes stuff and it's easy to put on.

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...25d935ad69e66d

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Thanks herb. looks pretty darn cool friend. Just wonder how many 6oz bottles i would need for a 5ft jet witha a 4ft wingspan, lol. Especially when it recommends 8-10 coats for maximum strength.

have you used this stuff before? What's it look and feel like when it's dry? I noticed it mentioned a rubber coat. definitely something I'd like to try on one of my profile pushers. Thanks again bud!

Mike

Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

View raido56's Gallery77

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Thanks herb. looks pretty darn cool friend. Just wonder how many 6oz bottles i would need for a 5ft jet witha a 4ft wingspan, lol. Especially when it recommends 8-10 coats for maximum strength.

have you used this stuff before? What's it look and feel like when it's dry? I noticed it mentioned a rubber coat. definitely something I'd like to try on one of my profile pushers. Thanks again bud!

Mike
Hi Mike, I have not used it. But my flying buddy has been used it on about 10 planes and loves it. I think he said he gets about 3 parkzone size planes done on one bottle. I will ask him how he puts it on when I see him this week and get back to you.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hi Mike, I have not used it. But my flying buddy has been used it on about 10 planes and loves it. I think he said he gets about 3 parkzone size planes done on one bottle. I will ask him how he puts it on when I see him this week and get back to you.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Thanks a million Herb. That would be great. I really appreciate it friend.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

View raido56's Gallery77

Thanks a million Herb. That would be great. I really appreciate it friend.
Hey Mike, I saw my buddy today he said he gets about 5 to 6 ParkZone size planes done from one bottle. He does about 3 coats on each plane with a paint brush. Do a coat let it dry then the next and so on. The 8 to 9 coats would be for maximum strength but like he said would be overkill.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Mike, I saw my buddy today he said he gets about 5 to 6 ParkZone size planes done from one bottle. He does about 3 coats on each plane with a paint brush. Do a coat let it dry then the next and so on. The 8 to 9 coats would be for maximum strength but like he said would be overkill.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
Your the man Herb. Thanks for the tip bud. Now, do the brushstrokes disappear as it dries, or do you have to do anything else to get a nice smooth finish? Thanks again friend.

Mike

Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)
Default Tought Rubbery Skin..... ?

This stuff is alot better than the wow planes stuff and it's easy to put on. http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...25d935ad69e66d
Keep em flying raido56/ Herb

Herb,

Somehow I can't get a positive picture of something which the seller says is a tough~rubbery skin when a scale model is involved...
especially when a foamie race plane is pictured in their ad.

LSII is not intended to produce something to overcome the results of a crash. Its intended to produce a "hard" metallic replicating
surface over wood or foam. Surface can be further finished with Flite-Metal or painted and the foam beads will not show through
the finish. I don't believe the two products are aimed at the same end result.

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Herb,

Somehow I can't get a positive picture of something which the seller says is a tough~rubbery skin when a scale model is involved...
especially when a foamie race plane is pictured in their ad.

LSII is not intended to produce something to overcome the results of a crash. Its intended to produce a "hard" metallic replicating
surface over wood or foam. Surface can be further finished with Flite-Metal or painted and the foam beads will not show through
the finish. I don't believe the two products are aimed at the same end result.
Makes sense. I'm primarily looking for something to cover the foam so when I paint it, I can get a good smooth look to her. I don't want it to look like a foam bird.

I plan on glassing her anyways with silk and Minwax WBP. However, if I can get away with using that rubber coating, I'd definitely be willing to experiment with it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

You guys might also look at EnviroTex. You can get it at Michaels Craft Stores. It is a 2 part product like epoxy but the cure time is 24+ Hours. I painted a A4 GWS Skyhawk and then coated it using a brush and Enviro Tex. It makes a nice clear glossy finish that wont yellow like some products such as finishing resin. I brought the A4 to the air field and the guys there couldn't believe it was a foamy.

All these products look like winners!!

CTD
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Crash Test Dummy View Post
You guys might also look at EnviroTex. You can get it at Michaels Craft Stores. It is a 2 part product like epoxy but the cure time is 24+ Hours. I painted a A4 GWS Skyhawk and then coated it using a brush and Enviro Tex. It makes a nice clear glossy finish that wont yellow like some products such as finishing resin. I brought the A4 to the air field and the guys there couldn't believe it was a foamy.

All these products look like winners!!

CTD
Thanks friend. I looked it up on-line. Looks pretty cool and relatively simple to use. Does it dry with brush strokes, or do they fade away as it settles? Also, what about the weight? Does it hold up pretty good over time with all the flights and what not...crack, get brittle, Etc?

I would love to try it out for sure! Expensive, lol, but would love to give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion bud.

Mike

Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

One thing that works well for improving the surface appearance of bead foam is Microlite iron-on covering. It's really easy to apply at low temps over foam, painted or not, and has a shrink rate several times that of standard coverings. There is some added strength, like all coverings add to foam, but not as much due to the extremely light weight. Most of the wings on my foam planes are covered with this stuff, and then painted.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
One thing that works well for improving the surface appearance of bead foam is Microlite iron-on covering. It's really easy to apply at low temps over foam, painted or not, and has a shrink rate several times that of standard coverings. There is some added strength, like all coverings add to foam, but not as much due to the extremely light weight. Most of the wings on my foam planes are covered with this stuff, and then painted.
Thanks Bill. Do you have to coat that covering with primer before painting, or does that paint cover nicely and hold well without primer?

Sure am glad I started this thread, lol. Now I will have so many products to experiment with and see what works best. Definitely worth posting once I've finished playing with all these products and methods. Thanks again for your suggestion and response. I really appreciate it friend.

Mike

Old 11-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)

Considering this could be utilized on "sheeted" as well as a beaded foamies surface there are differing
degrees of customer expectation. This product interests me as an interm-step to smooth a medium
prior to application of Flite-Metal.

I have a strong inclination to begin utilizing an Up3D printer to create components I previously had to
make with a plug, then make a mold, just to turn around and lay up fiberglass to create.

These printers permit rendering intricate shapes rapidly by comparison to traditional methods. The price
point differential manifests itself in surface texture. I am testing to see if it is possible for me to achieve
a metal smooth and hard surface utilizing LSII applied to that of an Up3D printed item.

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Looks pretty sweet Flite-Metal!! Gotta let us know how that things works out for you man!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #18
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Mike, reading the instructions on WowPlanes site, it looks like you have to prep the foam just like if you were going to glass or paint it. Sand, fill, sand, then apply the coating.

Anywho, hopefully it works out for ya. I just royally screwed up a foamy today.

Built a new Eflite airliner and decided like you I wanted a strong finish so it didn't get dinked every time you look at it.

Sanded, glassed with poly and 3/4 glass, followed by Spackle, and 3 more coats of poly. Had it looking sweet! Let it dry two days in the Florida sun, then wet sanded it for paint prep.

That is until I primed it this morning. Two coats of rattle can fill primer. Came back an hour later to pure disaster.

The primer had eaten through the poly like nobody's business. All the way through the glass and into the foam in spots. My glass like fuse looked like the surface of the moon, or if I has bathed the bare foam with CA.

12 hours later, after sanding the doo doo out of it, I'm on a 3rd coat of poly/micro balloons/ talc powder trying to get it leveled out again.

Needless to say the primer won't be used on the rest of the bird.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Thanks friend. I looked it up on-line. Looks pretty cool and relatively simple to use. Does it dry with brush strokes, or do they fade away as it settles? Also, what about the weight? Does it hold up pretty good over time with all the flights and what not...crack, get brittle, Etc?

I would love to try it out for sure! Expensive, lol, but would love to give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion bud.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I didnt get a weight before and after so I'm not sure how the numbers shake out. The brush strokes are not an issue. This stuff flows like crazy! When I built my GWS A-4 Skyhawk, I painted everything before building cause the EnviroTex really flows and I didnt want the Enviro to pool in the area where the wings [ECT] meet the fuse. I hung each part from strings after applying the EnviroTex to let it flow and drip. It will take more than 24 hours to cure. Dont touch it or you will have finger prints in your final finish.

It will dry clear and will not yellow over time like finishing resin. It also has a VERY HIGH GLOSS finish. If U dont want the high gloss all you need to do is spray a lite coat of dull clear coat over the fully cured finish. That wil matte out the gloss.

It seems to be holding up very well. I bullt the A-4 2.5 years ago and it looks as good as day one. The cost is a bit high, but it go's a long way and they make it in smaller sizes. I think I paid 20 bucks for the kit I got. Comes in a 2 part kit. Just mix 50-50 just like Epoxy. I'm at work now so no access to my photos or I would post a pix. However below is a link to a video of the plane doing 3 flybys passes. Can't see the finish in the video too well but U can see the end result.

I usually fly behind my house but one day last year I went to the BIG BOYS CLUB {the club is full of guys with turbines and really expensive birds] with a buddy who is a member and all the guys there thought the A-4 was a Fiberglass plane. They didn't believe my plane was a foamy until I removed the canopy and they could see the foam battery bay.

CTD
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Brad,

How U doing buddy?! Long time no see. Sorry to hear about your finishing nightmare. I wonder why the primer ate through the poly and glass. I have used spray can paint many times over glassed foam without any trouble. What brand of primer was that? I'm sure we would all like to stay away form using it in the future.

CTD
Old 11-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #21
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Back at ya!!!
Still at the dealership?

It was Duplicolor filling primer.

Note I figured out afterwards. I was using regular oil based poly and not water based. Don't know it that had something to do with it or not. But I'm thinking it was something like that.

I even had a couple of spots on the wing where I used regular old spot putty on the glassed surfaces and it started to do the same thing after it sat for a day.

Took 10 + coats of poly/talc/micro balloons to get it close enough tha tI can start sanding it back to shape again. But I'm going to let it sit outside in the sun for a week. Just to be sure. And I'm going with water based poly this time.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #22
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Back at ya!!!
Still at the dealership?

It was Duplicolor filling primer.

Note I figured out afterwards. I was using regular oil based poly and not water based. Don't know it that had something to do with it or not. But I'm thinking it was something like that.

I even had a couple of spots on the wing where I used regular old spot putty on the glassed surfaces and it started to do the same thing after it sat for a day.

Took 10 + coats of poly/talc/micro balloons to get it close enough tha tI can start sanding it back to shape again. But I'm going to let it sit outside in the sun for a week. Just to be sure. And I'm going with water based poly this time.
GG,

Yep still selling cars! Hyundai has some very nice stuff out these days. Good to see ya.

I"m thinking about a BD 5 for next spring. I really love that plane. It can be fast but it flys slow too. Best of both worlds. Water based Poly is the way to go. Sounds like you may have added a lot of weight trying to fix your finish. What the heck that's how we live and learn.

CTD
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about that friend. I've only used WBP by Minwax. I have no basis for any other type. Also, i don't use anything in an aerosol can. I hate spraypaint. Always gunks up and spits.

I'm gonna pick up a cheapie foamie or use some regular styro to experiment with. Really looking forward to that. Should be leaving Iraq and getting back home in two weeks. The anticipation is killing me, lol.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #24
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Thanks Bill. Do you have to coat that covering with primer before painting, or does that paint cover nicely and hold well without primer?

Sure am glad I started this thread, lol. Now I will have so many products to experiment with and see what works best. Definitely worth posting once I've finished playing with all these products and methods. Thanks again for your suggestion and response. I really appreciate it friend.

Mike
Just caught this. A dust coat of primer helps, but I just spray it, and live with the flaking. Pat Tritle uses vinegar for etching the Microlite covering, if I remember correctly. I'm sure you'll be glad to be back. You've been there far too long and often, if I remember correctly. Once is more than enough.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Just caught this. A dust coat of primer helps, but I just spray it, and live with the flaking. Pat Tritle uses vinegar for etching the Microlite covering, if I remember correctly. I'm sure you'll be glad to be back. You've been there far too long and often, if I remember correctly. Once is more than enough.
Thanks Bill, lol. Well I'm home now and ready to start experimenting with my foamies. Looking to purchase some large foam jets and want the perfect look to them.

I plan on picking up some of these products and experiment on some spare foam I have lying around...keep you all posted on my progress.

Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets