Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
prof_fate

Friends: (1)
Default Plane Arrived, weather behaved, and more

Thankfully I'm self employed so some days I can procrastinate and not get in trouble!

I ordered a Pitts from HK, it's the art tech plane. Ordered from the US warehouse and it still took some 10 calendar days to get here. (Ordered a T28 from nitro planes yesterday and it should be here friday and (6 days) and shipping cost $10 less, for comparison).

Unlike the hong kong boxes this one arrived perfect inside and out. Not a thing out of place, not a thing broken or dented. Wonderful! I did notice a scree missing from one of the aileron control mounts and the tail wheel isn't aligned with the rudder so all those QC stickers are not perhaps 100% true. Hopefully later this week I'll have time to go over it carefully and do the assembly and such. I'm not keen on the loose ESC and open top batter box - go inverted and the batt will be potentially bouncing about in the fuse!

The weather has been terrible for weeks and the forecast isn't much better - but this afternoon the rain stopped, the clouds parted it was warm and not a breath of air! So what can I fly?? Well, my galaxy needs setup on the radio and balanced - what, 30 minutes? It's 4pm so it may be dark by then.
The champ can go. The pitts isn't remotely ready of course. My blubaby (aka pink pig) hasn't got it's new wing with ailerons so ...wait, I can throw the old wing on and fly! Great!

OK, I need a watt meter. The Pig flew pretty good and now it's better balanced and flys worse...no f'n power and way out of trim... Now I did try it last time (it's maiden) with 2s and 3s and two different props. I think I have the wrong prop on it for the 2s battery...It would fly, slowly, hard to get in the air, touchy on the elevator yet slow to respond to it. I did try a couple of landings and did fairly well (better than on the champ) but it wanted to nose in even though it's not nose heavy...I need a watt meter to verify what's going on (no pun intended) as it's definitely underpowered. But it did fly and I didn't crash (well, is a hand launch to a prop in the dirt a crash? OK, then maybe I did crash - but as the plane had yet to achieve flight I"ll perhaps claim I didn't crash!)

But I got about 35 minutes of flying in and did some touch and goes and landings and didn't break anything, not even a prop. My son even got 10 minutes on the champ and did well. I guess his next trip out we'll try some takeoffs and landings.

I want to get the aileron wing on there and test that. Assuming I can get through a few batts successfully I guess I"ll have to give the T28 a go....I could throw a bottom wing on the pig first I guess...an hour of time and $0 to verify I can fly a low wing plane is probably a good idea, huh?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Thankfully I'm self employed so some days I can procrastinate and not get in trouble!

I ordered a Pitts from HK, it's the art tech plane. Ordered from the US warehouse and it still took some 10 calendar days to get here. (Ordered a T28 from nitro planes yesterday and it should be here friday and (6 days) and shipping cost $10 less, for comparison).

Unlike the hong kong boxes this one arrived perfect inside and out. Not a thing out of place, not a thing broken or dented. Wonderful! I did notice a scree missing from one of the aileron control mounts and the tail wheel isn't aligned with the rudder so all those QC stickers are not perhaps 100% true. Hopefully later this week I'll have time to go over it carefully and do the assembly and such. I'm not keen on the loose ESC and open top batter box - go inverted and the batt will be potentially bouncing about in the fuse!

The weather has been terrible for weeks and the forecast isn't much better - but this afternoon the rain stopped, the clouds parted it was warm and not a breath of air! So what can I fly?? Well, my galaxy needs setup on the radio and balanced - what, 30 minutes? It's 4pm so it may be dark by then.
The champ can go. The pitts isn't remotely ready of course. My blubaby (aka pink pig) hasn't got it's new wing with ailerons so ...wait, I can throw the old wing on and fly! Great!

OK, I need a watt meter. The Pig flew pretty good and now it's better balanced and flys worse...no f'n power and way out of trim... Now I did try it last time (it's maiden) with 2s and 3s and two different props. I think I have the wrong prop on it for the 2s battery...It would fly, slowly, hard to get in the air, touchy on the elevator yet slow to respond to it. I did try a couple of landings and did fairly well (better than on the champ) but it wanted to nose in even though it's not nose heavy...I need a watt meter to verify what's going on (no pun intended) as it's definitely underpowered. But it did fly and I didn't crash (well, is a hand launch to a prop in the dirt a crash? OK, then maybe I did crash - but as the plane had yet to achieve flight I"ll perhaps claim I didn't crash!)

But I got about 35 minutes of flying in and did some touch and goes and landings and didn't break anything, not even a prop. My son even got 10 minutes on the champ and did well. I guess his next trip out we'll try some takeoffs and landings.

I want to get the aileron wing on there and test that. Assuming I can get through a few batts successfully I guess I"ll have to give the T28 a go....I could throw a bottom wing on the pig first I guess...an hour of time and $0 to verify I can fly a low wing plane is probably a good idea, huh?

Prof,

I am curious to see how your maiden goes with the Pitts. However, now that you have a t-28 coming you could take that one out first and get some time on it. It would be a fairly good low wing trainer to get you into a mode where you might do OK with the wild and wooly Pitts.

Best wishes,

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
prof_fate

Friends: (1)

All the reviews of the Art Tech (it's been sold under many brands, HK of course and nitroplanes now offers the same plane) say it's a mild flier. You can make it nuts of course - many threads on reinforcing the wings and then doubling the motor's power. But every says it flies slow and predictiable/stable (not self recovering but I'm pretty sure i"m past that point). Landing is my concern...

but I did get gear for the pinkpig (aka blubaby design) and so my two tries at landing went very well - I cna land the champ well too but I sometimes need 2 or 3 go-rounds to get and stay lined up on the runway. The champ also teaches one to land softly or the battery will fall out.

I have the pig ready now with aileron fitted wings, going back to 3s and a different prop..still don't have the power I want out of it but the 2s flight the other day was a friggin handful. Not sure what changed from my last flight to this one. Many upgrades on the pig so it should do well (famous last words).

I plan to get pig time (assuming it flies) and do several batts of touch and gos, then do the T28 then the pitts. The T will be my first tricycle gear plane so that should be interesting.

The pitts needs a new prop (the stock prop provides too little power) plus a few other things i want to do to it.

Is the T28 good to go out of the box or does it need mods? (prop, balance point, wheel mount reinforcement, etc)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions