Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
maurof

Friends: (0)
Default Foam reinforcing

I wanted to know your opinions about reinforcing EPO or EPP wings.
It's for a competition, so they have to be strong and very light. We always have the spar option, but I don't think is going to be ass effective for this job.

Does anyone know a good way of coating the wings to make them stronger, without adding too much extra weight? Any homemade formula to protect the wings and fuselage?

Thank you very much!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
eflight-ray

Friends: (3)

You probably need to define what sort of competition, aerobatic maneuvers ?, weight lifting ?, pylon racing high 'G' turns ?. Also the type and size of model, wing shape and section, also wing thickness, as all these could determine the better and lighter method. Is the wing likely to twist, (wide chord, thin section). There are too many guesses to offer a useful method.

Spars are probably the easier method, but even then a single spar or an 'A' frame is possible. Glassing a wing adds 'ding proofing', but it's still not particularly strong on a thin wing unless you use a heavier cloth and good epoxy resin.

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,167 Times in 2,075 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
You probably need to define what sort of competition, aerobatic maneuvers ?, weight lifting ?, pylon racing high 'G' turns ?. Also the type and size of model, wing shape and section, also wing thickness, as all these could determine the better and lighter method. Is the wing likely to twist, (wide chord, thin section). There are too many guesses to offer a useful method.

Spars are probably the easier method, but even then a single spar or an 'A' frame is possible. Glassing a wing adds 'ding proofing', but it's still not particularly strong on a thin wing unless you use a heavier cloth and good epoxy resin.
+1 to many varibles, with out knowing what its going to used for, I would guess that a balsa or thin ply wood i beam and honeycombed foam inside the wing, with a lite film covering might be the lightest way to go, but then again, i dont know what your competition rules are, you need to clue us in on that there are a bunch of Nerds, Geeks and Egg heads like myself here that can help you out. Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

My Favorite way to brace a foam wing is with a Square CF tube, i always brace my Foam wings to withstand 10G s, the wing is 9mm depron with a 10mm Square carbon fiber tube, its very very strong it does not take much to get to 10 Gs, http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ighlight=force

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
maurof

Friends: (0)

Thanks for the answers!
The competition is has 3 parts: 2 of them are freight flies (got to move around 2kg of payload), and the other is completing laps against time.
we will try to minimize the model, keep it below 1.5 m wingspan, and for the airfoil we were thinking of some standard one with a big camber. But any other ideas would be highly appreciated!!
Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by maurof View Post
Thanks for the answers!
The competition is has 3 parts: 2 of them are freight flies (got to move around 2kg of payload), and the other is completing laps against time.
we will try to minimize the model, keep it below 1.5 m wingspan, and for the airfoil we were thinking of some standard one with a big camber. But any other ideas would be highly appreciated!!
Thanks again!
ok, thats about 4.4 Lbs for us in the states are you allowed to use wood and carbon Fiber and whats the ratio of foam to other materials thats allowed, for competition against time, i would make a delta plane with the motor in the front to be on the safe side, as a pusher could give you a prop bite when launching, do you have to lift the 2kg for the lap times If you do, then i would make the plane like a OV-10 Bronco with a short wide thick wing and twin Fuselage and twin motors, the weight then can be put under the wing in the fuselage for your CG. with twin motors it will be fast, and take off in a short distance, the Bronco was made for short take offs and landings, a wide thick wing will allow it to carry a lot of weight under control. Just my 2 cents worth, take care, Chellie

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Club: None (yet...)
Friends: (7)

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but if you're doing a foamie then using a KF-3 airfoil (designed for heavy lifting) could be a possibility. Ive heard good things about them.

Hanger: GWS Slow Stick; Nutball

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies