Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
nkilburn

Friends: (0)
Default Folding Prop for Depron Pusher Jet

Hi all, this is my first post. I build and fly pusher jets from plans I get from parkjets.com. I have been breaking alot of props on landing and thought that I could use a folding prop in the pusher configuration and save on props. Anyone with comments on this would be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

I could be wrong but I don't think the cam mechanism that allows it to fold will allow you to mount it backwards.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,139 Times in 2,048 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (308)

What motor are you using, maybe you could use a prop saver, and if not, use a Master Airscrew Props, they are very durable, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.philshobbyshop.com/tek9.a..._name&how=desc

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

you shouldn't be breaking props on a pusher like that. Is you brake on your ESC on? If it is turn it of and the prop will rotate out of the way when you land.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
websterphreaky
Banned

Exclamation Yes you can mount folding prop backwards!

Originally Posted by nkilburn View Post
Hi all, this is my first post. I build and fly pusher jets from plans I get from parkjets.com. I have been breaking alot of props on landing and thought that I could use a folding prop in the pusher configuration and save on props. Anyone with comments on this would be greatly appriciated.
Sorry this is a late reply to you 2008 question. But YES you can use folding props in "pusher mode". The first guy I saw do this is a friend with a 50" combat pusher flying wing. I do the same now with all my EP Gliders that use pusher E Pods., like my favorite an old HobbyShack Ridge Runt I bought back in 1997 and never built till last year.

All you need is an appropriate sized cheap aluminum folding prop hub like Hobby City and others carry and just mount he props you want to use BACKWARDS! Simple as that!

The centrifical force keeps the blades from going anywhere but straight out and the wind or ground pushes the blades back closed when unpowered.

Worked for my pal Dale and its worked for me on three E-Pod pusher powered gliders.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
MartinT

Cool

Originally Posted by websterphreaky View Post
...YES you can use folding props in "pusher mode".
...just mount he props you want to use BACKWARDS! Simple as that!
This makes no sense!

The prop does not care if it's being cranked from the back (like in a standard Cessna 172 type plane) or if it's cranked from the front (like in the Yardbird F-22 type planes).

The only thing that changes is the direction the motor turns. It has to rotate so that when viewed from behind the plane and looking forward in the normal direction of flight, the rotation is clockwise.
The propeller is ALWAYS mounted in the same rotational direction!!! (i.e. The side with the numbers on to the front of the plane! So it operates with the leading edge turning clockwise!!!(for the smart@sses: when viewed from behind, but this is standard. (that's why the left wing is always called the left wing and not the right...
(The only thing that changes is the position of the motor, either in front or at the back...)

Laterrr,
Martin
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
wekenav8r

Wow, Martin, calm down. I'm sure that is what he was saying. The prop is mounted backwards in the hub, since the hub is facing to the rear, so the prop is facing forward.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
websterphreaky
Banned

Build Review Awaiting apologies.....

Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
This makes no sense!

The prop does not care if it's being cranked from the back (like in a standard Cessna 172 type plane) or if it's cranked from the front (like in the Yardbird F-22 type planes).

The only thing that changes is the direction the motor turns. It has to rotate so that when viewed from behind the plane and looking forward in the normal direction of flight, the rotation is clockwise.
The propeller is ALWAYS mounted in the same rotational direction!!! (i.e. The side with the numbers on to the front of the plane! So it operates with the leading edge turning clockwise!!!(for the smart@sses: when viewed from behind, but this is standard. (that's why the left wing is always called the left wing and not the right...
(The only thing that changes is the position of the motor, either in front or at the back...)

Laterrr,
Martin
What part of "just mount he props you want to use Backwards! Simple as that!" ... goes over your head? I do believe "backwards" in a Pusher orientation, means the the orientation is still the same as if it were mounted in a puller fuselage-front orientation. Funny, but "wekenav8r" understood that.

And no, pal; the "pusher" spinning rotation is reversed in relation to the motor - now Clock Wise - since the motor is now mounted backwards, as apposed to the fuselage-front mounting; i.e., if you just switched a front "pulling" motor to a rear "pushing" mount, you will be flying backwards if you leave it counter clock wise. Perhaps that's the way you fly, I'm guessing.

Take a look at my Avatar, if you don't think I know something about pusher prop planes; I have 10 total - 4 with folding props.

Either you need glasses, English comprehension classes, or to calm down and read something two or three times before exploding with textual shouting .. please.

Awaiting apologies.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
MartinT

...Ok well sorry if I overdid it, the bold print was not meant as shouting but only to emphasize the point. I guess I've seen too many examples of people who just ran their pusher combos with the prop running backwards...(i.e. numbers to the rear)

I see now that we are advocating the same point, but with different wording.
Still it is IMHO the easiest to explain it to people to only look upon the rotation of the propeller from the back of the plane looking to the front, That is, nomatter what motor configuration you are running, always clockwise. (The left wing is always the left wing comparison...)

Again apologies if I came on too strong, no need to bring out the glasses, or English comprehension classes, even (especially?) for a non native English speaker, I think I'll do just fine

Regards,
Martin
Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
frenchstan

Default You are all missing the point on folding pushers

Motor rotation and prop orientation are simple problems. The major problem is that most purchased folding prop systems fold backwards, as it refers to a tractor aircraft. If a normal spinner and hub are mounted in the pusher position, the blades can not fold to the rear---they will only fold forwards---which of course is no use.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Yes a folding pusher is a problem.
You may be lucky and simply be able to reverse the blades in the hub but generally the blades foul the front of the motor.
I had to re-drill the pivot holes in the blades and is very difficult to get them in exactly the same position on both blades.

The next problem is without a fuselage in the way the blades can go 'over centre' and might not extend when the motor starts or worse just one does!
I had to make a 'stop' to ensure the blades only folded so far.
Click image for larger version

Name:	9x5extended.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	155978
Click image for larger version

Name:	9x5clsd2stop.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	155979
This 9x5 was used on a light weight slow flyer.
It certainly worked and improved the power off high speed dive significantly but overall a bit heavier and not quite so efficient and I never got it to balance really well so its now back with a fixed prop.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets

Tags
depron , folding , jet , prop , pusher