Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #151
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I ran one of my 64mm EDF's just to get some numbers. Since the KV and motor size are a bit different this should not be representative of the Stinger. I used an 1800mah 3S 40C battery and a Thunderbird 36 ESC.

Using Nigels formula I get:

X=1.8
Y=33 (amps)

X/Y=.0545 * 60=3.27 minutes (Z) at WOT and .65*Z=2.1 minutes WOT.

Since I don't fly wide open all the time I expect this number should be somewhere around 3 minutes using an 1800mah 3S 40C battery. Not bad at all and with 4S possibly longer since I should be able to throttle back a good bit more and still fly at good speed.
Interesting Top...
I wonder why 3.27 at WOT on 3s because I know I fly longer than that at WOT with my 1800s, which i do most of the time, is just about 5min give or take because that is where I have my timer on my TX. however you did say this was not based on the the Stinger

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #152
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Yeah I used one of my 64mm edf's for another project and they are a little hotter. I plan on running two of them and a 3000 mah battery so it should fly for a while. I'm mounting them on an Air Hogs glider that I had powered with a pusher prop setup. Just a few changes and it will be a twin jet, should be fun.

I don't think I'll get to fly my Stinger until Monday if it rains all day tomorrow so I'm kind of bummed but I plan to wait for a very calm day for the maiden flight. I'm using a 3S 1800 in it for starters and I had to dremel the firewall so I could move the battery an inch and a half forward for balance. I don't like to add lead and prefer more battery to dead weight any day. So if we get a break tomorrow evening I just might fly it.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #153
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I'm using a 3S 1800 in it for starters and I had to dremel the firewall so I could move the battery an inch and a half forward for balance. I don't like to add lead and prefer more battery to dead weight any day. So if we get a break tomorrow evening I just might fly it.
Whoa those must be some long batteries. With my turnigy 1800mah, parkzone 1800 and nanotech 1800, I need to only push right up against the firewall. Cg has always been spot on there. However I can see the benefit of doing so because you might be able to stiffen the front end with foam with the possible unused space if any. Hope the weather clears up for you. Looking forward to reading/hearing your views on this plane.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #154
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey Wallygator!!!
Have not heard from you in a while. How goes your Stinger? More club members purchase any?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #155
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Wow surprised at the "don't like nano tech". My 3s 1800 mah are some of my best batteries. Any how...Nigel thanks for that formula. I am going to refer to that often. Just one dumb question I am assuming LiPo mAh / 1000 = X, means mah divided by 1000 equals X?
Yep .. basically it's converting the mA's to Amps ...

Just wanted to be sure I understood. I am going to go to the LHS and see if they have a watt meter there. I know I can get one in cheaper online but sometimes the LHS helps me out with some of my dumb questions and this how I repay the favor.
Good ...

Nigel and Dahawk you need to get one as well, like yesterday
The 50mm Mini Jets are amazing as well !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #156
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Check out the new 50mm Katana: http://www.hobbyb.com/2012-new-skyan...html?cPath=117

Not to hijack but I love these Jpower Skyangels and am now hooked on the mini prop series. Maidened the Rare Bear Reno racer today. Wow ! It flies laps around my T-45. On 4S, it will easlily surpass 100mph. $58.00- just add 3 9g servos.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #157
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I do like the look of the Stinger ... and it was a difficult choice of that or the T45 ... but in the end price won out.

My next EDF - I want to be the fastest possible stock .. but able to carry large battery etc. This is a difficult act to resolve as I know the Stinger is not so big on battery location. The T45's have larger - but the airframe is bulkier and less sleek for speed.
F16's would initially look the ticket - but again slender, limited battery areas ... unless you go for the larger models.

Let's see ........ maybe a Stinger is on cards - have to look carefully at how to do it ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #158
TopSpin

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I do like the look of the Stinger ... and it was a difficult choice of that or the T45 ... but in the end price won out.

My next EDF - I want to be the fastest possible stock .. but able to carry large battery etc. This is a difficult act to resolve as I know the Stinger is not so big on battery location. The T45's have larger - but the airframe is bulkier and less sleek for speed.
F16's would initially look the ticket - but again slender, limited battery areas ... unless you go for the larger models.

Let's see ........ maybe a Stinger is on cards - have to look carefully at how to do it ...

Nigel
Using my dremel tool I was able to increase the battery compartment on my stinger but at the expense of a little structural integrity. The fix for this is to glue thin CF along the inside which I have not done yet. Anyway, I can fit a 4S 1800 in it an it balances just perfectly. But I see your point, it is not possible to get a 5S or 6S in one.

You might have to go to an F-15 or F-22 to get a larger battery bay but most of those are 70mm and larger. Here is a 64mm F-22 that I will be getting.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001225769

Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #159
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Here's a nice build log for a thrust tube from Gary at Efflux:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...348808&page=87

Think I may try it.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #160
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Here's a nice build log for a thrust tube from Gary at Efflux:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...348808&page=87

Think I may try it.

-Hawk
Hmm Just might try one of those. I also have an extra from a certain EF16 that is being scrapped

Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #161
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Lightbulb OK what does this tell me

Ok I purchased a wattmeter from my LHS hooked it up to the Stinger and these were the results. I ran 2 tests one with 3 cell and one with 4 cell. Both were ran at 1/2 throttle and full throttle and recorded the results. Not sure if I had to test at 1/2 throttle but seemed logical to do so. Please note I have no idea what I am doing with this thing nor do I understand the results so any help one can give I will appreciate it. SO please comment even if you do not fly have a Stinger but you understand electronics.
Ok here goes.
First my current setup:
ESC - Eflite 40amp Lite ESC capapble 3 or 4s
Motor-64mm EDF Fan with a 4300kv Brushless Outrunner
Servos- five 9g servos

Results:
3s 1800mah 15c (parkzone)
no throttle (should be obviouse)
v=12.48
a=.1
watts=1.2
1/2 Throttle
V=unknown
a=7.1
w=84.0
Full throttle
v=11.83 (after powering down)
a=25.5
w=279

4s 1000mah 25-50c (nanotech)
no throttle (should be obviouse)
v=16.76
a=.2
watts=3.3
1/2 Throttle
V=unknown
a=11.8
w=182.5
Full throttle
v=15.09 (after powering down)
a=34.2
w=436.2

So what does this all mean?? Anyone??

Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #162
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

what does it all mean...it means you'll need to research the edf motor in your stinger and see if it can handle 436w and 34amps. i checked hobbylobby for the stinger 64 and theres no mention of 4cell. is this the stock motor? i haven't added edfs to my hanger yet so the guys with more knowlege will educate us both on the stinger.

the watt meter is also telling you that your pushing the esc of 40amp on 4cells close to it's limit....i always over amp the esc for those flights of wot,vertical screaming days...ect..ectby 10 to 20 amps over my wattmeters readings.. i also check my planes with the watt meter mostly just to see if it's set up right ,but with a little math you can determin optimum flight time for your planes. overkill for my 60 size birds are a power 60 eflite using 100amp castle esc's. they can carry the extra weight and also may come to be used with larger motors. the recommended esc for the eflite 60 is 80amp.

i will say this about answering you request for info...i now want to get an edf...lol...and the stinger for $119 is looking pretty good. this has been tempting me since reading nigels thread on his edf's

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #163
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks Stu that was a huge help answered a lot of unknowns for me. Me and electronics are like water and oil, me being the oil, we will flow together for a short moment but eventually I, like oil end up on the bottom going, what just happened LOL
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
what does it all mean...it means you'll need to research the edf motor in your stinger and see if it can handle 436w and 34amps. i checked hobbylobby for the stinger 64 and theres no mention of 4cell. is this the stock motor?
It is the stock motor. From what I can tell it should handle 4S. The duration before it get to hot is unknown and the I have talked with some folks, online, who claim they are running stock motor on 4S and seem to not have any trouble. EDFs as in efficient as they are a voltage chomper so most flights are relatively short so I gather I wont burn up the motor.

the watt meter is also telling you that your pushing the esc of 40amp on 4cells close to it's limit....i always over amp the esc for those flights of wot,vertical screaming days...ect..ectby 10 to 20 amps over my wattmeters readings.. i also check my planes with the watt meter mostly just to see if it's set up right ,but with a little math you can determin optimum flight time for your planes. overkill for my 60 size birds are a power 60 eflite using 100amp castle esc's. they can carry the extra weight and also may come to be used with larger motors. the recommended esc for the eflite 60 is 80amp.
Ahh I see said the blind man. Thanks for putting that into perspective in terms even I could understand. It also brings me to another question. Do you think the C rating on my battery was not enough? Would this explain why it puffed?

I haven't added edfs to my hanger yet so the guys with more knowlege will educate us both on the stinger. i will say this about answering you request for info...i now want to get an edf...lol...and the stinger for $119 is looking pretty good. this has been tempting me since reading nigels thread on his edf's
Oh Stu this is a must have. Edfs for me so far have been like a rollercoaster at a carnival. They look really cool so you have to get on, will scare the crap out of ya while you are on it and being so short the fear does not last long, and then while getting off you cant wait to get back on and do it all over again. I have had 3 EDF the Stinger, of course, F86 "Jolly Roger from hobby-lobby and the Phase 3 Ef16. 2 of the 3 are still flying and just cant stop. The other we will just say ef16 well...We could not get along so I kicked her to the curb A lot of people love that plane and rightly so but I hated it YUCK PATOOIE she had to go

Edit: Oh buy the way while researching I came across this website seems like a great deal to me
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...r-ready-1.html

Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #164
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Fish,

I have an HK Watt meter still sitting in the box. LOL. Have not spent any time with it yet. I get to the field and spend most of my time putzing with mechanical things to get my birds airworthy. Lucky they doen't have to pass FAA inspection.

Surprised you didn't like the EF-16. Mine flies very nice. Hand launches easily and flies away on rails. It does not like tight turns though. Not a speed demon by any stretch but well produced for $79.00. Great manual. Phase 3 gets the manual of the year award.

I do like the Stinger and it's on my ever growing and out of control bucket list.
Still hankering for a aerobatic plane (Yak 54, SBach, Edge) and maybe another scale twin like the Cessna 310.

+1 on Value Hobby. I've good experience with them. Also check out their Aeroatic planes like the Sabre X. Cool Good deal on the F9F Panther(Navy, of course)- $69.00

Stu, for a low risk, low cost venture into the edf world, my favorite to date is the Jpowers 50mm T-45. Have the F-16 version which is faster but also alot more twitchy. Nigel turned me on to the T-45 a while back. Easy flier and very adaptable to performance mods. I'm going to get an 'airframe only' next as mine has seen better days. Cheap from Toysonics and Hobbyb. Efflux also has a some very cool upgrades for all kinds of edf's" 35mm, 50mm, 64mm, 70mm

They now have the Katana which is gorgeous. I might transfer common parts from the F-16.

Too windy to fly right now ut hopefully this later htis afternoon after the Florida - Texas A&M game.

Have a good one !

Hawk

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #165
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hey fish,ya got me on a blown out windy day here in NJ,severe storms predicted so I'll be finishing repairing the tiles in the bathroom that my adult daughter broke weeks ago.....theyer away this weekend so timing is perfect for home repairs and working on the tower hobbies uproar #4.

yes,your c rating is to low on the 3cell and its puffing do to the demand the edf 4300kv is pulling from it,from now on get 25c or higher.depending on application requirements which can also be determined by the watt meter.. i have many 20c zippies that are several years old surviving great from my abuse..and will now only get 25c batts or higher. just remember the weight factor increases also.

example,for my eflite power 60 i run 2 20c 4000mah 3cell batteries in series. if i search around i should be able to buy 2 3cells at a higher c rating that will still fit the custom battery boxs i built in the hog and extra,but i can't just buy the same zippy 4000 with say 40c rating and expect them to fit...bummer,oh well,i still get 8 min flights and have plenty of juice to go around for landings.

oh yeah!!! are you the devil trying to temp me with the value hobby site...........i'm feeling mighty tempted....lol.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #166
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

ah yes,the fish and hawk are tempting me with new toys...lol.

i love the easy hand launches i see guys toss at the field with edf's,they just seem so safe compared to these dirty little prop biters. it's why nigel and i like the bungee system for pusher props. the funjet was only dopplered at 99mph by a friends cell phone app and he says it's faster than that,the many pkj's attemps to doppler prove unreadable by his phone,i may spring for a gps speed recorder from hk. the thing i like about it is the ease to switch planes. i'd love to fly a straight level run for a no wind day to get speeds recorded for all my birds.

Hobbyking Mini GPS Data Logger SKU: 9340000001$71.99 WEIGHT : 35g |

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 193.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	162435

Name:	funjet ultra 196.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	162436

Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #167
TopSpin

OK, I flew the Stinger yesterday and it was great. Unfortunately i just got a new camera and so I only got a couple of seconds of video since i didn't know how to operate the camera. Here is the low pass I was able to catch, my friend and test pilot was flying so I could get some video but I did fly it and it is great. It needs less aileron, about 40% on the DR and more elevator so I will have to move the control rods all the way down and crank up the throw on the radio.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chick-Fil-A 023.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	162502

Name:	Chick-Fil-A 022.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	162503

Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #168
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Using my dremel tool I was able to increase the battery compartment on my stinger but at the expense of a little structural integrity. The fix for this is to glue thin CF along the inside which I have not done yet. Anyway, I can fit a 4S 1800 in it an it balances just perfectly. But I see your point, it is not possible to get a 5S or 6S in one.

You might have to go to an F-15 or F-22 to get a larger battery bay but most of those are 70mm and larger. Here is a 64mm F-22 that I will be getting.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001225769
Personally as an old school balsa basher - I use thin balsa sheet to line a battery area if I enlarge it if I feel it needs strengthening.
Second I do not Dremel it as that removes material. I use a Soldering Iron and MELT the foam to size I need ... that way it still has the foam there but in a strengthened skin form. I tested a scrap piece of foam block .... the original block broke when stressed ... the Soldering iron block with the melted skin formed actually felt as though it took more to break.

There is another way - (50mm jets) that is to move elevator servo and gear out of the factory designed area and move the battery pack back.... I'm going to move my elevator servo back and use 2 small ones at rear ... remove the original servo mount foam and get the larger pack in there ... the original area will then take sponge and Rx.
Nigel

Old 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #169
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Fish ............. now you have the Wattmeter ........ it will be your tool of choice at home, on the field etc. etc.

Your readings .............

Right first - Read VOLTS when UNDER LOAD ... that is FULL throttle. That tells you if the pack is good enough to do the job. You will see the no-load voltage and as you open throttle - it goes down ... it should not go down TOO much ... if it does - then the pack is getting tired. Sorry I cannot give figures - I'm sure someone else can.

Amps ... now here is the kick in the backs**** .... technically a LiPo pack of eg 20C and 2000mAh should be able to deliver 40A ... that is 20C x 2A capacity. But actual reality - the pack will likely puff up under the strain of delivering 40A. So taking the amps shown by the meter ... you then divide by the wanted capacity of pack and this gives you the MINIMUM C rate needed - which you then multiply by 1.5 ... ie a 20C pack calculation - use a 30C pack.
Second the amps tells you how long your pack will last to absolutely ZERO ... ie a 20A draw on a 2000mAh pack will give you 6 mins to zero. 2000 mAh = 2AH ... so 2 / 20 = 0.1 ... 0.1 x 60 = 6 mins. Assume that you want to keep your packs healthy and not completely ruined by fuill discharge - you halve that figure to give FULL throttle run-time. The amps also tell you if you are overloading the motor !

Watts ........... this is the power rating based on Amps x Volts and is a technical figure that really only tells you if you are exceeding rated power of the motor. Most motors will go significantly higher than factory rating. What you watch for is temperature of the motor ...

OK ?

Nigel

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #170
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The 50mm T45 from Jpower .... is a brilliant little machine that is so tolerant of battery size.

I run mine with anything from 1300 3S up to 1800 4S .. with odd days on a 2200 3S. I have 20gr weight at tail to compensate for the heavier batterys ... but to be honest ? I reckon I could remove it.
With a 4S - this little baby comes alive !!

My second T45 has a 5000kv motor in it after I burnt out the stock motor (I really did push it too hard !). The DF unit is the stock with the mount tube shortened to allow a standard Turnigy 2615 5000kv in ... Believe me - even with a 3S in it - this baby rocks. With 4S ... it's WOW !

Go to my Youtube channel "solentlifeuk" ... and see for yourself ..........

Stable, good looking, easy to upgrade ....

Nigel

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #171
TopSpin

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Personally as an old school balsa basher - I use thin balsa sheet to line a battery area if I enlarge it if I feel it needs strengthening.
Second I do not Dremel it as that removes material. I use a Soldering Iron and MELT the foam to size I need ... that way it still has the foam there but in a strengthened skin form. I tested a scrap piece of foam block .... the original block broke when stressed ... the Soldering iron block with the melted skin formed actually felt as though it took more to break.

There is another way - (50mm jets) that is to move elevator servo and gear out of the factory designed area and move the battery pack back.... I'm going to move my elevator servo back and use 2 small ones at rear ... remove the original servo mount foam and get the larger pack in there ... the original area will then take sponge and Rx.
Nigel
I have actually used a soldering gun and aluminum wire bent into the configuration I need to do the same thing but I stll prefer to use thing CF strips when I need additional strutural integrity.

As for the elevator servos I would love to move them, the stinger uses one per side, but I can't imagine where to relocate them to without disturbing the airflow and I would still have the same problem since the maximum throw of the servos is what it is but thatnks for the tip.

John..

Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #172
heliflyer

Friends: (0)

Well, i have returned. Due to many commitments i had to put the second hand stinger on hold. I now have a brand new stinger in blue sitting on my bench. She is all set up and ready to go,hopefully on thursday evening. If i may ask a couple of last minute questions.I am intending to use some 2200 nano techs 25-50c. I have got the cog in the middle of the finger slots,is this ok?Also, what throws would you suggest?
The wind looks to be around 8-10 mph,is this okay for a first attempt. Also,when you mention the extreme tape,is this the same as the reinforced packing tape and do you wrap it around the nose very much?
Sorry to come on and ask a lot of questions but i have only got a couple of days until the maiden. The legs are going wobbly already.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #173
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

this seems to be the lowest price i'v found on the stinger,,,,its just the company thats offering it so low that has a bad rep...

Red Stinger RC EDF Sport Jet ARF
Brand: Freewing

In Stock

| Write Review

On Sale: $69.90
Price: $89

i'm considering hitting the buy now button....,i want a edf that handles better and is faster stock that the jpowers t45. i think whats most apealing is the safe hand launch possible unlike the hk pkj or funjet. plus i figure an upgrade to 4 cell easy as i have several small 4 cells for the hk pkj.

if anyone knows a better price ,please let me know. thanks,stu

Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #174
TopSpin

this seems to be the lowest price i'v found on the stinger,,,,its just the company thats offering it so low that has a bad rep...

Red Stinger RC EDF Sport Jet ARF
Brand: Freewing

In Stock

| Write Review

On Sale: $69.90
Price: $89

i'm considering hitting the buy now button....,i want a edf that handles better and is faster stock that the jpowers t45. i think whats most apealing is the safe hand launch possible unlike the hk pkj or funjet. plus i figure an upgrade to 4 cell easy as i have several small 4 cells for the hk pkj.

if anyone knows a better price ,please let me know. thanks,stu
I have bought stuff from them before. Two things, one use Pay Pal and two, they are in the US so you have certain recourse unlike those Hong Kong pirates.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #175
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
If i may ask a couple of last minute questions.I am intending to use some 2200 nano techs 25-50c. I have got the cog in the middle of the finger slots,is this ok?Also, what throws would you suggest?
That is the cg point but be sure to check cg with the plane inverted. As far a throws go I throw with my left hand, because I'm slow to the stick, from the thrust tube, it can also be thrown from the finger slots. I glue some sand paper in the slots for a little better grip. I have a friend who throws like that and it helps him out.

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
The wind looks to be around 8-10 mph,is this okay for a first attempt. Also,when you mention the extreme tape,is this the same as the reinforced packing tape and do you wrap it around the nose very much?
Sorry to come on and ask a lot of questions but i have only got a couple of days until the maiden. The legs are going wobbly already.
Never to late to ask questions in my book. The Stinger loves wind I use the reinforce packing tape from 3m you can buy a Target or Walmart. I do not know if this is the same as carbon fiber tape but it is sturdy. I wrap the nose twice round with it. The nose always seems to be the first to break.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets