Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
partzee

Friends: (0)
Default Charger/Paraboard adapter cable wiring ?

I need to make an adapter cable for my cellpro Multi 4 to a XH paraboard.I want to parallel charge small packs .
Here is what I THINK I know.The cellpro CPBP7 JST PA connector for the charger end has the negative - most lead on the first pin on the left (viewed from the top where the catch on the conn. is).
The XH conn. has the negative - most lead on the first pin on the right(again viewed from the top where the two small keys are for proper alignment).
So, to make the adapter I need do I splice neg- to neg- and so one?
BTW,I searched for hours on end and apparently no one makes this adapter cable,or at least I couldn't find one.
Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Partzee
Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

I think you are correct and I think you are also correct in that no-one makes the cable. I think you could get a FMA/CellPro jst-xh adapter board and then plug the parallel board into that. I was thinking of doing that myself, but I bought a PowerLab-6 and got a paraboard and cables free from EpBuddy.com. I'm planning on moving up to some larger sized batteries, so I bought up....

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
partzee

Default Many thanks

I've got the cellpro adapter board with my charger,however my XH paraboard came with a 6s plug and the cellpro XH adapter board only goes to 4s.I'm trying to use less wires/boards if I can.
Thanks for your help,verification of my thought process on the wiring.
I just don't want to ruin two cables if I'm not correct.Thanks again.
Partzee
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by partzee View Post
I need to make an adapter cable for my cellpro Multi 4 to a XH paraboard.I want to parallel charge small packs .
Here is what I THINK I know.The cellpro CPBP7 JST PA connector for the charger end has the negative - most lead on the first pin on the left (viewed from the top where the catch on the conn. is).
The XH conn. has the negative - most lead on the first pin on the right(again viewed from the top where the two small keys are for proper alignment).
So, to make the adapter I need do I splice neg- to neg- and so one?
BTW,I searched for hours on end and apparently no one makes this adapter cable,or at least I couldn't find one.
Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Partzee
Hello:

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than this. The Multi4 is expecting to see what we now term "FMA WIRING MODE". In the PowerLab products, and also in the Cellpro 10XP, we introduced another wiring mode termed "XH WIRING MODE". In the FMA WIRING MODE, the red wire (plus) always stays anchored at the 5th position of the connector located on the Multi4 charger. In XH-wired batteries, the plus moves up one connector position with each cell added to the battery pack. For example:

FMA wiring: a 3s would be -, 3.7v, 7.4v, skip, 11.1v

XH wiring: a 3s would be -, 3.7v, 7.4v, 11.1v (4 position connector only)

Therefore, the Multi4 is not directly compatible with the Paraboard. The PL and CP10XP units are, but only when you change the wiring mode to XH WIRING MODE.

The best way to utilize the Paraboard with the Multi4 would be:

1) If you always use only; e.g., 3s battery packs, splice the CPBP7 into the Paraboard cable, and wire it to match FMA wiring mode for that cell count. You can go here to see the FMA Cellpro Battery Wiring Conventions document:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1315.pdf

2) If you always use only; e.g., 3s battery packs, you could locate a 4 position XH cable or shell, and wire the Paraboard to fewer positions; as in -, node 1, node 2, plus, and then plug this cable into the GP/KO adapter for the Multi4 charger (which accepts XH compatible batteries).

3) If you will need to support different cell counts, you could use either of the methods above, but solder multiple pigtails coming off of the Paraboard.

We recognize the growing market share of XH compatible batteries. This is why we've made it a lot easier to interface to XH adapters, Paraboards, etc, in recent series of products.

Hope this Help! Wouldn't want you to go to a lot of trouble to find out what you did will generate a Safety Code on the Multi4 because it does not see the cell count it expects to see.

Tim Marks
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
partzee

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hello:

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than this. The Multi4 is expecting to see what we now term "FMA WIRING MODE". In the PowerLab products, and also in the Cellpro 10XP, we introduced another wiring mode termed "XH WIRING MODE". In the FMA WIRING MODE, the red wire (plus) always stays anchored at the 5th position of the connector located on the Multi4 charger. In XH-wired batteries, the plus moves up one connector position with each cell added to the battery pack. For example:

FMA wiring: a 3s would be -, 3.7v, 7.4v, skip, 11.1v

XH wiring: a 3s would be -, 3.7v, 7.4v, 11.1v (4 position connector only)

Therefore, the Multi4 is not directly compatible with the Paraboard. The PL and CP10XP units are, but only when you change the wiring mode to XH WIRING MODE.

The best way to utilize the Paraboard with the Multi4 would be:

1) If you always use only; e.g., 3s battery packs, splice the CPBP7 into the Paraboard cable, and wire it to match FMA wiring mode for that cell count. You can go here to see the FMA Cellpro Battery Wiring Conventions document:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1315.pdf

2) If you always use only; e.g., 3s battery packs, you could locate a 4 position XH cable or shell, and wire the Paraboard to fewer positions; as in -, node 1, node 2, plus, and then plug this cable into the GP/KO adapter for the Multi4 charger (which accepts XH compatible batteries).

3) If you will need to support different cell counts, you could use either of the methods above, but solder multiple pigtails coming off of the Paraboard.

We recognize the growing market share of XH compatible batteries. This is why we've made it a lot easier to interface to XH adapters, Paraboards, etc, in recent series of products.

Hope this Help! Wouldn't want you to go to a lot of trouble to find out what you did will generate a Safety Code on the Multi4 because it does not see the cell count it expects to see.

Tim Marks
Many,many thanks Tim.I see what you mean with the positive lead on the multi always in the same position.What I was planning would not work but I think I can get a couple more multi 4 pigtails and make what I need.
I'm sure glad I asked for help,saved me a lot of time.
Partzee

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers