Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Air-on

Friends: (1)
Default Elmer's Board Construction - A Class on its own?

About “foamie” planes and plans: there is a concept that I learned from people like Shelly The Red Hot Haired Pilot that goes like “it’s good to be able to quickly cut blue foam, and to “frugally” (with foam-friendly CA, adhesive tape) snap wings and fuse and (light) gear together and be out flying in one hour”.
Ok, this is the hyper-micro-tiny-tiny-servos and RX’s generation, my childhood’s dream made true (stick-and-tissue planes with tiny motors and rc control, or helium balloons through the living room!!!), but the info accompanying each of the thousands of “fomie plans” in the net is close to none! People don’t care to clarify the noob that their foam design is for “blue foam”, which is a totally different approach from “Elmer’s Board” construction, or that his/her design is for “3D”, for instance, this awful stunt-flying that so many seem to love. As an old school bird, I enjoy realism. (grumpy confused mumbling)
All my life flying never took precedence over building. Those were two pleasures on their own merits. As I always do with things I do not understand, I will concede that the blue foam approach may be a good quick fix for fast lives’ needs –what do I know?
Elmer’s Board is all I could get as construction material, and I tell you: it gives a whole new meaning to “scratch building”. I started wondering about designing a profiled-fuse Piper Cub, then I figured it would take too much weight to fasten servos to a thin marine plywood backbone (any resemblance with rc choppers?), so I went for a semi-profile minimalist design, so the side panels would hold the servos in place, not screws. The cowling however turned into a wonderful “problem”. I simply love the triangular-shaped cowling of the Pipers, so I would not let a semi-profile fuse prevent me from having it! Sanding foam to achieve the cowling I had in my mind turned out being one of my happiest hobby-related moments in years. Creating/ sculpting a part for a model (think about the motor covers of a Constellation) has to be somehow connected to the same subject (or “goal”) in “Zen and the Art of Fixing Motorcycles” (or a close enough name).
I had grits ranging from 60 (coarse) down to 120, 220, 400 and 600, leftovers from a diy speaker project, and had a ball sculpting foam. With foam and multiple rc motors, I imagine what can be done scale-wise, like a Douglas dc3, or a Junkers “Tante U”. Even boats seem feasible, and painting them would not be a weight–related concern as it is in model aircraft. Wow!
Finally: if there is something like a “Foam RC Hall of Fame”, I would vote for the inducement of the guy (or girl) that invented the tape hinge! Tape hinges are the cleverest use of a readily available material (adhesive tape) that I have seen!
But I’m in love with the EB’s foam construction possibilities for electric, multi-engine scale rc, so I will keep my old school hat on and see what else this brave new world has in store to marvel me – and help us build ‘mo better planes’.

I hope to hear from other Elmer's Board builders, read your threads and learn from your experience.
Aharon, "An Israeli Do or Die" (a Jewish Doodle Dandy!)
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Hi Air your going to love this sea plane in a micro size, Hmmm Ideas Ideas Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=965

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?categoryID=43

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527109

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Air-on

Friends: (1)
Default Lovely as always!

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Chellie, you are lovely as always.Thanks for the links, I loved the planes (the mosquito is quite an idea...), and Ken Spencer's building log is a lesson on ingenuity and simplicity.
My gear is still kinda heavy, so I cannot yet afford smaller wingspans. I have a friend going to the US this winter, so I intend to get me some nice tiny, tiny stuff! Not to make 'em smaller, but lighter!
Chellie, I read you are developing designs to become kits. Kol Hakavod, you go girl! I may call you Red Hot Haired Pilot and choose smilies like , but I have much respect for you and your funwork - no sexism meant.
I will let you know when I post the build log for my EB Piper Cub.
Cheers!
Aharon the happy grandpa
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Hi Aharon Jetplaneflyer is the Guru here IMHO on these micro motor power systems, here is a link that will give you some info for a direct drive UM ultra Micro power system, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61083

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6312

http://www.hobbymoon.com/esc/aeolian..._GM_US_3251517

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7567
use 2 of these lipos for a 2 cell

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions