Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
kevmeist

Friends: (0)
Default Install RF6 from a hard drive?

I have just tried to install RF6 from a hard drive. I have a PC with no optical drive in it, so copied the entire DVD (and the mega pack) onto my server and back down to the PC without any optical drives. When running the setup program from the hard drive, it still asks for the DVD.

Now, seriously, what install programs do this nowadays...I guess RF6 is the first that I have come across. Does anybody know of any switched that can tell the install program to take all input from a hard drive and not use an optical disk?

I have pinged RF Support but have not heard back from them yet.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,026 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
I have just tried to install RF6 from a hard drive. I have a PC with no optical drive in it, so copied the entire DVD (and the mega pack) onto my server and back down to the PC without any optical drives. When running the setup program from the hard drive, it still asks for the DVD.

Now, seriously, what install programs do this nowadays...I guess RF6 is the first that I have come across. Does anybody know of any switched that can tell the install program to take all input from a hard drive and not use an optical disk?

Kevin
Maybe this Info might help Kevin

http://www.rcheliresource.com/update...eta-available/

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Kevin
Might be that requiring the original DVD is part of the copywrite protection on their software.

What kind of PC do you have, desktop, or laptop?

If a desktop, it's not really hard to install a DVD drive in it. I've purchased a Compact Pressario PC, and have installed two extra Hard Drives in it for multiple backups. One is a 500 Gig drive, second is a 1Tb (1000 Gig) drive. Its got the new SATI connections, rather than the old flat cable connections, so you've got to know which system your PC has.

Does your server have an optical drive? And can your PC access your server as a drive? Might be you can put your FS6 DVD in your server and run it through the server to your PC?

If your PC has a USB connection, another option is an external DVD drive. Nowdays they're pretty cheap, like about $30 or so. Take a look at one supplier:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...80572&CatId=89

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
kevmeist

Yeah, I know I can go out and buy a USB or internal DVD drive. I just didn't want to do it. The server doesn't have a DVD drive either. The PC I will use (connected to the big screen) is an older desktop PC.

However, I should be able to install this from a HD directory.

The radio controller that comes with RF6 AFAIK enforces using only that controller as it is a captive cable attached to the controller.

In my case, I want it installed on 2 PCs so that I can play it on my regular desktop or the PC attached to the big screen when used with the radio controller that came with RF6.

I don't see why that would be of any harm to the knifeedge guys (that sell RF6).

BTW, the URL mentioned above gives me the message below:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at "see URL provided by CHELLIE above" has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)

If you have any software on your server that will convert the dvd to an ISO, you can use free software called virtual clone drive that allows you to mount the iso as a virtual cd. This will let your computer beleive that it is truly looking at a dvd drive. I use it just about every day. I find little use for optical drives this day and age.

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
kevmeist

Hi Tarheal,

Yep, I thought of that. Just didn't want to mess around with it. I guess I'll have to do that. Just downloaded the software that you suggested plus LCISOCReator. We'll see how that goes.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
kevmeist

OK, with those 2 pieces of "freeware", I have just installed RF6 and am going to enter the license numbers etc. Hopefully, this post will help someone else down the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

EDIT...Hmmm...spoke too soon. I did all the ISO conversion, installed both the simulator and the plane mega pack that came with it to the PC I am trying to use connected to the big screen. Updated to the latest version of the software, entered all 3 of the the serial numbers (radio, simulator software and the mega pack). All serial numbers accepted. Then I plugged in the radio to the USB port and got this less than stellar error message "An unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to Knife Edge software?". Sent it and the program exits.

Grrrrrr...it's always something.

Kevin

Kevin
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
tarheal63

If you are using windows 7, you might try right clicking on the short cut and tell it to run as administrator. I beleive it writes to the registry when running.

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,026 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Yeah, I know I can go out and buy a USB or internal DVD drive. I just didn't want to do it. The server doesn't have a DVD drive either. The PC I will use (connected to the big screen) is an older desktop PC.

However, I should be able to install this from a HD directory.

The radio controller that comes with RF6 AFAIK enforces using only that controller as it is a captive cable attached to the controller.

In my case, I want it installed on 2 PCs so that I can play it on my regular desktop or the PC attached to the big screen when used with the radio controller that came with RF6.

I don't see why that would be of any harm to the knifeedge guys (that sell RF6).

BTW, the URL mentioned above gives me the message below:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at "see URL provided by CHELLIE above" has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Kevin
Hmmm thats interesting the link works fine for me and I use eset nod 32 so it will catch any Attacks and notify me

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
kevmeist

To Chellie....That link showed up that way on a Win7 system. I use Malwarebytes. Now, it could be a false positive, not easy to tell.

To Tarheal...the PC I will connect to the big screen runs XP. I'll try the administrator thing. Windows kinda annoys me with the "run as administrator" thing. I run with administrative privilege just not as "administrator". I'll post what happens on the XP PC.

Nope, using "run as administrator" on XP gets me the exact same error. I love the fact that the error message tells me absolutely nothing. Still NO RESPONSE from Knife Edge from the original support request asking about installing on a PC with no optical drives from 4 days ago. It seems that they are NOT very responsive to support requests. Now, I wonder what differences exist when installing from a logical drive vs a real DVD drive? I would have to assume that there is no reason why RF6 would not run under XP? I know it runs under Win7.

Kevin
Old 11-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
tarheal63

Yeah, there is no reason that it shouldn't. It could be anything from your video card, to the video driver. Are you running 32 or 64 bit xp? You can turn off UAC on windows 7. That is just for people who don't know any better.

AMA #973528
Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
kevmeist

On the Win7 PC it is running 64 bit. RF6 runs OK on this PC.

On the XP PC, it is running 32 bit. This is the PC with no optical drives that I did the ISO install with.

BTW, on an XP PC, I tried off UAC (or whatever XP called it). It broke Eudora at the time (my wife's PC). Turning it back on again and Eudora worked fine. Buyer beware with turning UAC off I would think.

Kevin
Old 11-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
tarheal63

My only suggestion to you at this point would be to reload the OS on your xp machine to Win 7.

AMA #973528
Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
kevmeist

Unfortunately, I don't have Win7 for that PC. Most PCs nowadays come with it installed and a "recovery" drive. MS want $120 for Win7 Home Premium. I don't want to spend another $120 for a simulator that cost $200 in the first place. So far, my opinion of Knife Edge support is that it is pretty bad.

In fact, based on the "generic" error message issued by RF6...it's not clear that Win7 will make any difference. Maybe reverting the "old" PC back to a base XP installation (using the recovery" disk) would work but then I'm involved in babysitting a large number of updates (that PC is about 6 years old) without any feedback from Knife Edge as to what that error message even means.

Kevin
Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
javier668

Use a friend usb DVD rom and install normal. To avoid the problem.

Regards!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
kevmeist

Using an ISO Creator utility and Virtual Clone Drive works just fine.

K

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators

Tags
realflight6 install