Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #101
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Originally Posted by Wallygator View Post
Mine are all 3 cells, but I can't seem to slow down because when I do the peanut gallery starts yellin' Faster...
Going to try 4 cells when I get a new ESC, not sure if the stock one will handle 4S. Also ordering a new fan from HK (7 blade)
Banana is where I bought mine, best price plus they had a deal for free shipping. I got the plane and two batteries (1 40c & 1 65C) for 118.00 shipped. They were still offering the free shipping as far as I know because a friend just ordered one too. Promo Code Springflying was still working Monday..
Wally
Thanks for the tip about the free shipping from BH. I wish I'd known that before ordering my $75.00 T-45 50mm Red Arrows. Alot of people have complained about BH but my experiece wth them was actually quite good. Shipped in 3 days. Might dive in for the F9F Panther or T-33.

Go Gators !

Hawk '78 UF grad

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #102
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Gator,
Came close to pulling the trigger at BH for the F-16 50mm. Tried the code ' Spring Flying" but it had expired so I was able to restrain myself . $69.00 including shipping would have been a great deal.

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #103
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Ok new Stinger arrived and I was going to put in a 65 amp ESC so I could use 4s but after soldering it up the ESC was bad so we took that mojo and decided it will stay stock at least until it wipes out LOL

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #104
Wallygator
Just Chillin!

Club: OWLS
Friends: (0)
Default Stinger launch

Testing homemade catapult launcher with Stinger 64. Found out they launch best without power then nail it once off the line.. Have multiple club members buying Stingers now. Best fun for the money since I started flying 30 years ago...
Wallygator

I've been there, I don't want to go back for a long time!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #105
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Wallygator View Post
Testing homemade catapult launcher with Stinger 64. Found out they launch best without power then nail it once off the line.. Have multiple club members buying Stingers now. Best fun for the money since I started flying 30 years ago...
Wallygator
Hey Wally that looks great. Do you have any plans, the ones I have found are not very detailed and I seem a bit lost. Also this is the first I have seen with Stinger.

After a few setbacks I finally got the Stinger flying again yesterday and boy did it feel good to see her up again and I have almost forgotten what a roller coaster ride she can be

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #106
Wallygator
Just Chillin!

Club: OWLS

I do have plans that I got from another forum but they had to be modified. I am in the process of adding the changes and I will post them here. The most expensive part is the high start which I already had, I have about $35.00 in mine. I used 1" PVC pipe and fittings, the latex tubing I used was from a sailplane high start, I have enough to make two more when the first one breaks.
Wally

I've been there, I don't want to go back for a long time!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #107
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default A good day

Well after a few crashes rebuilds I think I worked all the bugs out and The Stinger is up and running again. Yep thats a rubber band keeping the cockpit on. For some reason after a crash I can never get it to lign up again. So yep it works. I stii love the roller coaster she puts me on. Soon I will get back to rolls and and dives but for now we will just keep getting used to it again.
Enjoy.

Buy the way she is still hard to keep in view with the GoPro. Probably doesnt help me flying 4 mistakes high.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #108
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

Watched the vid. The Stinger looks great ! Nice weather out there too ! Also saw one on the air-brake. Clever ! Beats flapperons. You should put music to that one and call it the "singing stinger."

Went ahead and popped for the F-16 50mm Skyangels. Could not restrain myself from the deal.

Have a good one !

-Hawk

Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #109
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Some more fun

and

Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #110
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thumbs up Update Wow what a lot of fun

Well its been a while since I had posted much about my Stinger. She has been flying great lately and I just could not be happier with this plane, Here is a speed run I did the other day yea 80 mph may not be too fast but was really fun for me and I think stock and 6100 feet with a pilot who is a bit intimidated by speed I thin she performed great. Enjoy

Thanks to WyomingOutdoors for cheering me on, filming and dopplering it for me

Old 08-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #111
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

I just got one of these and was thinking about which battery to run in it for best stock performance. I have 1800 3S but I see where a lot of people recommended a 1600 3S. I wonder will the extra weight of an 1800 mah be a problem?

Also, is the CG in the instructions correct? Seems to me I might want it to be just a tiny bit nose heavy in case I have to dead stick it. Anyone have experience with dead stick landing this plane and if so how well does it do?

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #112
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Top Spin,
You are going to love this plane, I fly it on 3s 1800 myself and it flies just fine. I do check balance before toaking it up and it is flush with the front. I did put adjust my Dual Rates ALOT maybe too much for some but I tend to over correct when flying and I only switch to 100 percent rates (high rates) when I decide to do snap rolls or fly stright up with a roll but quickly return it after each roll. I have tried flying on 4s but dont know if the stock ESC can handle it but it will cruise like a rocket if you choose but again the ESC may not be able to handle it. I recommend extreme tape on the nose cone and leading edge of the wings. I also put extreme tape from the front of the fuse to the end of the wing on the bottom because the 4 screws does hold the wing in place but the spot wher the fuse meets the wing is a week spot. I cant throw this plane by myself. I have seen many people who have but for some reason I cant seem to do it. Good luck with this plane I think you will enjoy it after you get some used to it. Let us all know how it does. The Stinger has become one of my favorite planes. Im stoked to hear your opinion of it and wish I could be there to watch it.

Oh yea CG was spot on and I use a bit if sandpaper in the finger holes if you decide to hand throw fom the (that is the CG point by the way) However tossing from the thrust tube just behind the wing has been most successful for me. I dead stick my landings all the time because she will glide for quite a ways for nice soft landing in the grass

Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #113
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Thank you Fishbonze. I really appreciate your tips, especially taping the wing and nose. I plan to fly it using 1800 30C for the first few flights and if I decide to go 4S I will probably replace the ESC, I have a 50 amp just sitting here. I will video the maiden and post it here once I get the plane done. I probably won't have it ready for about two more weeks but I definetly plan to fly it before the end of the month.

Thanks again, I'll definetly use some extreme tape on it.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #114
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Smile

Shaweet
Good luck and oh yea, WARNING WARNING Dont drink coffee prior to flying this plane. In some cases may cause extreme excitement meanwhile your right leg may shake uncontrolably Water or Pepsi will be fine however.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #115
zerodrag

Mine is also still stock and using nanotech 2200 3S packs pushed as far forward in compartment as possible, COG spot on. I hand launch at full throttle with no problems at all, the only unsucessful launch was on its maiden when I tried only 3/4 throttle and learnt the hard way. Bent the nose and snapped the plastic cone off, I have since straightend and glued it back on but left the plastic pointed nose off and instead rounded the EPO. As I found that having a shape point gave it the tendancy to dig into the ground on landing. Also packing tape underheath and around the nose for strength.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #116
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Cool Zero,
Glad to hear some more folks here on Wattflyer are enjoying this plane. I am wondering how you hand toss yours. I can not seem to make it took the controls in time to keep her from going straight into the ground. However I can hand toss it with my left hand if there is plenty of wind. I have been contemplating a catapult and have been looking into building a copy of the jettapult. Had been afraid of the hook thing being in the wrong place. Last night I doinked her pretty hard because I made an overcorrection so no have little to no excuse to build the catapult after fixing her up.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #117
zerodrag

hi fishbonez, I am right handed and so throw with the right at an angle of about 40 degrees with full throttle. She does drop slightly and pull to the left but I always seem to manage to get to the sticks in time to correct it without any mishaps. I don't throw it that hard either. I have the elevator at neutral position but was thinking of setting up a toggle switch on my Turnigy transmitter to give it some up trim for launching. I also thought about a catepult but don't think I could be bothered lugging it to the field. Maybe luck is on my side as the only mishap was on my maiden and only because I took someones elses advise and did not give it full throttle.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #118
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I have always done the exact same thing but Iam just to slow to the controls I think. I have not tried left handed in a while may give that another shot after my repair weekend

Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #119
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Love this "ole gal"

Boy do I love this plane!!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #120
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Love this "ole gal"

Boy do I love this Plane!!!
I have not hand tossed her buy myself in a long time and today I had noone available to hand toss her for me. The wind was blowing at about 10-15mph and I decided it was time to give her a good toss myself. I have to toss her with my left hand so I can have my hand on the right stick to adjust for any crazy throw I may give. I think she smilled at me as she came around down wind doing about 80mph saying I am back and ready for some more rolls, verticles and flips.
Grate fun!!

Top Spin did you get your Stinger up? Would love to hear what you think good or bad

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #121
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Today I attempted to put a 4s 1000mah battery in the Stinger. Unfortunatly had to abort it seemed the ESC would shut down the motor at random moments. Tried gradual climb to WOT and at 1/2 throttle shut down. The ESC is a 30amp capable of 3s and 4s, Boy did it want to just take out of the hand though. I wonder if a watt meter would give me an indicator of what was going on? Thoughts any one?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #122
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Put a 40 amp esc in it and fly. If it is too much for the motor, it will just burn a winding or two. If it is too much for the esc, you will have a spectacular flaming edf falling from the sky. The latter seems much cooler, to me!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #123
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Put a 40 amp esc in it and fly. If it is too much for the motor, it will just burn a winding or two. If it is too much for the esc, you will have a spectacular flaming edf falling from the sky. The latter seems much cooler, to me!
LOL well truthfully that was kinda what I was thinking. I decided it was worth the risk. I thought the motor would not be able to take it but was wondering was it the motor causing the shutoff or the ESC? Could there be to many volts? Just did not want a random shutdown while in flight.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #124
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I was mistaken It is a Eflite 40amp Lite ESC capapble 3 or 4s from recomendation from another user on another forumn,flitetest, I attempted to adjust the timing on the ESC programing but ws not successful however I got it to advance to 3/4 throttle. I am a bit confused as to how to know if the progrmming you have made has been saved and how to exit out of programming mode. Any help would be appreciated

Attached Files
File Type: pdf EFL40ALiteBrushlessESCInstSheet.pdf (138.9 KB, 56 views) A copy of the ESCs manual

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #125
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Doing a bit of research and I am thinking that the motor I have a freewing 4300kv Brushless Outrunner may not be able to handle 4s. Possibly the magic smoke Teach would love to see however I am not interested in smoking this little gem yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 4s EDF motor for a 64mm price? Well let me rephrase that one that does not cost more than the plane. IE Cyclone holy cow they are pricey LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets