Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
foodstick

Friends: (0)
Default 4 star 40 (messerschmidt) conversion.

This is one of my oldest planes, 20 years old, maybe more? Anyhow I finally converted it.. this was the first plane of mine to get the treatment. It had sat to long... 45 size outrunner,60 amp esc, squeezed a 6cell 5000 in there, still flies great.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Dereck
Super Contributor

That is one cool 4*40 electrocution. Was it ever in a RealWorld magazine? Have vague memories of reading about it, or something similar, possibly before moving to the US in 1993.

My Four Star 40 was built in 1988 for an article on converting the kit to e-power, but it only lasted eleven years, five different drivetrains, two wingspans and two somewhat different sets of tailfeathers. Yours is definitely a 'good value for money' model!

Dereck
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
foodstick

It was never in a magazine, but I did help my buddy kitbash his 4 star into a Spitfire.. it was in the Sig calendar back in the late 80's or early 90s. He flew it at a Sig funfly and the kit designer ( Bruce Tharpe ) liked it so much he got pictures of it next to a Astro Hog that was bashed into a Hurricane. It has been a good airplane for me..
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Dereck
Super Contributor

Okay, an ME 109 or even a Hurricane from a Hog I can believe - but a Spitfire with elliptical wings from the slab winged 4* - that is a stretch!

I only had spotty contact with the US mags prior to moving here in 1994, but even though my 4* was a long way in the future, I recall that mag article about the Me conversion, albeit vaguely.

My electrified 4* had a battery hatch from about 1" aft of the firewall to so far back, I moved the canopy aft an inch! The first battery it flew on was a 20 cell nicad, made of four sticks of 5 cells. Weighed around 44 ounces, power was around 700W, model weighed around 5.5lb RTF and shut up a lot of the folk back then who said that electrics couldn't do much bar flop around while barely flying

D
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
foodstick

Flew the messer-star yesterday.. careless crosswind landing and the tail wheel came off.. pulled the bracket off and surprise surprise, oily wood had weakened it, from its glow flying days....
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
This is one of my oldest planes, 20 years old, maybe more? Anyhow I finally converted it.. this was the first plane of mine to get the treatment. It had sat to long... 45 size outrunner,60 amp esc, squeezed a 6cell 5000 in there, still flies great.
That 4*40 was a good airplane. I flew one years ago with an Astroflight Geared 40 brush type motor, and a 22 cell Nicad battery pack. Heavy as a lead brick, but it did fly very well, even landings were easy to make. That was back in the days when if you wanted a model airplane, you had to build it up with a whole bunch of balsa sheets and balsa sheets.

Sold it to a fellow club member, who put an ugly glow engine in it.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Dereck
Super Contributor

If anyone ever writes a history of electric powered aeromodelling, the Four Star series deserves it's own chapter. The first ones I saw at E-vents in PA were around 1995/96. One of them showed that the central aileron servo wasn't a bright idea, as it kept the battery forward from the ideal position for balance. It had all of twelve nicad cells. The other had a geared MaxCim brushless and 18 cells:

http://www.maxcim.com/customers/index2.html

Scroll down some - it's a history lesson

In all my years of magazine writing and hanging out online, everyone who's had a Four Star liked it and I've never come across anyone who didn't.

Even the canard built from a Four Star 40 wing and a wooden walking crutch!

D

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)