Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
ScottVan

Friends: (0)
Default Top Flite Yellow Box P-51 Electric Conversion

I have a Top Flite "Yellow Box" P-51 kit (70's vintage) with a D conversion kit. It's next in line on the bench. Looking to get an ideas/opinions on an electric conversion. All up weight I suspect will be 7-8 lbs. 60" wingspan.

I see a lot of e-conversions for the TF ARF kit but nothing so far for the RC-16.

Any inputs, thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by ScottVan View Post
I have a Top Flite "Yellow Box" P-51 kit (70's vintage) with a D conversion kit. It's next in line on the bench. Looking to get an ideas/opinions on an electric conversion. All up weight I suspect will be 7-8 lbs. 60" wingspan.

I see a lot of e-conversions for the TF ARF kit but nothing so far for the RC-16.

Any inputs, thanks in advance.

Scott
I've got a very similar Hanger 9 P-51 that is powered by a Hacker A50-12S motor, 6S2P A123 cells, and a 14X10 APC-E prop. All up weight is 8 pounds, pulling about 1000 watts on that Hacker motor. That is 125 watts per pound. It flys very well, with over 100 flights on it now.

I did have a Hacker A40-10L motor on it that also worked very well, but was worried about the smaller shaft on that motor bending on a nose over. It flew OK with the A40, but that is a little small for an 8 pound model.

Yup, those Hackers are real $$$$, but I've got 8 of them from an A30 to two A60 sized motors. All have been flawless, and all perform to their specifications. Most of them are on their fourth flying season, one has over 300 flights on it.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
ScottVan

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've got a very similar Hanger 9 P-51 that is powered by a Hacker A50-12S motor, 6S2P A123 cells, and a 14X10 APC-E prop. All up weight is 8 pounds, pulling about 1000 watts on that Hacker motor. That is 125 watts per pound. It flys very well, with over 100 flights on it now.

I did have a Hacker A40-10L motor on it that also worked very well, but was worried about the smaller shaft on that motor bending on a nose over. It flew OK with the A40, but that is a little small for an 8 pound model.

Yup, those Hackers are real $$$$, but I've got 8 of them from an A30 to two A60 sized motors. All have been flawless, and all perform to their specifications. Most of them are on their fourth flying season, one has over 300 flights on it.
Thanks...this is great input. I'm getting to the point now where I may start buying real motors instead of the HK throw-aways. This plane has some sentimental value and I may go down he Hacker / Castle / Flightmax path. Correct, more $$$.

I was looking at servos too with the same thing in mind. I have 100 of the $2.00 Hobby King 9 gram servos. Not using those here.

Did you use full size servos? Digital? Metal gear?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Scott
Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by ScottVan View Post
Thanks...this is great input. I'm getting to the point now where I may start buying real motors instead of the HK throw-aways. This plane has some sentimental value and I may go down he Hacker / Castle / Flightmax path. Correct, more $$$.

I was looking at servos too with the same thing in mind. I have 100 of the $2.00 Hobby King 9 gram servos. Not using those here.

Did you use full size servos? Digital? Metal gear?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Scott
Hi Scott
No problem
Just checked, I'm using Hitec HS425BB servos in the ailerons, flaps, rudder and elevator. For receiver power, I'm using a Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC, although the Castle Creations ICE series has a built in 5 Amp uBEC. This P51 model has the CC Phoenix 60 amp ESC. All of my CC ESC's have been pretty much flawless. (One did quit in flight three years ago, CC repaired it for 1/3 the cost of a new unit.)

I've got a 3000 watt giant scale model that uses 7 Hitec HS645MG servos. I've measured the peak current on those servos as two amperes. EACH. So, this giant scale model definitely requires that 10 Amp uBEC, along with a two cell A123 battery backup system.

Keep us informed on your progress!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics