Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Stinger 64

Good Morning,
Well my smoking hot, beautiful wife of 20 years decided give me or granted me to have a Stinger 64 for upcoming anniversary on 29 December. So like a little kid I got excited and figured I would show everyone how it goes for me. This will be my first EDF and hopefully not my last. I understand it does not take long to build so. I will keep the post short as well for I may have it all put together before anyone reads this

So here goes. Obviously I checked out the packaging first. I normally am not to concerned about packaging however when the box arrived it seemed like it had been out in the snow/rain for some time and I feared massive water damage. I almost did not sign for it but what is a dog to do when a steak is right in front of him. So I took it but I took some pics to ensure it was all there. I was surprised to see the instructions because rumor control said I might not get any and that I may have to download them. So far so good HobbyKing!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260164.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	155800   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260163.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	155801  

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I am half way through the process of putting her together. I could of sworn I purchased a plane with Rx, will have to check on that. The instructions are ok at best. Does have a lot of pictures and for all us military folks out there. We like pictures Other than that no problems as of yet other than there is always one screw that does not want to cooperate and I ran into it already for the main wing but was finally able to work it out with a little persistence.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC260165.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	155802  

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I could of sworn I purchased a plane with Rx, will have to check on that. .
Nope HK is correct I see on my purchse order that it is required before use. No problem I think I would want a spektrum in there as well

Also I noticed as I installed the tail section the wires for the up and down elevator servos seemd short and not long enough to hook up to a Rx so I may purchase a extenion for those. Also I just realized I do not have the correct adapter for charging my bateries DOAH need that as well

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok its 90% done. I need to go pick up a Rx some extension wire and a adpter for my charger. Not bad so far. I do have some questions that I do not see in the manual, maybe someone can answer. I know where the foam piece on top goes but how is it mounted, glued? and there is a lot of space between in the fuse not sure if I need to glue it shut after every thing is hooked up?
There is also an ole saying in the mechanics world and that is "If you dont have extra stuff nuts and bolts you put it together wrong" and I do I have 2 extra screws and I assume the servo horns are spares. Could that be the screws for the top piece? Hmmm

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC260163.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	155807   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260164.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	155808   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260168.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	155809   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC260165.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	155810  

Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

OK ran the LHS today and got a Spektrum RX and a extension chord for the Servo wire. Unfortunatly they did not have an adapter for the yellow turnigy battery wire so I guess I need to make one. I have a friend who just totaled a plane and ruined his ESC so he said he would donate the end to me to make a charger plug for my charger. So that should work out. Tomorrow we will finish her up.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Nice little build thread Fisbonez. She's coming along great.

Some gaps are to be expected but that seams like a big one. I like to use gorilla glue on foam like this. But don't use a lot. It will swell and expand as it cures.

I'm looking forward to seeing the maiden flight report.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Nice little build thread Fisbonez. She's coming along great.

Some gaps are to be expected but that seams like a big one. I like to use gorilla glue on foam like this. But don't use a lot. It will swell and expand as it cures.

I'm looking forward to seeing the maiden flight report.
Thanks Max. I went ahead and used hot glue and some squeezing. Seemed to work out good

Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default All done

Ok I got her all together this afternoon and gave her a bench test and all seemed good. I went ahead and Hot glued that gap closed seemed to work Ok and I hot glued the little piece to the top. The one thing that did not impress me was the small cover piece did not fit snug. Thats Ok though just me be a perfectionist. Here are some pics and a short video of the bench test.

or

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all done top.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	155855   Click image for larger version

Name:	All done side.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	155856   Click image for larger version

Name:	all done front.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	155857  

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

She looks SWEET! Fly it, then upgrade to this:

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

She does look nice. *beats chest with manly grunt* I fear she will never look this good again. LOL Just am considering putting some packing tape around the nose and wings

That guys plane is crazy fast I dont know how he can keep track of it going that fast

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

OK ran the LHS today and got a Spektrum RX and a extension chord for the Servo wire. Unfortunatly they did not have an adapter for the yellow turnigy battery wire so I guess I need to make one. I have a friend who just totaled a plane and ruined his ESC so he said he would donate the end to me to make a charger plug for my charger. So that should work out. Tomorrow we will finish her up.
All HK motors / ESC's I've received - I cut of the connectors they give and fit my own ... never like using adaptors as that is adding wire length and risking high resistance joints.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
All HK motors / ESC's I've received - I cut of the connectors they give and fit my own ... never like using adaptors as that is adding wire length and risking high resistance joints.
Good point and I almost did this but for some reason the little voice in my head so no dont do it make a charger adapter. So after supper I will make one. Rather than modify the plane

Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

....... power / charge connectors .... I buy bags of them of Ebay for peanuts.

To be honest - I would prefer if HK didn't fit plugs on their gear and left wires ready to accept our preferred connectors.

My T45 came with really small bullet connectors on it's ESC power in lead ... no way Hosé !! SNIP SNIP .... soldered on a decent deans. Now I KNOW the joint is good, the amps capacity of connection is fine ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

....... power / charge connectors .... I buy bags of them of Ebay for peanuts.

To be honest - I would prefer if HK didn't fit plugs on their gear and left wires ready to accept our preferred connectors.

My T45 came with really small bullet connectors on it's ESC power in lead ... no way Hosé !! SNIP SNIP .... soldered on a decent deans. Now I KNOW the joint is good, the amps capacity of connection is fine ...
Oh I did not know they sold that on ebay nor did I think to check. Hunh may have to look into that here in the near future.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Oh I did not know they sold that on ebay nor did I think to check. Hunh may have to look into that here in the near future.
Example ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DEANS-...item3a69e7d1ac

I'm sure that you can find others that are better located for USA ... and ignore all that rubbish you read about clone Deans ... I've used cheapest of cheap and had no trouble at all with soldering and power use. I now have a preferred seller for them and the quality is fine.
I had a model with ORIGINAL deans on and the spring tongues soon needed bending - so i ask why should I pay so high for such ?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #16
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Agreed. Its a shame that most Local Hobby Stores dont stock these many items in bulk. I would much rather visit the LHS than order online sometimes. I also like face to face with folks. I have been known to pay the more expensive price just for that

Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Agreed. Its a shame that most Local Hobby Stores dont stock these many items in bulk. I would much rather visit the LHS than order online sometimes. I also like face to face with folks. I have been known to pay the more expensive price just for that
I totally agree ... and I too will pay more to have over counter "In my hand" along with service.

Trouble is where I live there are only a handful of RC people - so there's no biz in setting up a shop. When I say handful .... at the Annual Fly-In this summer there were only about 20 flyers attended from over Latvia. We estimate that there may only be about 100 in total !!

Second - even if you have many RC / Model people - online is so cheap now - the shops tend to be display counters that then people duck of to order onloine cheaper. Poor old shop is then left having chatted about the item but sold nothing. It happens in all shop markets. o how can the shop carry stock - if it cannot sell it.

Shops have also changed a lot from the 1970 ... 1980's - when true dedicated RC shops were around ... now many of them are glorified Toy Shops .. where RC is a secondary item. You are a lucky person if you have a true RC shop local ... and with a RC savvy person behind the counter ........

Anyway ... back to your Stinger ............. I'm waiting for you to fly it, get the 'itch' and UP the power !! Decent 4S pack in there ... strip of all unnecessary appendages ............ speed ? What me ? You bet !!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I totally agree ... and I too will pay more to have over counter "In my hand" along with service.

Trouble is where I live there are only a handful of RC people - so there's no biz in setting up a shop. When I say handful .... at the Annual Fly-In this summer there were only about 20 flyers attended from over Latvia. We estimate that there may only be about 100 in total !!

Second - even if you have many RC / Model people - online is so cheap now - the shops tend to be display counters that then people duck of to order onloine cheaper. Poor old shop is then left having chatted about the item but sold nothing. It happens in all shop markets. o how can the shop carry stock - if it cannot sell it.

Shops have also changed a lot from the 1970 ... 1980's - when true dedicated RC shops were around ... now many of them are glorified Toy Shops .. where RC is a secondary item. You are a lucky person if you have a true RC shop local ... and with a RC savvy person behind the counter ........

I could not agree more. My LHS has just celebrated its one year anniversary and I do hope they last for a while here. They do have some very knowledgable people in all things RC

Anyway ... back to your Stinger ............. I'm waiting for you to fly it, get the 'itch' and UP the power !! Decent 4S pack in there ... strip of all unnecessary appendages ............ speed ? What me ? You bet !!
Well I have to admit she does intimidate me a bit. When I first bought my cub I was afraid to take it out because of the unexpected. Now I know what to expect yet I am unsure of the speed. I fear I will lawn dart it faster than I got it all together. I dont mind crashing because I know it is inevitable just want to fly it more than once or at a minimal try to get it trimmed before going down in flames As I always seem to do once I get used to something I have to tinker around with it so I can see upgrading it after I figure out how to fly it well. I am a speed demon myself but I have not gotten very good at controlling speed especially having to think far in advance of what to do next.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK - my T45 is in it's early stages of speed development. I have upped it by a reasonable margin compared to stock ... but still in the fair to medium range. I think you are worrying too much ... we ALL do it ... I've been aerobating models, pylon racing, sport for many years aprt from a lay off period. I got back into this about 3 yrs ago. Knowing what I knew ... had me very nervous ...

Trick is ... deep breath ... make sure you have a good launcher who launches straight and level NOT the awful nose up you see so many do. As long as the model is surfaces square on and you don't do anything daft - she should pull away, possibly with a easy bank to left as she torques. Let her pick up flying speed and something like the Stinger will do that easily. That's if she's near trimmed as built.
One of the things I hate seeing and IMHO is unnecessary - the Run and Chuck that some do .. quite often the launcher loses control of the hold on the model ... nose goes up .... stall ...
It should launch without a run ... if not then IMHO it's not underpowered. A steady standing still launch ....

It may be worth finding a nice soft long grass area and giving her a test glide ....
As I am told by another who has one - on stock set-up .... you can fly easily on about 70% throttle ... giving a reasonably sedate run. I know my T45 which is similar style but smaller flies level circuit on 60%...
You read all sorts about not pulling tight in turns - agreed but only when in cruise mode. Open her up ad she will pull tight enough.
It's not the flying that may catch you out - it's the long glide in to land. Resign yourself to a long walk and don't stall her in ... let her descend in a nice glide .... Leave the precision landings to those who are better than you and I !!

Me ... I'm a warbird / WW1 fan ... biplanes especially ... but this EDF lark has fired me so much - it's unbelievable. The smile on my face after a run is to be seen.

Nearly forgot ... My advise ? forget all the mods to add Rudder etc. - put her together as designed ... she's a machine to carve up the air in long sweeping turns ... low passes .... beating up the flight line ... IMHO - if you want aerobatics - get a Pitts !! Jets don't look right doing Pitts style stuff ...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Wow some really good advice there solentlife. I appreciate it. I have heard a lot of methods on handlaunch. I have always found it easier when I hand launch with about 45 degreees, gives me enough time to get my hand back on the controles. However I have never handlainched an EDF with the controller. Someone else has always done the flying. I have handlaunched the stinger for someone else however and noticed it liked to pitch right. Dony know if that was his setup or not. I agree I may have to head out in the tall grass for the maiden flight for now I am stuck in 50 mph winds gusting to about 60+ Looks like I will have more fence to repair.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Maiden

OK today was the day I maiden my Stinger. Pucker factor began at a level of 10, 10 being the max, as I was nervous as . Though it did not come out on the video the first hand launch did no go well at all. Here is what happened we hand launched with the wind and I don’t think she was not able to suck enough air to get any lift. Now I know Fish what were you thinking you violated rule number one of flying. Here is the method to our madness at the time, the wind was blowing out of the SW at approximately 5mph. Problem was it was also directly inline with the sun and there is a Parking Lot with in 50 yards of where we were standing and we feared that I might lose it in the sun right from the start and possibly ram it right into the parking lot smashing the plane with in seconds. We tried Yea No. So we tried a launch just off to the left but still into the wind. That worked, pucker factor is now at a 11.5, 10 is max did I just shart? I will say I don’t care what anyone says this plane gets up and goes! Amazingly she only needed a little up elevator to get her trimmed. The only problem was I could not get to the trim button fast enough. Thanks to my buddy Larry he came to the rescue and reached over and hit it for me for he could see I was not reaching it in time. Pucker factor is now back down to 11, 10 is the max get an ambulance, she flew great but after about a minute into the flight I lost control of her and my mind and she nosed into the ground. Post crash analysis revealed that there was to much throw in the servos. I can only blame myself it seems that when this plane comes out of the box the control rods are connected to the control horns in the middle hole, I failed to check that I just assumed they were in the first hole, another lesson for Bonez. IMHO this is a great plane and I loved the thrill and rush it gives you. I think it will make a great first time EDF, I hope I just did not jinx it. However like in a chess game you have to think 2-3 moves ahead or it will get ahead of you very quickly as it did me. Please enjoy the video and thanks to Larry for launching and coaching me through it and Thanks to my daughter for video for me. As you can see she is far better than me. Stay tuned for another flight report after repairs. Oh by the way anyone know of a foam stretcher for the nose? Oh…shucks. Well a bit of glue and some straightening she will be up hopefully again this weekend weather permitting.and I can not wait.

or

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

OK I dropped Aileron to 70% but I have to remember to hit the AIL DIR switch to engage the setting. Oh I also added just a bit up elevator in hopes that may make Handlaunching a bit easier. Straightened the nose, sorta and added some packing tape to places that I think may be weak

Was going out to try this out this afternoon until I just heard the wind whistle past the house. I guess I must regain patience and wait for tomorrow or this weekend

Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #23
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

While I have been waiting for better weather to fly my Stinger 64 I though I might look for a sim for it, I have been using the Habu which works but not quite the same, and have been unsuccessful so I thought I might toss it out there. Does anyone know of or where there might be a Stinger 64 sim for Real Flight?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

To straighten a nose ...

It needs heat ... not so much to bubble up the foam, (small bead foam WILL bubble and then look like packing foam ! if overheated - i did it .. I know !! )

While it's hot ... you coach it into shape ... some people actually glue a wood rod or light plastic into the nose and then STRETCH the nose with that ... cutting it off flush after.

Jig the affair while still warm and let cool.

Control movements ... either set clevis further out on surface horns and further in on servo to reduce or the other way as I've done on my new Biplane ... bring the end points back so full rate is at recc'd. The D/R should then % of that ...

I don't normally like EPA adjusting for max settings but the biplane is aerobatic job and it's easier to up the surface movement by adjusting EPA later than moving clevis etc. I usually end up with more than recc'd ...
Your Stinger really - you need to get her set on recc'd movements and D/R at lot less ... not use D/R to get recc'd ...

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

To straighten a nose ...

It needs heat ... not so much to bubble up the foam, (small bead foam WILL bubble and then look like packing foam ! if overheated - i did it .. I know !! )

While it's hot ... you coach it into shape ... some people actually glue a wood rod or light plastic into the nose and then STRETCH the nose with that ... cutting it off flush after.

Jig the affair while still warm and let cool.
Great tip indeed. I used the wifes hair dryer, dont tell her though she would freak out if she knew her dryer was in the garage, which seemed to work for the most part. I am confident I will have ample opportunity to try it again. EarthTeach mentioned hot water but I have yet to try it.

Control movements ... either set clevis further out on surface horns and further in on servo to reduce or the other way as I've done on my new Biplane ... bring the end points back so full rate is at recc'd. The D/R should then % of that ...

I don't normally like EPA adjusting for max settings but the biplane is aerobatic job and it's easier to up the surface movement by adjusting EPA later than moving clevis etc. I usually end up with more than recc'd ...
Your Stinger really - you need to get her set on recc'd movements and D/R at lot less ... not use D/R to get recc'd ...
I am following you for the most part I am just not sure what these 2 abreviations mean
EPA =
recc'd =

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets