Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Friends: (0)
Question Ideas for a new RC stunt plane

Hi guys!

So I'm reasonably new to flying RC planes, I currently have an art tech cessna 182 which I've flown (and crashed) a few times. Since it's coming up to christmas, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new RC plane. I was thinking about buying one which is pretty versatile i.e. can do quite a few stunts e.g. barrel rolls etc etc but which won't take TOO much damage if I do crash it, and should be relatively easy to fix and get a hold of the parts. Im looking for something reasonably fast and light which is quite agile.

As I'm quite new to the whole RC plane experience, I really don't know where to start when looking for the plane I described above and so I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions from some more experienced flyers. All suggestions are welcome and links and prices are greatly appreciated i'm ideally looking for something around the 100 - 200 price range

Thanks guys!
Sam

P.s. I also considered buying an RC jet plane although I think this may be a bad idea since I'm not a very experienced flyer. How hard are these things to fly? Should I wait until I become very experienced? All suggestions are appreciated
Old 12-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
squidger

Friends: (3)

Hi Sam. Where abouts in the UK are you. Try this model.

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

The Wot 4 will fly slow or fast and will do all manoevres well. It can be flown by anyone who has a little experience with ailerons but will also please experienced pilots with it's ability to pull off loops rolls inverted knife edge etc. Heres mine flying when I first got it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Hello I live in the North East. Thats some impressive flying there That does look like a good plane although I think that seeing as I crashed my previous plane a few times, I should play it safe this time and go for an easier to fly 3 channel model. Do you think that is a good idea? I wish to gain some more experience with some easier to fly planes before I begin to fly four channel models. Do you have any suggestions? I really appreciate your helping me out here
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Also, i'm not sure if the controller comes with the plane you just sent me? It would be ideal if the controller came with the plane as i have no idea what controller to buy or how to connect it to the plane
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
squidger

Friends: (3)

What you need is a ready to fly package. Sorry, I didn't know you don't already have radio. If you would like an easy to learn on model that you can convert to learn aileron controls on then you should probably go for an easystar 3 channel and then when you get profficient with that either buy some aileron wings which will be available for the easystar 2 or simply make your own.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=8780

If you are going to take up the hobby you really need to be thinking ahead and get a 2.4 ghz radio system. It sounds expensive at 95 for the transmitter but a DX6I transmitter has 10 model memories so you won't need another transmitter for your next 9 models. Spektrum receivers are about 10-30 and servos are about 5 each. You could buy an Easystar kit for about 55 and then add a couple of servos a receiver and an esc and buy a Spektrum DX6I and it will cost you about 190 all in, but remember the next model you buy won't need the transmitter so that will only cost 80 ish depending what you buy.

Easystars are very good fliers and easy to teach yourself on and fairly crash proof. If you do go this route though I recommend you make the rudder much bigger than the aircraft comes with as I have flown many easystars and we end up doubling the rudder size as they are reluctant to turn on the original small rudder.We just cut through the tail from top to bottom in the middle and glue in some plastic hinges so now half the tail is rudder and they fly brilliant.When you get the bug and you will lol and you get some aileron experience you can get something like a Yak55 and really have some fun and still fly it using the same DX6I transmitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KY8K...g&feature=plcp
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I know nothing about the UK's availability of RC planes and parts, but I think you should definitely take a look at EPP profile planes.

EPP is virtually unbreakable and many of these planes are built for full 3D flight, so they'll do anything you want, stuntwise.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners