Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
emjdrvr

Friends: (0)
Default HK watt meter with lipos in series problem

Hi i have the HK P1 high voltage watt meter, i am running a 9s setup in my funtana using eflite power 110 and hv85 with a CC BEC. My problem is that when i hook up the watt meter the motor wont arm and cant be tested, however all the servos work fine. I tried to trouble shoot the issue and when i hook up a single 6s battery everything ( esc,motor,watt meter ) work like they should. But like i said when i hook the watt meter up with lipos in series i get no power to the esc or motor. Please help
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by emjdrvr View Post
Hi i have the HK P1 high voltage watt meter, i am running a 9s setup in my funtana using eflite power 110 and hv85 with a CC BEC. My problem is that when i hook up the watt meter the motor wont arm and cant be tested, however all the servos work fine. I tried to trouble shoot the issue and when i hook up a single 6s battery everything ( esc,motor,watt meter ) work like they should. But like i said when i hook the watt meter up with lipos in series i get no power to the esc or motor. Please help
Way off the topic, but I've been using the Sears Craftsman #82369 digital AC/DC clamp on ammeter for measuring higher currents. That clamp on meter won't measure watts, but most of the time, current is the critical item. Since this meter doesn't actually connect to the unit under test, it can measure anything normally found around the home. Like the starter current on my truck pulls about 150 Amps, and its alternator puts out about 60 amps after leaving the headlights on for 5 minutes or so.

Note that most clamp on ammeters are AC only, this unit reads both AC and DC. You measure current by just clamping its jaws around one of the battery wires. No need to have adaptors. I've checked the DC current accuracy against my $$$$ Fluke 87V meter, it meets accuracy specifications. Nice.

It's got AC and DC current ranges of 0-40 and 0-400 Amps, plus the usual volts frequency resistance, and even thermocouple temperature.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=82369%20meter

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems