Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
chipnkim

Friends: (0)
Default Most durable Foam plane

Any Thoughts! what plane takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. thinking I,ll need some thing easy to fix and wont break the bank.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)
Default It takes a licking & keeps on ticking.

12" Balsa hand tossed glider.

Keep 2 in the car.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
12" Balsa hand tossed glider.
Keep 2 in the car.

Probably true!
OTOH you might try a Multiplex Easy Star. Harder to break a pusher configuration, easy to fly, easy to repair.

The best scenario is find a buddy that knows how to fly and get help. Saves loads of grief+money, is more fun, and improves the outcome.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
prof_fate

What size?

BIgger means more weight and that translates to harder, um, landings.

I have a hobbyzone champ, a wee little thing that weighs 1.5 oz ready to fly - I guess if you power dove into the ground it would be an issue, but it's pretty durable. A wing runs about $12 if you manage to break that (the only thing I've seen anyone break - and they're nearly trying to do it).

Flying:mCX2, mCXTwin, HZ Champ (x2) Learning to fly: HK450v2, HZ UM T28, Fenix 100 Yet to fly: Fenix 80, Airfield T28 (800mm), HK Pitts, HK Galaxy F3P Retired: BOLama, LamaV4 To Be Born Again: WinstarEP 2m glider
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

The Hobby Zone Super Cub is durable, easy to fix, and replacement parts are readily available. Multiplex Fun Cub is another good one.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Cool

Hi
Mini Super cub

Plane 004 by inuyasha50, on Flickr

Plane 008 by inuyasha50, on Flickr

Plane 005 by inuyasha50, on Flickr
Mine is going on 3 years old and has had many mishaps
Still looks and flies wonderfully
And a plus is shes wonderful for a novice but still fun for us more experienced pilots
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 12-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
Voltron

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by chipnkim View Post
Any Thoughts! what plane takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. thinking I,ll need some thing easy to fix and wont break the bank.
I've been hearing and reading good things about these planes. I'm thinking about getting an Albatros to teach my youngest Grandson to fly.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

EPP flying wing, like a Zagi. Almost indestructible, but not the easiest to fly.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Voltron

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
EPP flying wing, like a Zagi. Almost indestructible, but not the easiest to fly.
Yes, the Zagi is another excellent choice for durability. I didn't mention it because its not really something I would recommend to a beginner.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
WingingIt74

I'll put my $0.02 in, The HZ Super Cub is really durable. It's very customizable, as I've added ailerons, stiffened up the wing and put in 450 with a 3s2200 lipo. I originally built it as a trainer for my son, but after I flew it, It became my favorite.

Handy building tips:
http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forum...read.php?t=385

Here is mine, aka, $uper Cub
http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forum...ead.php?t=1711

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I agree on the HZ Super Cub LP. Also, the PZ T-28. I've banged them both up and they are true survivors of pilot error. They keep coming back for more !

Have a good one !

Hawk
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

HobbyZone Super Cub is about the best first plane for a self trainer that you will find.

If you like to ride thermals then I would recommend the Parkzone Radian.

If you want a first slope soaring glider, then I would recommend the Multiplex Easy Glider

And there are a lot of others, but these are the ones I recommend.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

I also agree with the HZ SC! Mine has a flat wing and ailerons also. It can be easily made into a 4 ch trainer, then you won't NEED to buy a new plane to learn ailerons. I have other planes that don't get flown near as much as the SC gets flown. And they are bigger and "better". I have a 450 and I'm tempted to re-motor it, got the ESC and a rcvr laying here.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

What's the flying experience level of the OP?

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 12-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
chipnkim

Greenhorn
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
chipnkim

I'm also having Trouble with Nitroplanes.com their tech is Impossible to deal with. Is this how they are all the time?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Yep....

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #18
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Greenhorn
I'll have to side with Ed then on the EZ Star. No prop in front to break, no gear to hang up, just heave it and fly. Also has the BIG advantage of getting the plane a few mistakes high, trimmed out and hey - it's a glider. Let your transmitter dangle for a second or two by the neck strap, wipe the sweat off your hands and go back to flying

Very well documented brushless motor and aileron mods, the same for other upgrades.

Cub would be a close second IMHO

As far as INDESTRUCTABLE, build any EPP wing per Chris Kliques method, and have at it

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

The most durable plane is the one that doesn't crash. But if like me, you don't live in that universe, here are a couple that can take an extreme amount of abuse and still come back for more:
+1 for the HZ Super Cub
Anything like the Sky Surfer/Bixler, Wild Hawk, Multiplex and on and on...
+1 for the HZ Mini Cub
Don't leave out the HZ Champ! We've beat the living crap out of these things at my school. They just keep going!

Buy packaging tape and Gorilla Glue by the case. They have magical restorative powers.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I'm going with Voltron with reservations on the CrashTestHobby Albatross. This plane flies as well as a Slow Stick, slow, controlled, wonderfully stable, but is made of almost indestructable EPP, like the Zagi. It would last much longer than an Easy Star, Bixler, Champ, anything else on the market, while delivering superior flying characteristics. Actually these things retain the very slow flying characteristics of a Slow Stick (superior to the Champ or Super Cub) while unlike the competition being EXCELLENT in windy conditions. This is not a recommendation that a brand newbie learn in the wind. It is only saying that a 10 mph wind is nothing to this plane, while it is a hurricane to a Champ and a gale to a Super Cub.

What's the reservation? Lee is only making them in a kit. Yes, he has nearly foolproof video instructions on You Tube, but imagine if this plane were available in an RTF. Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I knocked on the door hard and persuasively and Lee just doesn't see what he has and what its true potential is. Either that or he's not interested in being the #1 learner plane, because that's what he would have in about a month if he just did the last 15% or so to make an RTF version and get a full parts inventory available. It's possible he just doesn't want to grow that big...

But if you have help or have building experience, the Albatross is by far the most durable, easiest to fly learner plane in the business. That's saying a lot.

See for yourself: this thing is most impressive! Some crash testing for you.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #21
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Thumbs up About service of Nitroplanes ?

I have had EXCELLENT service from them with problems. Their fault & my fault. Always got prompt & O K service.

I got the right experienced person. Obviously.

If ANY Customer Person gives you a hard time......HANG UP. Rember their voice. If they answer again keep hanging up until you get a GOOD technician.
Works everytime for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #22
Voltron

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I'm going with Voltron with reservations on the CrashTestHobby Albatross. This plane flies as well as a Slow Stick, slow, controlled, wonderfully stable, but is made of almost indestructable EPP, like the Zagi. It would last much longer than an Easy Star, Bixler, Champ, anything else on the market, while delivering superior flying characteristics. Actually these things retain the very slow flying characteristics of a Slow Stick (superior to the Champ or Super Cub) while unlike the competition being EXCELLENT in windy conditions. This is not a recommendation that a brand newbie learn in the wind. It is only saying that a 10 mph wind is nothing to this plane, while it is a hurricane to a Champ and a gale to a Super Cub.

What's the reservation? Lee is only making them in a kit. Yes, he has nearly foolproof video instructions on You Tube, but imagine if this plane were available in an RTF. Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I knocked on the door hard and persuasively and Lee just doesn't see what he has and what its true potential is. Either that or he's not interested in being the #1 learner plane, because that's what he would have in about a month if he just did the last 15% or so to make an RTF version and get a full parts inventory available. It's possible he just doesn't want to grow that big...

But if you have help or have building experience, the Albatross is by far the most durable, easiest to fly learner plane in the business. That's saying a lot.

See for yourself: this thing is most impressive! Some crash testing for you.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I have mixed feelings about RTF planes. They make some really nice ones nowdays but buying an RTF plane for your first plane doesn't really prepare you to repair or maintain it. When I started out flying 20 years ago, RTF planes were non-existant and ARF planes weren't all that good. I built my first plane with only some help from an experienced person with the monokote. Building it myself helped me know how to fix it when needed.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I have mixed feelings about RTF planes. They make some really nice ones nowdays but buying an RTF plane for your first plane doesn't really prepare you to repair or maintain it. When I started out flying 20 years ago, RTF planes were non-existant and ARF planes weren't all that good. I built my first plane with only some help from an experienced person with the monokote. Building it myself helped me know how to fix it when needed.
I agree with Voltron. After being away from the hobby for 30 years, I re-started with a couple of RTF's( The HZ SC and the AF Cessna 182). It quickly dawned on me that I was collecting cheap TX's and RX's I really didn't want to grow with so I bit the bullet and bought a TX and standardized on Futaba from there. The third plane was a PNP (PZ-T-28). Still have fun repairing and modding-out these birds.

All that got me to the field and flying quickly. But from there, I got smitten on the pusher profile parkjets and have been building these foamies ever since. You truly do get to know your plane better and seeing it actually fly after the build is a nice reward, well, sometimes heartbreaking. Now I'm starting to learn how to do RC on the cheap and still make it interesting. Wish I had the money to plop down on a nice E-Flight or Hangar 9. Great stuff.

When you auger one into the ground you're out $300-$500. On the other hand, I have just as much fun augering my $30-$40 parkjets that I can make from Dollar Tree foam and find parkjet flying has made me better RC pilot.

Best,

Hawk
Old 12-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #24
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

SuperFly.

http://www.superflyrc.com/

Not for the beginner pilot though.

Frank

Let's Help Newcomers! << Click Here
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

OK, guys, you have my attention with the http://www.crashtesthobby.com/ Albatross shown in the video. Looking at the web site, the 36" Pelican. They look very cool and could be excellent first planes.

Have you guys actually flown these or are we all commenting on a video?

I have a project coming up that might involve working with middle school aged kids and these might fit the bill.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners