Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Novice_Ace

Friends: (0)
Unhappy Help with balsa kit selection

I'm in need of a balsa electric kit and to my surprise the electric P-51 Mustang kits are sold out everywhere I looked. (Understandable, they're incredible aircraft) I'm thinking about converting a gas kit to electric however I can't say I know enough to make a confident decision. I was looking into the House of Balsa P-51D EP Balsa Kit 46.5" kit.
I can't wait for a back order so I was looking at the gas version of this plane (P-51D .19-.21 43").
The weight of the gas is fairly close to the electric version (.2 Ibs difference). Can I substitute with a .25 Turnigy G25 710kv brushless outrunner?
As for the battery I'm taking a shot in the dark with a 4000 mAh 3S 30C battery. Flying wise I'm fairly competent and experienced, as for the technical lingo and specifics I'm sure I proved how much I don't know. It especially doesn't help when the only other R/C pilot I know is a glow head .
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

If you're set on a P-51 and don't mind a little smaller than the 40+ inch wingspan you've been looking at then take a look at the Mountain Models P-51. Do a search for it here and on RC Groups and you'll see a HUGE following for this bird. (and just about anything else from Brian). It's out of stock there too but it'll be worth waiting for. I'm just not a huge warbird fan so that's the only reason the Mustang is one of the very few Mountain Models kits I don't own.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
spad

I have the Mountain Models P-51. It is an easy build and a fanastic flier, fast or slow. If you fly on grass, DO NOT add retracts!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Novice_Ace

When I said I can't wait, it's not from excitement if that's what some people may have thought . I need to build it within a set time frame (project) and it's getting dicier by the day (I astill have a good cushion of time but back orders seem a bit iffy). The mountain models seems pretty good though. Does anyone know how long a back order may take this time of year from them particularly? I know HoB is backed up so they certainly won't be any time soon.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Brian should have his backlog cleared up pretty quickly. I talked to him yesterday, and he had just received the shipment of wood he had been waiting for. He hoped he would be cutting kits all weekend to eliminate the backorders. I'd give him a call and ask him when he would have the P-51's back in stock. I suspect it will be just a few days now.

Mark
Old 12-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Novice_Ace

Thanks buzzltyr, just called and they have them in stock. However, can someone provide a suggestion for the electrical? I planned on following the recommended setup with a geared down brushless inrunner. The servos I know can be substituted with cheaper alternatives, but the inrunner with gearbox is a bit expensive and iffy according to a couple other somewhat experienced modelers. Opinion is greatly appreciated, I'd prefer not to rely solely on a gas modeler who thinks he knows the electrical side like the back of his hand.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Brian spec's the P-51 at 16-20 ounces (approximately). I'd look for an outrunner of about 150-175 watts, which will keep you well over the "100 watts per pound" standard that is often used for warbirds and aerobatic models. Because the P-51 has a stick mount, you can either design your own motor mount (not too hard to do) or get a "firewall to stick mount" adapter.

Which motor you choose depends on how much you want to spend, whether you want to use a 2 or 3 cell battery, size of the prop, etc.

Mark
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Check out this thread on the MM P51.
Steve did a very nice job on the build and build thread a year or so ago
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55367
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Novice_Ace

Thanks for the thread dumo01, for some reason that was incredibly convenient. The picture from Steve's kit helped confirm I was missing an entire sheet of parts for the kit I ordered Also thanks Mark, I'll follow your suggestion. Once I get the motor I should be able setup the rest. The build so far is as easy as a jigsaw puzzle, Is it a good idea to throw on some retracts? (seems like it would make the plane that much sexier ) It's my first build, but far from my first flight.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
Marc

Club: indie & occasional trespasser

Build this 42" Sig (Herr) P-51 and use a Turnigy 35-42 1250kv motor with a 50-60 amp ESC, 9x6 or 10x5 APC prop, and a 3000mAh 3-cell lipo. It will pull 37-43 amps and give you the best flying plane in your hangar with a performance level appropriate for a P-51. Flight times are about 8-10 minutes. I love this plane, and the kit is only $59.99. I extended the firewall 2" on the one I built anticipating a smaller 35-30 motor. With the 35-42 motor I had to add 3/4 oz. lead to the tail to get the proper CG. I believe the kit can be built and balanced without any firewall extension using the components described above.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners