Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I am following you for the most part I am just not sure what these 2 abreviations mean
EPA = .... END POINT ADJUSTMENT ... the adjustment you can do via radio menu

recc'd = ...... RECCOMMENDED

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

As I see it ... you are nervous about the speed / capability of the model. Fair enough - a healthy attitude to have.

I think many will agree with this, but probably do not consciously do it - it just happens as a natural way to fly the EDF's .. Square oval circuits. What I mean by that is sweeping jet turns at ends of the field and mostly straight passes in between...

I have a theory that it comes down to the visual factor of seeing it scream past ... I know that all the close in loops, rolls, stall turns etc. I do with the biplanes - I don't look to do with the EDF.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
As I see it ... you are nervous about the speed / capability of the model. Fair enough - a healthy attitude to have.
I do I do have a tendancy to overthink stuff when I should just go for it

I think many will agree with this, but probably do not consciously do it - it just happens as a natural way to fly the EDF's .. Square oval circuits. What I mean by that is sweeping jet turns at ends of the field and mostly straight passes in between...
This is exactly what I want to do getting used to her

I have a theory that it comes down to the visual factor of seeing it scream past ... I know that all the close in loops, rolls, stall turns etc. I do with the biplanes - I don't look to do with the EDF.
A very good theory at that

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #29
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I am following you for the most part I am just not sure what these 2 abreviations mean
EPA = .... END POINT ADJUSTMENT ... the adjustment you can do via radio menu

recc'd = ...... RECCOMMENDED

Ahhh I see

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thumbs up Like butta

Thanks Solentlife I took yours and everyones advice. I dropped my aileron expo settings to about 70% with a rate of 50% and elevator rate to 40%, I hope all this makes sense because it did yesterday at least to me anyway. Yesterday I could wait no longer the wind finally dropped and it began to warm up so what is a guy to do on his last day of vacation? Oh yea go flying. I flew nothing fancy just easy ovals and figure 8s I just wanted to get the feel of it. Boy let me tell ya it was like carving butter very stable in the air. Went right wear I put her. What a kick in the pants cant wait to take her out again today. The video is a compilation of all 3 attempts filming was hard for the cameraman and camerawoman due to speed and trying yo keep up with the quick little plane but here ya go please enjoy. Oh and yea I plan to put the minicam on her just have not decided where and how to mount it yet.

or

I like choices

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #31
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I crashed and smashed my Stinger 64 today. Not sure what happened and unfortunately the video did not come out but after a few bad hand tosses finally got a good one and again flying like a champ however for some reason, which I can not figure why, I powered down into a coast. Looked very coOl as it passed but but instead of increasing speed gradually I "goosed the gas" she went into a roll and like a drill slammed into the ground. Why it went into a spin I could not figure out. Possibly vertical stab came loose but just guessing a quick view of the carnage is posted below. I did finally get her back into one piece but she looks really rough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1457.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	156227   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1458.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	156228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1459.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	156229   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1460.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	156230  

Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

If she was flying and you then hit the throttle - she should not roll and drill into the ground ... torque from the motor only really happens when she's NOT at flying speed and wing is not "flying" ....

I suspect you had something else happen ... a roll indicates aileron induced ... or one elevator not working ... If it was a prop job - then yes you could consider torque roll but then only with a large diameter prop.

Sorry to hear you pranged it ............ but I think you can agree that they are FUN !!

I'm just annoyed that my upgrade motor / LiPo's haven't arrived yet and also weather is #$%^&

Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

If she was flying and you then hit the throttle - she should not roll and drill into the ground ... torque from the motor only really happens when she's NOT at flying speed and wing is not "flying" ....

I suspect you had something else happen ... a roll indicates aileron induced ... or one elevator not working ... If it was a prop job - then yes you could consider torque roll but then only with a large diameter prop.
You know you may have something there. When I think about it, I may have reved it up at an angle and may have gotten the rudder to engage

Sorry to hear you pranged it ............ but I think you can agree that they are FUN !!
Are you kidding me??? This thing aint fun its a TOTAL BLAST! I just need to figure out a way to handtoss her and get my thumbs /fingers back on the stick. One of the benefits I think Europeans have is using the other mode with up/down and right/left on your left stick. I have thought about switching but I think I would screw up the muscel memory in my head

I'm just annoyed that my upgrade motor / LiPo's haven't arrived yet and also weather is #$%^&
I hear ya I cant stand waiting for parts to come in the mail. I am like a little kid sometimes and I WANT IT NOW!!! LOL

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #34
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Nice, Bonez! She looks rough, just the way an EDF should. LOL!

Looks like the music police got to your youtube video...

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #35
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

She ha been beaten up pretty hard so far. So did FWD before I mastered her. I do wish I could find a kit of this plane because I think I would put some small pieces of carbon fiber in some areas if I could and may if it break in a good spot

I checked my video and yea the some of 220 countries cant hear the audio or music. I guess even if you make zero denero on a song/video YouTube says no

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #36
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I thought HK did a kit only version - I was sure I had seen it in the Replacement parts listing ... but cannot find it now.

I'll keep looking - as I think this is going to be the airframe I use for later speed attempts ...

Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #37
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Got 2 really great flights in with my Stinger today. I hand launched it myself this time. The first throw was not so good went directly in nose first ARGH more glue. Boy is she looking scared up in the front. 2nd time I waited for the wind to pick up a bit and tossed her a bit harder, up she went and flew just as graceful as I could expect. Had full control which was nice, though my leg still could not keep from shaking, I was able to do a number of barrel rolls which were fun and very nerve racking all in one. After about a 5 min flight give or take because I forgot to hit the timer. I brought her around right into the wind for a beautiful grass landing. I think I was caught do a little jig in excitement. 3rd time I went to hand launch her she did not take off right or something because I shut power down right away and swooped her for a nice grass landing. I still don't know what happened but it just did not feel right. Cant put my finger on it other than I knew something was wrong. No damage however fired her right back up and away she went again. Love this plane when she is in the air bent nose and all. flew for another 5 mins or so because again I forgot to hit the timer barrel roles to the chagrin of my buddy Larry. brought her into the wind and this time she plopped down messing up the nose again but a quick repair and a battery charge and she will be up again soon. What a blast and what a day. I think my nerves had the best work out they have ever had today. I did tryout a version of a hat cam with the minicam but all you could see was the ground need to find away to prop her up a bit so it can be seen from the air.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #38
earthsciteach

Nice job, Bonez! Glad to hear you are gaining command of the edf.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #39
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Teach
It is a blast once you get it up in the air. The hard part is getting it up there. Needs a lot of wind and a really good throw. I think I am going to look into building a launcher for it and then order another one just wing and frame with wheels so that when this one can no laonger take the abuse I have been giving it I will have something to transfer all elecs to oh and carbon fober the front end because it takes a pounding

Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Boy is this becoming one of my favorite planes. She is definitly scared up now but, now that I can hand toss her it is just so much fun. She is a real kick in the pants. I have to hand toss it with my Left hand and because I am right handed it took a lot of practice and failure before I could get it right. Landing is a bit hard I think I bring it in a bit to fast and have a tendance to bend up the nose. I have to glue it back on again today. I am thinking about reinforcing it witha popsicle stick but am unsure how much this will affect the CG. I am also now considering putting my minicam on it but am not sure where to put it and where to use my fishline for added security of the cam. If anyone has a sugestion I am up for it. I now see why an EDF can become so addicting.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #41
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just got back from desert again for a day !!

Landing gear - wheels .... $6 from Hobby King are designed specifically for the Stinger. I have them for my 50mm EDF. All up weight incl the nose wheel servo 54gr. Go to Replacement parts .... think it's about 2nd or 3rd page ...

Judging by the Youtube vids of Stingers hitting over 200kph ... I may just be looking at getting one myself and hotting her up .... Motors can be swapped out for higher KV ... up the cell pack from 3 to 4 ... maybe 5S ...

I think your launch problems may be linked to your fear of power .... hopefully as you get happier with it - you'll get to know what is needed in all situations to get her away ...

I'm very lucky that I have a guy in my group who launches very well ... a look at my T45 vids on Youtube will show ...

Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #42
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Smile

Just got back from desert again for a day !!

Landing gear - wheels .... $6 from Hobby King are designed specifically for the Stinger. I have them for my 50mm EDF. All up weight incl the nose wheel servo 54gr. Go to Replacement parts .... think it's about 2nd or 3rd page ...
Yes I have been thinking about purchasing those. I plan to buy the Air Frame and Wing so when I am done making this plane a pile of Marshmallows I can switch it out and I will add the landing gear to it. I cant quite do it now because my front end is so meshed up I don't think it would sit in the nicely. But who knows...

Judging by the Youtube vids of Stingers hitting over 200kph ... I may just be looking at getting one myself and hotting her up .... Motors can be swapped out for higher KV ... up the cell pack from 3 to 4 ... maybe 5S ...
Go for it this plane is so much fun. I like watching it hall azz. I am a speed junkie of sorts. I love fast cars and such...

I think your launch problems may be linked to your fear of power .... hopefully as you get happier with it - you'll get to know what is needed in all situations to get her away ...

I'm very lucky that I have a guy in my group who launches very well ... a look at my T45 vids on Youtube will show ...
You would be a 100% correct here. This by far is the fastest of my planes and smallest for that matter and of course my first EDF, I have flown her quite well at WOT, what a rush. Most of my problems when I tossed her right handed was I was not able to get my hands back on the control stick fast enough. With my left hand that problem is solved but unlike my daughter who is ambidextrous, I had to relearn to throw to get her right, boy did I have to look silly thank goodness for my dog who just likes to fetch rather than look at the skill of the ball being thrown

Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Once I get back from Iran etc. - I'll be putting together a shopping list... Stinger / EDF unit / LiPo's etc. - to have a speed-demon.

My T45 is occupying my development stages at moment and what I learn there will help a lot in getting the required with the Stinger.

Once kitted out - we are looking to start speed records in Latvia .... it will be interesting to see just how far we can push models like this ....

Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #44
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Sounds like fun Solent definitly keep me informed how it goes and do be careful while in Iran.

Got excited today when I found a website with Stinger Spare parts...Boy do I need some of them

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinger_6...36467_prd1.htm

Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #45
earthsciteach

Hey, did you guys catch the new aluminum 50 mm EDF unit that is going to be available from HK? I saw a video on HK for it, but I can't find it for sale, yet. It should be a very light adn powerful beast if it lives up to the hype.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #46
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Hey, did you guys catch the new aluminum 50 mm EDF unit that is going to be available from HK? I saw a video on HK for it, but I can't find it for sale, yet. It should be a very light adn powerful beast if it lives up to the hype.
No I did not know that is it just the fan or do you get the motor as well?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #47
earthsciteach

Looks like it is a complete package. Here's the link:

Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #48
earthsciteach

Nigel,
Stop screwing around in the Middle East! Go home and fly something!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #49
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Looks like it is a complete package. Here's the link:
Hunh i bit to small for the Stinger but looks like it could be a great EDF fan. I like the aluminum frame far better than the plastic type for obviouse. I could not find it either maybe not released yet?

Nigel,
Stop screwing around in the Middle East! Go home and fly something!
Could not agree more

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #50
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Finally got a flight out ... should be home evening 10th Feb .... how long before next assignment - who knows ....

But this weekend - I'm hoping if weather not too cold and windy - to get out there and trial some of this gear that's sitting on my bench waiting me !!

I like the look of the 50mm alloy fan ... with the sort of RPM's I'm planning to get up to - maybe a good idea to swap out to that ...

Potential RPM I'm looking at is over 66,000 - tough call for a plastic EDF !!

So here's hoping wife has not too many plans for my time ... .... I can brave the freezing weather ... and hopefully I shall be posting some vids / news on speed attempts !

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets