Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
kikaida01

Friends: (0)
Default Pros and cons: which would you get?

I'm a beginner..so want to get RTF package with 6 channel radio but
love those old warbirds.. had a Cox .049 U control Corsair in the last ice age.. about 1960.. so want another Warbird electric..
so here's is the line up for a second plane: (the Apprentice is nice too but....) nothing like a Warbird..

Either Airfield: Corsair, Hellcat, Mustang, Zero RTF version

versus

Hobbico RTF: Scale Foce Wulf FW-190
with Tactic 6 channel.. have a 4 channel from E-Flite Apprentice right now.....

Hobbico seems like they have a lot of support.. some reviews said some negative things about support from Airfield / Nitroplanes.. etc.

got this fancy charger called a Venom Procharger.. but don't know how to use it.. anyone got a good website that teaches about this venom thing..?

Thanks again..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by kikaida01 View Post
I'm a beginner..so want to get RTF package with 6 channel radio but
love those old warbirds.. had a Cox .049 U control Corsair in the last ice age.. about 1960.. so want another Warbird electric..
so here's is the line up for a second plane: (the Apprentice is nice too but....) nothing like a Warbird..

Either Airfield: Corsair, Hellcat, Mustang, Zero RTF version

versus

Hobbico RTF: Scale Foce Wulf FW-190
with Tactic 6 channel.. have a 4 channel from E-Flite Apprentice right now.....

Hobbico seems like they have a lot of support.. some reviews said some negative things about support from Airfield / Nitroplanes.. etc.

got this fancy charger called a Venom Procharger.. but don't know how to use it.. anyone got a good website that teaches about this venom thing..?

Thanks again..
Is this your first RC model? If so, IMHO, it's best to start off with a typical trainer model rather than a military type model that takes a little flying experience to fly.

Neighbor of my son up in "North" Wisconsin came to fly with a 60 sized model airplane. Never flew a model before. My son warned the guy that model won't last 30 seconds. The guy didn't want any help.

(BTW, It didn't. )

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I would go further and ask how much knowledge you have on how an airplane flies, the 4 forces that act on a plane, what prop torque is and which way it will turn your plane, stalling, landing technique, model orientation and how it can mix you up.......

The problem here is, all we know about your aeronautical knowledge, since we're on the web, is that you're a beginner who flew a control line Cox Corsair around 50 years ago. So no one here could recommend with a clear conciense (Sp?) that you go out and buy an expensive warbird as your first plane. There are some good ones as a 2nd plane, once you're really good with a trainer, or at least more docile flyer.

You're smart in getting the best radio you can early on, as it will stay with you for a long time. That is, if you know you're going to stay with the hobby.

Welcome to Wattflyer, by the way. I think one of the best RC forums there is.

Edit: I just re-read the original post. The 6ch radio that comes with the rtf's is NOT the best radio you can get... Unless something new is going on, it's only good for one model at a time, has no expo, mixes, etc.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
You're smart in getting the best radio you can early on, as it will stay with you for a long time. That is, if you know you're going to stay with the hobby.

Welcome to Wattflyer, by the way. I think one of the best RC forums there is.

Have you checked for any RC clubs in your area? A lot of the AMA clubs out there are looking for new members, and many of them also have instructors and training programs for those new members. An RC club can greatly inprove your odds of learning how to fly an RC model without the issue of wrecking your model in the process.

One way to find a local club is the AMA website, below:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
prof_fate

Friends: (1)

What size plane? What's your budget?

The airfiled planes come in 2 sizes - 35" and 55" (more or less). Larger is easier to fly - less wind issues, easier to see - but they need more space to fly in. They cost more to buy and repair too - bigger heavier planes break more when they dont' land nicely - props cost more, etc.

There are also UM planes - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1680 is the corsair but they have a number of others including a twin engine mosquito! about 17" wingspan but around $150 including radio or $120 without makes them attractive.

Seriously consider a spektrum DX6i radio and then you can bind up to 10 planes to it each with their own custom settings - you also get expo which can tame a plane until you get used to it. I've bound some of the less expensive planes and helis to it (replacing the 'free' radio included with them) and wow, they're sooooo much easier to control with a better radio!

I'm strongly considering the smaller airfield corsair or FW190 as one of my next planes - I'm barely flying and not ready to risk crashing a good plane quite yet,but for the price they're hard to beat.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

Having seen this kind of question before.... and seeing the responses above... it might not be want you want to hear.... but it is wisdom. In the long run, patience and learning up front will pay off down the road. We have a guy in our little flying group that taught himself how to fly, but it was on a high wing in expensive foamy trainer. It's rare that someone can do that without more mishaps then he had. But again it was on a trainer.

Jeff

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

OK, upon further reading, do you currently have and fly an Apprentice? It's not clear in your first post.

If that's the case, and your doing loops, rolls, inverted flight and spot landings, then you should be ready for a tame warbird. The Apprentice was my 1st plane and I followed up with the PZ Corsair. Not as fancy as the Airfield ones, but a great flyer, and almost as easy to fly as the Apprentice. I still managed in one stupid incident, to break the prop, bend the prop shaft, smash the cowl and motor mount, break the wing and fuselage almost in half. A few parts and glue, and she was back in the air, still flies great. But my landings... I managed to break the gear mounts out of the wings like 3 times, then the last time I guess I glued on in too good, because instead of coming out of the wing, the mount just broke. So I bought retracts and vowed to never get too slow at landing again, and I don't! I still take the ole Aprentice up now and then, especially for touch and go's to keep my landings nice. She's great for practicing in gusty winds.

Sorry to carry on like that. Anyways, I can't speak for the planes you mentioned, not having flown them. I would read the professional reviews if you can find any, and take those with a huge grain of salt. (They usually get these planes for free...) And then hit all the forums and read what the average Joe is experiencing with them. As with any research project, you will sometimes see extremes ('This plane is the bestest ever!' and/or 'This plane sucks like nothing ever has!'), but try to look in the middle, if you know what I mean.

I've browsed around for info on that Hobbico FW-190 and it looks awesome but I'm still not sure I'd want it. A friend just got the big Airfield P-51. Looks and flies great, but it can snap if you get too slow with the flaps out, and of course needs more speed and runway than the Apprentice. You can also see the wings bending with a few G's.

Sorry if I mis-read your earlier post. Looks like you're in a similar situation that I was in a couple of years ago, moving on from the Apprentice.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
kikaida01

Friends: (0)
Default Thanks everyone

I like and appreciate the candid wisdom and advice..
All advice will be seriously considered..
I need more stick time..
I've done loops, slow flight and took on dead stick landings flying with gusts of about 15-20 mph... but had those itchy fingers..
patience is one of my lesser virtues..and so I jumped to it..
living in Hawaii.. the so called "trade-winds" which makes living here pleasant has some down side.. versus.. stable windless conditions in the mainland.. envy some of those nice weather conditions..
but we can't always get what we want..

I'll have to think about it but am still working.. as a real estate broker.. here..
I have the feeling that over time I'll eventually go back to piston engines if I don't get a sport's pilots license first.. or 3rd class license.. but the full sized ones pretty much seems to fly itself.. it is much harder with RC planes..(so far anyway)..

take care and God bless you all..

PHil

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics