Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #76
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Yea just dont judge my soldering conections LOL

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #77
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Here Ya go

I did not quite understand your question so I tried to lay it out just like it is in the wiring diagram. The only spot that I used a Y conection was between the 2 ESC and ran the other end to the Rx I clipped the positive lead coming from the 30 amp ESC.
Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1511.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	158552  

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #78
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

This is what my motor is doing. Any sugestions? I think it is the motor since the ESC is new. Just thought I might toss it out there in case I am wrong

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #79
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
This is what my motor is doing. Any sugestions? I think it is the motor since the ESC is new. Just thought I might toss it out there in case I am wrong
Fixed windings were burnt.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #80
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok,
today I completed the afterburner mod and looks pretty good. Just hope it flies. Let me know what you think. I hope to try to take her out some evening soon and get some video if it flies or not

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #81
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Thanks Fish !
Still traveling but I'm told a box arrived from California. Banana delivers in 3 working days? 75.00 +16.00 shipping? Not bad. Love the AB mod vid. Will add to the Red Arrows . A guy at the field has a couple extra strands of yellow.
Looks like next weekend for maiden

Hawk
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #82
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Cool Hawk
I hope Banana comes through for ya. The Mod looks cool. Cant wait to give her a try wanted to fly it today but it was to bright out and did not want to crash before getting to look at it.

I think you will like the mod with you new red arrow. Looking forward to seeing it. Good Luck!!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Banana really surprized me. Red Arrows arrived after 3 biz days. Included lipo & gear(wont use) shipped for $91.00. Opened box and it was packed well with no damage. So, we're off to a good start anyway.

Looking for local source for the fiberglass cloth. Really want to do this afterburner lights mod. Do you know what kind of shops might carry?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #84
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

You can buy fiberglass cloth at Lowes or Home Depot.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #85
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Teach !
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #86
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Shaweet

Sweet Hawk I am glad BH came through for you. Teach is right you ca buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. I purchased mine from HK for 2 reasons first I had never heard of that kind if cloth before and 2 to fill up my shipping price

Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #87
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks Fish,

Thanks Fish,

Went to my LHS yesterday and they have the strands of lights. Looks like they come in 3 inch strand and then there's a clip on wire connector with wire. They were out of the connecting wire. The other option would be to plug the lights in channel 5 or 6 and just toggle them on or off from the TX. Of course, I would lose the realism of the proportional brightness with the throttle.

Look forward to getting her maidened .

Happy Easter !

Hawk
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #88
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok work and weather finally cooperated for me to launch my Stinger with the afterburner modification. Enjoy

INMHO ROGTO its not achievable with the 64mm here at 6000 feet. The air is to dense. I think I will remove the landing gear and return the Stinger to a belly lander. I may later install a 70mm EDF for more performance. I will try to post a hand toss with the modification as soon as I can

Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #89
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Got a question

OK actually got a flight with the Stinger and afterburner mod. I removed the landing gear and 5 tosses later it finally got in the air, however it seems underpowered suddenly bit confused as to why but I am thinking of putting a 4 cell in it but can not decide if a 30amp ESC will handle the voltage Anyone know?? Also can anyone tell me how to figure out what ESC amperage can handle what voltage. Do I use ohlms law which is confusing enough

Enjoy a quick video of the stinger and its afterburer mod the video did not come out as good as we had hoped but again after 5 tosses we did not think it was going to fly. Enjoy

Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #90
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Looks great. I don't know the calcs off hand but for what it's worth, I'm popping in a 4s Nanotech 30C in my T-45. It worked fine in my Radjet. I don't think Nigel has a had a problem. From the threads I've read I think you'll be okay as long as you're not WOT the whole time, otherwise, you may have to bump up to a 40amp esc. Might want to also check with Denny.

-Hawk
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #91
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well, near the end of a very fun and long day of flying my friend, Gary realized he had a 4 cell 20-50c Nano-Tech battery, I have forgotten the MAH, So we figured why not gotta love going into the unknown. Popped it in, checked CG, added little nose weight and off we went. With a god hand Launch she took off magnificently but suddenly became very tail heavy and had to crash land her. Checked her out damage was not to significant glued her up a bit and realized that we had not secured the battery well enough and believe it had shifted just enough throw the CG off. So finished repairs did a better job of securing the battery and off we went again. Took of beautifully again just like she should! Was able to do a couple of rolls and I think she even smiled at me after a fly by. Flight time was very short however about 3 mins but I really enjoyed flying the Stinger again. Your right Hawk do not think WOT for long is a good idea because that battery was very hot even after 3 mins. May have to up the ESC someday but until then we shall enjoy short little runs with her again. I will never understand why she does not like her original 3 cell 1.8 but she dont. In fact we tried it one last time with the 3 cell and she did get up but took forever to get to speed and altitude and once she finally did it was about a minute before it was over. Very strange but she is back and I am happy about that may even get her a new fuse so she looks cool again we will see.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #92
Wallygator
Just Chillin!

Club: OWLS
Friends: (0)

I have flown my Stinger with several different batteries.
30c 1800 good speed and about 4 minutes flying time (Older pack)
40c 1300 good speed but only about 3.5 minutes (new Genesis pack)
65c 1300 best speed but still only 3.5 minutes (new Genesis pack)
30c 1350 Thunder Power best speed but 3 minutes and puffed the pack (old but formerly reliable pack)
Advised my friend that was buying a Stinger to get 1600 mil packs. Will see what difference thay make.
Fisbonez could the extra drag of the afterburner be the culprit? I would think the LED's and the fiberglass add a lot of drag.. Still want to try AB's on mine but without the glass. Also going to try adding a thrust tube to clean up the flow.
Wallygator

I've been there, I don't want to go back for a long time!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #93
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey Wally,
are those batteries 3 cell or 4. I think you may be right the AB setup must be too heavy or to much drag it is the only thing left not keeping it in its original configuration so I have been debating on whether to have 2 stingers one with AB and 4cell and one daily ride in it original configuration. It seems banana hobby has them for 89 dollars.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #94
Wallygator
Just Chillin!

Mine are all 3 cells, but I can't seem to slow down because when I do the peanut gallery starts yellin' Faster...
Going to try 4 cells when I get a new ESC, not sure if the stock one will handle 4S. Also ordering a new fan from HK (7 blade)
Banana is where I bought mine, best price plus they had a deal for free shipping. I got the plane and two batteries (1 40c & 1 65C) for 118.00 shipped. They were still offering the free shipping as far as I know because a friend just ordered one too. Promo Code Springflying was still working Monday..
Wally

Old 05-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #95
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Cool.
Here in Wyoming the air is far less dense and we require alot of power to get in the air. 4 cell does work with the original ESC but WOT for a long period of time may burn up the ESC so I would recomend uping it some

Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #96
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well my Stinger met her doom today. After putting in her new 4s she took like a rocket but somehow I lost orientation and nosed her in hard in a field. Ouch looked like something from Stay Puff Marshmallow CO. I am going to purchase a new one however. I do not think I am going to put the Afterburner mod on. It was cool but it had to be one of the reasons she could not sustain flight with a 3s 1800 MAH. After returrning her to her original configuration with the mod of course she still continued to fly like DOO DOO so I am going to keep the new one stock. My f86 is no rocket and I enjoy the roller coaster ride she gives and I think the Stinger does the same so I am not going to "pick up a happy baby" and leave the new one alone. Will have to wait until my daughters graduation from High School and a good payday to pay off some other bills. More to come.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #97
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Sorry for your loss Fish,

I know you were close to the Stinger. Like losing a good friend sometimes. Can you recycle the electrics and find the kit version? Airframe only? Have you seen this site? http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes.html

Illinois.

Just a thought...

Do you think gyros would have helped save her from her early retirement?

Well, at least after your daughters' graduation, you still have Father's Day !

Let us know...

-Hawk
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #98
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Sorry for your loss Fish,

I know you were close to the Stinger. Like losing a good friend sometimes. Can you recycle the electrics and find the kit version? Airframe only? Have you seen this site? http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes.html

Illinois.

Just a thought...

Do you think gyros would have helped save her from her early retirement?

Well, at least after your daughters' graduation, you still have Father's Day !

Let us know...

-Hawk
I was close to it,I liked that plane psst dont tell anyone but HK had it for only 89 bucks at US warehouse thank goodness for paypal, its really the devil for me, Just have to wait about a week for it to come in
Gyros has definitly crossed my mind however in Wyoming the air is so thin its hard to gain speed unless you have a 64 mm or bigger. So maybe but I would want to put it in something like Habu or bigger

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #99
Wallygator
Just Chillin!

Sorry to hear you lost your Stinger. I bent the nose on mine trying to do a touch and go. It touched and stopped but only damage was a bent and cracked nose forward of the canopy. A little foamsafe CA and she was flying in 5 minutes. My friend has one now and he had done the same during a landing, these are pretty tolerant of minor mishaps. My next step is 4S also. Need more speed!!

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #100
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Do you get the shakes when you press the "place order" button? LOL

For me, it's part of the addiction...

Way to go ! The Stinger will regain air superiority over Wyoming again.

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets