Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
rvski

Friends: (0)
Question Painting epp foam

Hi everyone,

I just got my multiplex Twin Star II and Easy Glider. I want to paint both of them. I've never had an epp foam aircraft before, so I need some direction as what paint would be safe to use. I've used the Krylon H2O paints for my GWS planes, and I know that would work. But I'm looking for a nice bright standout paint to really enhance the look of these models. Suggestions anyone? Thanks, Dave
Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Craft stores like the "other" hobby-lobby, Michaels and such, have water based neon craft paints that'll work well.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Friends: (1)

Hey now,
I've got a Twin Star II, Twin Jet, and Sonic Liner. These are all MPX kits and made from Elapor foam (not quite EPP, but close) and since this is what yous are made from...
I just use regular rattle can enamels. I get the cheaper stuff from Ace Hardware stores, but Krylon and Rustoleum work just as well.
They're safe on this foam, but *not* of course EPS foam like GWS kits are made from.

fill the divots, seams, and other ugly bits with light weight vinal spackle like from Home Depot, that's what I use, then sand the bumps etc off the foam with 180 grit sand paper and wipe the entire airframe down with alcahol to remove any remaining mold release and paint. If you want a multi colour paint pattern, use low tac tape and be ready to do a bit of touch up work afterwards. I spray some paint in a cup and use a swab to get any bits that pulled with the tape.

With a bit of prep work you get a nice shiny paint job without hurting the foam at all.
RobII
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
rvski

Wow, I did not know that! You've been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time and giving me the hints.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Testors plastic spray bomb paints work well on foam too. Good variety of colours.

Gord.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

I use regular water based craft paints and spray with an airbrush. A final shot of Testors clear if durability is any concern.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
jaywalker
Sarge

View jaywalker's Gallery8

The Easy Glider Foam is OK to use regular spray paint like available at any hardware store. You don't need water type paint. I own 2 EG's and used the water based paint on the first which rubbed off pretty fast. I called the hobby shop I buy mine from and they said you don't need a special paint since this is not styrofoam.
I tried regular paint and it works great and doesn't wear off .
Lee
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (4)

EPP will not like regular spray paint. If you try it spray VERY lite coats and don't spray it close to the foam or it will eat it. On EPP I use the paint that Firemanbill uses. Sand and clean the foam very well before painting, that will help it stick, however I have not found any paint that will stay stuck for very long. If you can deal with the added weight, glass the foam with lite glass and Min Wax and you can use any paint you want and it will stay stuck.

CTD
Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
timocharis
Dave North

CTD,

I think perhaps the TLA has bit you. EPP is not EPS. You can use any paint you want on it with no problem at all. Heck, you can use regular thick CA if you want (makes no sense since it's so rigid, but some people do anyway).

Whatever "elapor" is, however, I do not know. Never made anything from it. But I have built (um er ahhh, maybe 30?) EPP planes and used Cheapo Rotgut Spray Paint with no problem at all (except that the rough surface of the EPP doesn't exactly look great. You won't improve it by sanding, either. At least, not much).

Dave
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
jaywalker
Sarge

View jaywalker's Gallery8
Default EG Paint

I used regular fast dry spray paint covered with clear spray paint, no melting at all. The manual page 12 says the plane is not made of stryofoam and you can't use glue made for styrofoam on it. I over did it and added too much weight, after many landing in high weeds the paint seems to stick very well. The downside is the added weight of the paint. The brilliant orange paint helped me find the plane when down in a 400 acre parcel of land. What ever the stuff is it is tough, after a 600 ft nose dive I have it up and flying again .
Lee
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47
Friends: (2)

I've really become a fan of Krylon H20....mainly becuase it stays somewhat flexible, that helps keep out the wrinkles on impacts.

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
sire_andre

Talking my vrsion of painting my foam

well, here's my version, i was all out of spray cans for my mustang's wing, i purchased a new wing because i crashed mine about two weeks ago.
as i ran out of spray paint and my wing is not finished yet. i tried this concoction, i need black and white strips so i pulled out my poster paint and pda glue, i first mixed the paint where i can use it on my airbrush, then mix it with the glue...just do some trial and error on it....i only did one coating then for my second coating is justy plain deluited pda glue(not too sticky). well, the effects was nice i had my wings painted all up and it got some lamination on it to, i think it's better than plain old styro paint, because it got lamination....okay try it also and you might figure out some tricks and style to make foam wing be painted and working real well.

-andre
Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #13
websterphreaky
Banned

Originally Posted by rvski View Post
Hi everyone,

I just got my multiplex Twin Star II and Easy Glider. I want to paint both of them. I've never had an epp foam aircraft before, so I need some direction as what paint would be safe to use. I've used the Krylon H2O paints for my GWS planes, and I know that would work. But I'm looking for a nice bright standout paint to really enhance the look of these models. Suggestions anyone? Thanks, Dave
This is an old posting, but I thought I better correct a major misunderstanding made above.

Multiplex planes are NOT EPP Foam!! They are a patented material called ELAPOR foam and is nothing like EPP chemically or in the manufacturing processes.

Elapor can be glued with regular CA, where as EPP can NOT.

Elapor can be painted with nearly any kind of paint, including the Cheap-o 99 Cent spray print from Wal-Mart. You do NOT need to use water based paints. I've shot my many MPX planes with Tamiya, Krylon Enamels, Rust-oleum For Plastics (my fav because it sprays a fine mist and stays flexible.) and alcohol based paints that are water clean up, using my air brush.

Elapor can be "straightened" after a crash using near boiling water, you can not do this with EPP - it will melt and deform.

Elapor is "closed cell" foam, EPP is a "modified open cell" foam (it's rough to the touch, compared to Elapor.)

EPO is a cheap Chinese patent evading copy-cat of Elapor; but it is far more brittle and has no "memory" when hot water is used to straighten or re-expand it. That crappy Super Lightning sold by Hobby People and it's sister Wild Hawk sold by Harbor Freight (both poor knock-off's of the MPS Easy Star) are made of EPO foam.

Hope you read this before you follow all the misinformation from all the above old postings.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #14
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I have no trouble with regular CA on EPP foam, as well as the paints you mentioned plus Testors.

Gord.

Gord.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #15
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

CA will work on EPP foam but because the foam is so flexible and the CA is not, it sometimes will tear. I usually use flexible adhesives such as UHU Creativ.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 11-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #16
websterphreaky
Banned

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I have no trouble with regular CA on EPP foam, as well as the paints you mentioned plus Testors.

Gord.
"Rabbitcreekok" is right on about CA and EPP. Sure it will glue, but as he said, CA is hard (it's chemically akin to plastic - Acrylic to be precise) it doesn't bend! So the results means you are using a glue that is the polar opposite of the purpose of EPP - Flexibility.

I've been flying full contact combat for years and switched to EPP about 2 years ago. You get bent, torn, ripped and worse. CA just ain't gonna cut it. Most of the guys in our club use Goop Adhesive, which stays flexible and is tougher than your ex-wife and her grip on the support check. ich!

Others like Hot Glue, but I don't like getting anything that hot close to EPP because EPP melts pretty easy. My 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

The hacker models use CA to glue the aluminum wire into the wings and fuse., and I use it to glue carbon rods into EPP. The idea in this case is to make the foam rigid and not to flex. So it depends on the situation. Otherwise I only use hot glue. It's all choices. By the way, we use the Hacker Reno Racers, Midjet Mustangs, etc., for full contact combat. Tough little bird

Gord.

Gord.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Friends: (108)

I like CA for field repairs when I am not going to wait for the glue to dry. Welder's glue at home on the bench.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
websterphreaky
Banned

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I like CA for field repairs when I am not going to wait for the glue to dry. Welder's glue at home on the bench.
Give Goop a try in the field, it cures in 10 minutes and you won't get your fingers glued together, or to parts of the plane, face, zipper, truck door handle, flying buddies wife's ass .......
Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Friends: (108)

LOL

Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
bestzhara

Default Painting epp foam

So here I was very confident about my flying abilities after a few hours on my Super Cub, in which I installed a brush less motor and ailerons. Bought a Hacker Sbach 342....completely different flying experience to say the least haha.
But if the areas you want to color is black....the quick and easy answer use BLACK SHOE POLISH works well!!....and it stays on
Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #22
bestzhara

CA glue works fine on EPP foam it just tends to change the color and make it go white. Try the black shoe polish trick
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
LowThudd

As far as EPO goes, what paint can and cant be used? I have heard rustoleum works well, and that would be fine as want to paint my Versa Camo. I also have some enamel rattle can. Is that OK?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
70sflyer

View 70sflyer's Gallery2
Club: Quiet flyers

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

An old thread ... but people will still read it ..

The problem with paints is not the pigment - but the carrier. The worst is Spray cans as they use solvent propellants ... so you have both carrier base + the solvent ....

Many foams can be sprayed as long as the coating is light and good distance between nozzle and foam being sprayed. Get too close or too thick a coat and you start to see small craters and bubbles where the solvent starts to eat ...

The best all round paint for literally any foam / material is water based household emulsion ... available in full matt, semi matt finishes ... Perfect for warplanes ! To get a full gloss finish - you can overspray with normal spray clear ... or the artists stuff that fixes drawings / charcoal art etc. Because the emulsion will seal the surface and then the clear spray with its solvent will be safe to use.
This way - you don't have to have particular paint for particular foam ... one emulsion type does all.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies