Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Great Planes Giant Big Stick Conversion

Christmas brought me a new model for the latest project. The model is a Great Planes Giant Big Stick, with a 82 inch Wingspan, 1500 Square inches. Power is a Hacker A60-16M with a 19X12 APC-E propeller, 12S2P A123 2300 Mah battery pack for a total of 4600 Mah. The ESC is a Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC, with a two cell 2300 Mah A123 battery as a backup.

The total model weight was exactly 15 pounds, but with the wiring and backup battery system, that got pushed to about 15 pounds 6 ounces. With 2800 watts on the power system, that is about 180 watts per pound.

The radio is a Spektrum DX7 with an AR7000 receiver. Each aileron and each flap has its own channel, with all mixing done in the DX7 transmitter.

This model is equipped with flaps, that are active with separate servos.

This model won't be flown until next spring, right now its below 32F outside, and this pilot is uncomfortable flying these big models in that cold of weather.

The photo that shows a stick held along side of the fuse shows where the original fuselage ended. The entire portion forward of that stick has been added to support the motor.

The internal bottom view of the fuse is a real wiring mess, but it is just basic wiring between the two 6S2P A123 battery packs and the ESC. The eight powerpole connectors on the side of the fuse allow charging the 12S2P battery as a 6S4P pack. Just above the Anderson Powerpole connectors are the two balance connectors.

I did some taxi work this afternoon. With full power, the tail lifted nearly instantly. Methinks anything over 3 seconds full power on concrete will have this thing flying.

Take a look at the attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Install WF.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	155731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom View WF.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	155732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View WF.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	155733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Connections WF.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	155734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View WF.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	155735  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Stick WF.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	155736  

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Only got one word
WOW!!
I can hardly wait to see/read how the maiden goes this spring. Good luck and congrats on a beutiful and very big bird

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
foodstick

Friends: (0)

That plane sure looks bigger than i recall them being..hope it flies great, I have had two great conversion test flights recently , so hopefully the third (yours) will be a charm as well !
Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
That plane sure looks bigger than i recall them being..hope it flies great, I have had two great conversion test flights recently , so hopefully the third (yours) will be a charm as well !
Thanks
Forgot to mention, that little window in the fuse photo is my flight monitor that records total flights, total flying time, total ampere hours, and either current flight ampere hours or current flight amperes pulled by the motor. Got six of them installed in six of my models.

DennyV
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Quite the wiring marvel you have going on there Denny. Sounds like you will have plenty of power to wring that stick out with.
I get to open my new plane tomorrow a Dueces Wild.
Hope you have a Merry Xmas
Old 12-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Quite the wiring marvel you have going on there Denny. Sounds like you will have plenty of power to wring that stick out with.
I get to open my new plane tomorrow a Dueces Wild.
Hope you have a Merry Xmas

Duces Wild?
I've seen three of them fly around here with electric power. (None were glow!)

That is a very nice looking, very high performance model airplane.

And thanks, Happy Holidays!

DennyV
Old 12-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thumbs up

I dont normally reply to Kyles posts because he is far smarter than I and I am ususally blown away by his wealth of knowledge in electronics. Looking at that fuse and electronic setup, as lost as I am staring at it, I know that this plane is setup for a huge suucess and amazment lloking forward to Spring time for the maiden report

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I dont normally reply to Kyles posts because he is far smarter than I and I am ususally blown away by his wealth of knowledge in electronics. Looking at that fuse and electronic setup, as lost as I am staring at it, I know that this plane is setup for a huge suucess and amazment lloking forward to Spring time for the maiden report

Every one of us has skills a lot of other folks don't have. And they've gained those skills by making a lot of mistakes. (I should know!)

After all, how many in our groups of friends (Outside of RC that is) have the skills to put together a model airplane, and fly with out crashing?

DennyV
Old 12-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (3)

That is a great looking plane you have there. Are you going to post here when you fly it so we can all share in it?? I have been thinking of doing that mod myself, but using a different motor battery combination. Good luck and hope you keep it flying for many years to come.

Ed
Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)

Super job DennyV.

Can't wait to read about the flight report!

There is at least one other person that posted their conversion to Electric as well and they have Video and pictures. If interested, you can view them at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283936
Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Denny stick that motor out front of that firewall man, you need to showcase it!

I had the 60 size stick and flew the crap out of that. A wonderful plane for sure, this one shops rock!

Mike
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Denny stick that motor out front of that firewall man, you need to showcase it!

I had the 60 size stick and flew the crap out of that. A wonderful plane for sure, this one shops rock!

Mike

LOL
Well, I did leave the bottom of that extension open

You're right, those purple motors are pretty

DennyV
Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mred View Post
That is a great looking plane you have there. Are you going to post here when you fly it so we can all share in it?? I have been thinking of doing that mod myself, but using a different motor battery combination. Good luck and hope you keep it flying for many years to come.

Ed
Yup, will post it here when we get flying weather again. (Not like Georgia around here in winter. )

DennyV
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Super job DennyV.

Can't wait to read about the flight report!

There is at least one other person that posted their conversion to Electric as well and they have Video and pictures. If interested, you can view them at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283936
Thanks for the link. Seems others have also had problems with tail heavy issues with this plane when exchanging the heavy gassers with electric motors.

Guess the 12S2P A123 setup that is heavier than equivalent LiPos is not so bad after all. Plus they can be charged at 25 Amps with a charging setup of 6S4P.

DennyV
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Giant Big Stick Maiden Flights!

Today, the weather was 54 degrees, winds were about 8-10 MPH. In Milwaukee in January, this is unheard of. We've usually got a foot or so of snow by now. Soooo, put the big stick in the old truck and headed out to the flying field.

After the usual preflights verifying servo directions, cg, all pushrods and so on, could not delay it any further, so taxied out, and put on full power to the Hacker A60-16M, 19X12 APC-E prop, 12S2P 2300 Mah A123 battery pack. The model has an 82 inch wingspan, 1500 square inches of wing area.

After a take off run of about 30 feet on a grass field, the first flight trim was very close, only a few notches of down elevator, and a few notches of left aileron. Running at about 2800 watts on a 16 pound airplane puts the power level at 175 watts per pound. Will download the data from the CC ICE 80 Amp HV ESC next day or two and post the results.

The first flight was limited to 5 minutes. On landing my on board data recorder showed 1.63 Ampere Hours out of a 4 ampere hour battery pack. Second, third and fourth flights were limited to 6.5 minutes, resulting in about 2.5 Ampere Hours pulled out of the battery pack. So total flight time could be stretched to 10 minutes, but my policy is to NEVER fly more than about 60% out of the battery pack in case you need a go-around, some one is on the field and so on.

This model is extremely stable in flight, rolling it inverted only required a very slight amount of down elevator to maintain level inverted flight. Loops, rolls, spins, inverted flight, all were simple to do. As for the power level of this combination, the Hacker motor will pull the model straight up, out of sight. This model will keep flying with the throttle stick at about 30%, which is WAY down in actual power to the motor.

As for landings, not a problem at all. Just reduce power to perhaps 10-15% and bring her in.

Yes the Hacker A60-16M motor is expensive, but results are results. This motor has 81 flights on it when it was installed in a Goldburg giant Extra last year. Sold that Extra to a club member for $10, and was glad to get rid of it .

So, in conclusion, if you should want to expand into the giant scale class electric models, IMHO, one good choice is the Great Planes Giant Big Stick.

PS, the field charger for this model consists of a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Engine, turning a 60 Amp alternator. Had to limit the charge rate by the Cellpro Powerlab 8 to 20 Amps. Any higher, and that Briggs engine stalled out!
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63918

DennyV
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Glad to read the maiden, and other flights went so well sounds like a winner Denny. The sticks no matter what size are a fun plane to fly.

No snow up here either, and supposed to hit 50 degrees it's a heat wave.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Got three more flights on it today, this is turning out to be one of the best flying models I've got. (There are eight other models in my workshop, ranging from a little 40 inch model with a Hacker A40 to three models running Hacker A50 series. Only one that comes close is the Showtime 50 with a Hacker A50-16S, 16X12 APC-E prop, 7S2P A123 battery pack.

Used the flap system today after mixing in down elevator with flaps. The book recommendation is a little off, I wound up using double the elevator mix as recommended. The flaps are very effective, making a model that lands at a slow speed even slower with full flaps. Now, throwing the flap three position switch on my DX7 transmitter has little effect on the angle of attack. It just keeps on flying, but allows much slower flying speeds with flaps down.

Nice, Nice, Nice!!!

Might get another few flights tomorrow, depends on weather. Thursday the weatherman is forcasting 6 inches of snow around here, so that might be it for awhile.

As for the flaps, setting the flaps results in a severe nose UP result without down elevator. Rather than those flaps being on the back of the wing, you'd think they would act like elevators and give a nose down. Can someone explain why flaps give a nose up result, rather than nose down as in a flying wing? Is it because the flaps give more lift, and that lift winds up lifting the entire wing, as compared to the elevator itself ?

DennyV
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Kyleservicetechs video of the Great Planes Giant Stick

Finally got a flight video of this Giant Stick in flight. This model is fully acrobatic and will do just about any manuver desired.

Take a look at the video.

The day of the flight, the temperature reached 56 degrees F. And, the day after this video was taken, we now have six inches of SNOW on this field.

DennyV
Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Finally got a flight video of this Giant Stick in flight. This model is fully acrobatic and will do just about any manuver desired.

Take a look at the video.

The day of the flight, the temperature reached 56 degrees F. And, the day after this video was taken, we now have six inches of SNOW on this field.
That looked awesome my friend. Sorry about the snow but i wish for 56 degrees and no wind. Congrats she looks fantastic

Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Nice job with the plane Denny she leaps off the field like she weighs only 4 pounds not the 16 LBS AUW she really is.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Nice job with the plane Denny she leaps off the field like she weighs only 4 pounds not the 16 LBS AUW she really is.
"Hoss" (the pilot I used) was used to flying big gassers, where you need to level off after liftoff. So, he decreased the climb rate after takeoff.

I've climbed out at 45 degrees immediately after takeoff just about every time on its 11 flights so far. It just keeps on going at 45 degrees, or straight up for that matter.

Guess 7000 RPM on a 19X12 prop and near 3000 watts on a 16 pound plane will do that.

Looking forward to Spring, where the 6 inch snow we just got two days ago is long gone.

It's funny. After joining this club in 2004, most of the club members gently suggested "This is a power" club, and put up with those electrics. Now, in 2012, those same guys are flying those electric little foamies and fun jets in the snow, and having a real blast! They splatter them on bad landings, get out the epoxy, and are back the next day for more flights. Very few are flying the smaller 60 sized glow models anymore. Those guys have gone electric power in the 60 inch wingspan model sizes.

DennyV
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've noticed a lot of older guys that have been flying glow all their lives are switching to electric and leaving the glow behind. It's not always a bad thing to do, but I still enjoy flying my glow planes along with electric planes. All of them are fun.

It's great that you got some good flying weather in the winter there. We normally get quite a bit of it in southern Georgia and we get to fly quite often. Glad you had some great flights and hope you have many more. That stick is a great flying plane no matter what size it is.

Ed
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #23
Moki210

Friends: (0)

The Giant stick would probably go well with an Eflite Power 160 I would think.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Moki210 View Post
The Giant stick would probably go well with an Eflite Power 160 I would think.
Yeah, it probably would, that Giant Stick model will keep flying on only 20% power on the Hacker A60-16M motor.

Ran the numbers through www.motocalc.com. My Hacker A60-16M motor turns a 19X12 APC-E wide blade prop at 6700 RPM on a 12S2P A123 pack. That's 2240 watts on the propeller shaft, allowing for the motors 90% efficiency. Rate of climb is given at 2900 feet per minute straight up, something I've pretty much verified.

The Eflite 160 motor results on motocalc winds up with a 18X8 prop that turns at about 7900 RPM on the same 12S2P A123 pack. The motor will be pulling about 60 Amps and will put about 1900 Watts on the prop shaft after allowing for 90% efficiency. Rate of climb is 1750 Feet per minute at 40 degrees.

You can put a bigger prop on the Eflite motor, but motocalc warns about potential overheating damage to the Eflite motor.

DennyV
Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #25
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

One thing I have noticed on any stick model. Once you get it off the ground, it will fly with almost no power and put put around the sky almost all day long. They are fun to over power and I have seen quite a few that way. You can always throttle back on a big motor, but you can't throttle up on a small one.

Ed

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)