Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Hacker A60-5S motor

After being on order from the local hobby shop for 5 weeks, just got my new Hacker A60-5S motor.

This motor looks well made, as usual for this supplier. It's going into a Top Flight Cessna Skylane 182 with 82 inch wingspan, and 10S2P A123 cells.

It's been powered up with a 16X10 prop, turning it at 7200 RPM. That was only around 1300 watts, so this motor needs a 18-12 or so prop. Only problem is, ground clearance, might have to go to a three blade 16 inch prop.

Did try powering it up with a 19X12 APC-E prop, that was scary, a LOT of horsepower.

One interesting thing, that prop shaft measures 9.52 mm diameter, not the 8 mm indicated in the Hacker website. . Kind of odd till my digital caliper was set to inches, that is a exact 3/8 inch shaft. Quite heavy duty to say the least.

This model will be a winter project, and don't expect to fly it til the snow clears around here in 2012.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker A60-5S - WF.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	154797

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association
Friends: (8)
Default Very Nice!

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
After being on order from the local hobby shop for 5 weeks, just got my new Hacker A60-5S motor.

This motor looks well made, as usual for this supplier. It's going into a Top Flight Cessna Skylane 182 with 82 inch wingspan, and 10S2P A123 cells.

It's been powered up with a 16X10 prop, turning it at 7200 RPM. That was only around 1300 watts, so this motor needs a 18-12 or so prop. Only problem is, ground clearance, might have to go to a three blade 16 inch prop.

Did try powering it up with a 19X12 APC-E prop, that was scary, a LOT of horsepower.

One interesting thing, that prop shaft measures 9.52 mm diameter, not the 8 mm indicated in the Hacker website. . Kind of odd till my digital caliper was set to inches, that is a exact 3/8 inch shaft. Quite heavy duty to say the least.

This model will be a winter project, and don't expect to fly it til the snow clears around here in 2012.
Noticed you have what looks to be powerpoles for ESC to motor connections. I'm using powerwerx PP's for battery to ESC hookups in my 40 size planes. Would they work well on the ESC/motor side if they fit? I'm using 3.5mm and 4.0mm bullets but I like the APP's

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
Noticed you have what looks to be powerpoles for ESC to motor connections. I'm using powerwerx PP's for battery to ESC hookups in my 40 size planes. Would they work well on the ESC/motor side if they fit? I'm using 3.5mm and 4.0mm bullets but I like the APP's
Certainly you can use the PowerPole connectors for the motor power wires. Their only problem is their physical size being a lot larger than the bullet connectors.

What you've got to watch for though is the Hacker motor leads have solder on them. Crimping wires with solder on them must be done with a proper crimper to get a good connection through that solder.

DennyV
Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association
Friends: (8)
Wink

Certainly you can use the PowerPole connectors for the motor power wires. Their only problem is their physical size being a lot larger than the bullet connectors.

What you've got to watch for though is the Hacker motor leads have solder on them. Crimping wires with solder on them must be done with a proper crimper to get a good connection through that solder.
I'm using this guy from Powerwerx.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIcrimp_med.gif
Views:	47
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	155000

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
I'm using this guy from Powerwerx.
Yup
That's the same crimper I'm using. And, after looking at the crimp job on the solder tinned lead wires from the Hacker motors with a microscope, it looks good.

FYI, this is a very good price on this sort of crimper. It's not as high quality as those crimpers used on production lines. But those production line crimpers for these terminals have prices that START at about 10 times the $39 for this unit. Methinks the average electric flyer might make 500 or so crimps over a period of several years. But on a production line, those production crimpers could do that in a half day.

Nowdays, production lines are likely using air operated automatic terminal crimpers. If you need to know the price of those things, you can't afford it.

DennyV
Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
70sflyer

View 70sflyer's Gallery2
Club: Quiet flyers
Friends: (1)

The Cessna 182 is a great flyer,have fun.good to see your using A123 batterys.I am building a Hanger 9 corsair and first time with A123 batterys if I could get your thinking.I have a AXI 4130/20,castlel phoenix 80,10 amp BEC.Right now I have 2 A123 ,4600mAh,3s2p batterys to hook up in series.Is that to much?New to A123 batt is,it seems heavy.Thanks Dean
Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by 70sflyer View Post
The Cessna 182 is a great flyer,have fun.good to see your using A123 batterys.I am building a Hanger 9 corsair and first time with A123 batterys if I could get your thinking.I have a AXI 4130/20,castlel phoenix 80,10 amp BEC.Right now I have 2 A123 ,4600mAh,3s2p batterys to hook up in series.Is that to much?New to A123 batt is,it seems heavy.Thanks Dean
H'mmm
I ran the AXI numbers through www.motocalc.com. Results were not very good. The problem is, this AXI motor is designed to run on up to 8 LiPo cells, with fairly low current inputs. Running this motor on 6S2P A123 cells IMHO would not be a good setup. It would take perhaps 9S or 10S A123's to do a good job with that AXI.

This AXI motor only has a KV rating of 305, and a winding resistance value of 0.099 ohms. That very high winding resistance is a concern.

As a comparison, (I'm an admitted Hacker nut!), I've got two Hacker A50-12S motors. They have a KV rating of 500, and also have a winding resistance of 0.016 ohms. That's 1/6th the winding resistance of the AXI motor. By actual test, those Hackers turn a 14X10 APC-E prop at 7600 RPM, pulling 65 Amps, 1080 Watts, with 88% efficiency. They put out about 10 pounds of thrust, and haul an 8.5 pound model with authority.

AXI rates this motor at a maximum of 55 Amps. Since power lost in the windings alone is amperes times amperes times resistance, that's 55^2 times 0.099 or 300 watts lost in the AXI motors windings. Add to that 300 watts, added watts lost in magnetic effects and so on.

Compare that to the Hacker A50-12S motor, where it will loose 60^2 times 0.016 or 57 watts in its windings. Big difference. My Hackers are running at 60-70 Amps full throttle on the ground, and are only about 10-15 degrees F above ambient on landing as measured by a thermocouple thermometer.

Motocalc suggests my Hacker motors are running about 88% efficiency, where the AXI motor is only 57% efficiency at 1000 watts input. Motocalc suggests the AXI motor would be OK at about 500 watts or so. Motocalc suggests running the AXI motor at 1000 watts would burn it up.

That's interesting, the AXI motor is an ounce and a half heavier than the Hacker A50-12S motor.

After running my A123 cells now for four flying seasons, with some of them having over 300 flights, they all have the same exact performance under 60 Amps loads as when they were brand new. IMHO, A123 cells are not as good as LiPos when you consider weight, and power or watts output from them. They will be about 1/3 more weight when running the same ampere hours and same watts output.

On the other hand, with a high powered charger, you can charge them in 15 minutes. And, they have absolutely zero fire hazard. And, they seem to last a LONG time.

In fact, el stupido accidentally shorted out a 2S1P receiver pack a few days ago. It was wired with #20 wire. The wire lost, the A123 pack won. Burnt the wire right out of the insulation. The A123 pack was completely unaffected by it.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems