Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Pics from our RC Build Club at school

I was finally able to step back and take a few pictures from the RC club that I and another teacher run after school. Pics are from Tuesday, 12/6 when a break in the rainy weather this week allowed the kids to get out and fly a bit.

Also, you can see a couple of the projects. Kids are working mainly with fan fold foam. The P-51 and SE5a plans were downloaded from the internet. The kid with the P-51 has deviated from the plans (not sure where he's going, but we're letting him explore). I have no idea where the plans for the profile, delta wing plane came from. The kid just started building and in no time it was complete but for the electronic stuff. The other project in the pics is a Van's RV-7A. The kid is scaling it up from a simple three view drawing. He does have a bit of an advantage with this plane as his father is in the final stages of construction of a full scale plane! We also have a profile SR-71 and Fokker DR-1 in construction.

We are having such a great time with these kids! I'm really looking forward to seeing these planes take to the air. At the same time, I'm preparing myself for the inevitable heart break that will come in a blizzard of blue foam bits!

Also in the pic is one of the Fly Skys that Stuart from this site sent us! We are very close to having these back in the air!!! THANK YOU, STUART!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	155410   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	155411   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	155412   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic 4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	155413   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic 5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	155414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic 6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	155415   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic 7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	155416   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC pic 8.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	155417  

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Cool! Great to see the next generation picking up the hobby!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
monokote

Club: none yet
Friends: (0)

Great job. Who is having more fun ,you or the kids ?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

The smiles on the kids faces Tell the whole story what they dont know, is that they are learning Math, Geometry, Aircraft Designing, Structural Engineering, the use of hand tools, Aerodynamics, Electronics and Radio Systems in a fun way Great Job Teach Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

That looks terrific - congratulations on spreading the love.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Thanks, guys!
monokote-no doubt, I am having more fun! Although, I laugh every time I look at the photos because the tall kid in the outdoor pics (flying his mini-Super Cub) has this ridiculous grin on his face the whole time he is flying. I emailed those pics to his mom and we both had a good laugh!

Chellie-Yeah, that's what is great about this. They have no idea of the skills they are building. Actually, I have to write a professional growth plan every year. Mine, and the Art teacher who runs this with me, is based on the math, science and engineering skills that these kids will learn in a much more intuitive manner.

mcclarkson-thanks! It is awesome to see the interests that these kids have. I was really surprised by the historical knowledge they have of military aircraft, military conflicts, etc. They have not reached that point in school (they just get through the Civil War and Reconstruction by the end of their 8th grade year), so that knowledge is both self-taught and acquired through Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, History, etc. We would not get to see much of that strictly in a classroom setting.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Awesome, earthsciteach! I think that the point the schools started going to hell was when hobbies were no longer part of the education process. The answer to "what do you do for fun?" wasn't always go to bars and do drugs. And schools have absolutely failed our kids in showing them positive ways to have fun.

Don't worry, I'll have no part in telling the little learners that working on radio control airplanes incorporates math, science, language, history, honing motor skills, judgment, social interaction........ Mum's the word.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I could not agree more with all the fore mentioned posts. I wish I would have had a teach get more involved when I was growing up. Love to see the mentorship going on. Teachers have been in the press a lot lately and have often wondered what had happen to teachers now a days but you have proven that there are still teachers out there that want to do more for their students then just earn a paycheck. Hats off to you my friend. Keep it up and oh buy the way whay are you going to do with the models during christmas break ha ha ha

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions