Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #176
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
this seems to be the lowest price i'v found on the stinger,,,,its just the company thats offering it so low that has a bad rep...

Red Stinger RC EDF Sport Jet ARF
Brand: Freewing

In Stock

| Write Review

On Sale: $69.90
Price: $89

i'm considering hitting the buy now button....,i want a edf that handles better and is faster stock that the jpowers t45. i think whats most apealing is the safe hand launch possible unlike the hk pkj or funjet. plus i figure an upgrade to 4 cell easy as i have several small 4 cells for the hk pkj.

if anyone knows a better price ,please let me know. thanks,stu
WOW THAT IS A GREAT PRICE!!! Hmmm do I need a third Stinger? I pulled the trigger on a spare because it was on sale and thought never hurts to have a fresh one waiting in the hanger, but that is the cheapest I have seen yet. Hawk also has urchased from them and has had success but he is only 2 people I know that have had good things to say about BH, I just dont trust them yet. TopSpin has good advice.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #177
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

this seems to be the lowest price i'v found on the stinger,,,,its just the company thats offering it so low that has a bad rep...

Red Stinger RC EDF Sport Jet ARF
Brand: Freewing

In Stock

| Write Review

On Sale: $69.90
Price: $89

i'm considering hitting the buy now button....,i want a edf that handles better and is faster stock that the jpowers t45. i think whats most apealing is the safe hand launch possible unlike the hk pkj or funjet. plus i figure an upgrade to 4 cell easy as i have several small 4 cells for the hk pkj.

if anyone knows a better price ,please let me know. thanks,stu
Stu ... the problem once you start upping the S battery pack ... ie 3 to 4S ... the amps go wild and you find similar mAh size dopesn't cut it anymore.

Even on a 50mm ... a 1800 3S gives about 5 - 6mins ... an 1800 4S cuts to just over 3mins !

The Stinger is known for a small battery compartment and limits even with work the size you can get in there. There are plenty of vids of Stingers at fast speeds - but run-times are SHORT !!

Its same problem we have with the PKJ ....... speed has a high price.

Yes - you can swap out the plastic DF for alloy .. but even then - look at the factory numbers ! NOTHING comes free !!

If you want a real stable machine with a bit more size than the 50mm ....... the Lanyu T45 with 64mm EDF si smaller than it's cousin SAPAC on same fan unit. But LiPo is limited to the 2200 series 3S or similar weight 4S ... Not fast - but a beauty to fly. $29.99 + shipping ex HK (Kit)

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #178
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
....................As far a throws go I throw with my left hand....................
Fish ... I think he's asking what mm or degrees movement on the control surfaces ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #179
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

WOW THAT IS A GREAT PRICE!!! Hmmm do I need a third Stinger? I pulled the trigger on a spare because it was on sale and thought never hurts to have a fresh one waiting in the hanger, but that is the cheapest I have seen yet. Hawk also has urchased from them and has had success but he is only 2 people I know that have had good things to say about BH, I just dont trust them yet. TopSpin has good advice.
I have bought a couple of planes from Banana in fact, I got my Stinger from them and had no trouble. I know they have a reputation for bad service but not as bad as Hobby King and besides if you use Pay Pal you are always covered in the event they don't deliver or if your order is messed up.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #180
heliflyer

Friends: (0)

Thanks for the reply. Solentlife,you were right,i did mean control surface throws.Its still looking good for the maiden tomorrow,fingers crossed.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #181
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

STINGER ON ORDER!!!!! i will soon be an official edf addict along with the rest of you. that puts me in good company,....i also plan on getting this bird upgraded from brushed to brushless,just not sure if i want to spend the dough as this is cheap foam that is like packing foam. still,could be lots of fun searching for info. it is the art-tech su 27 from 4 years ago when i made it my first real perchase into rc for 170.00 bucks and then read the forums on how cheap the hardware is. it will almost certainly crash in stock form.

what would you do with this nigel....lol.....should i mail it to lativia. it does look cool and sounds like a canister vacume cleaner...lol...way under powered for even simple flight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 348.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	162556   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 347.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	162557   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 346.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	162558   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 345.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	162559  

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #182
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
Thanks for the reply. Solentlife,you were right,i did mean control surface throws.Its still looking good for the maiden tomorrow,fingers crossed.
Whoops sorry bout that. My english is about as good as well....I was thinking throw as in throw the ball darn that english language Hiwever I dont mess with the throws at all. All I have done is adjust my Dual Rates. Some would say I have messed with the throw however I have just slowed down my throws so that I dont feel like I am over correcting the plane

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #183
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
STINGER ON ORDER!!!!! i will soon be an official edf addict along with the rest of you. that puts me in good company,....
Great Stu I am excited to see more folks are becoming into what I think is an awesome plane.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #184
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

STINGER ON ORDER!!!!! i will soon be an official edf addict along with the rest of you. that puts me in good company,....i also plan on getting this bird upgraded from brushed to brushless,just not sure if i want to spend the dough as this is cheap foam that is like packing foam. still,could be lots of fun searching for info. it is the art-tech su 27 from 4 years ago when i made it my first real perchase into rc for 170.00 bucks and then read the forums on how cheap the hardware is. it will almost certainly crash in stock form.

what would you do with this nigel....lol.....should i mail it to lativia. it does look cool and sounds like a canister vacume cleaner...lol...way under powered for even simple flight.
SU ... actually a beautiful machine .... If it arrived in latvia ... I would first rip out the DF's and see what I could fit ... probably higher KV motor ... up the cell count from ie 3S to 4S ... move a few items to balancde better ... interconnect ailerons and elevators to give massive control authority ....

The main thing would be to get the power level up even if it means very short run-time. Get it flying then look at how to lengthen the time.

As to buying a Stinger - get it on Stu !! I agree about the packing case foam .. it's like the Meteor ... so take care !! First thing is to see about getting a decent LiPo pack in there ...

You never know - I may join you soon if I don't get another 50mm job ...

Nigel

Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #185
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Stuart, try a pair of these in it. https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224561

They are inexpensive and provide a lot of power. Only problem is you will need to fit either two 3s 1600 mah batteries or one single battery that can provide about 70 amps continuously. I would go with 3000 mah to get reasonable flight time although a 2200 40C or better would run it.

Those fans are currently on back order (they call it pre-order, don't be fooled) but they are definetly worth every penny. I have shopped with Leaders quite a bit and they are very reliable so no issues but use Pay Pal just in case.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #186
heliflyer

Success. .I maidened my Stinger today. Got to the field after work. Wind was around 7mph,blowing from the west.Put the battery in,throttle wide open pushed her forward,straight into the ground. Second attempt,angled the nose slightly up,full throttle and away she went. I let her climb,which she did very rapidly,and started my first turn,fantastic.It was at this point i realised i was flying her. I took her up nice and high,and completed 3 circuits,started to get the feel for her and then came straight down into a low fast pass. I carried on flying her until the timer went off on my transmitter,i set it for five minutes. At this point i brought her into wind ,cut the throttle and ,even if i say so myself,did a perfect landing. I only had one battery with me,a Turnigy 2200 25-50 c 3s. I had a look at the battery and esc and they were only slightly warm,so just to prove to myself it wasnt a lucky flight,i powered her up,a really nice launch,flew a couple of circuits and landed with a nice,very long glide.

I flew it mainly at 2/3rds throttle with just 2 or three wide open passes. On checking the battery,it was showing,1st cell 3.83 second cell 3.84,third cell 3.84. Im not really sure how much more flight time i could have got with this battery but called it a day at that.
I really love this jet,she does get small,very quickly but i had no problems keeping her in sight. I think the red airframe might be better for visibility,so im already thinking,another one will soon be arriving from hobbyking in red.
I will keep you updated on my progress,i think i am addicted.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #187
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

heliflyer,your flight sounds great...now i can't wait for her to arrive so i can get that edf rush,sounds like a really nice flying plane. and i have a whole bunch of small batteries to try that i use for the hkpkj.

every time i watch a video on the stinger it looks bigger in the hand of the launcher than i'm expecting to arrive in the mail. really don't plan on changing anything at first,then maybe just the esc and bump up to 4cells. i'll mount the keychain camera on my hat visor and try to get some flying recorded with it.

one video i watched the pilot tossed his stinger underhand which is how i launch my ep skimmer glider. i of coarse am waitting on bh to ship and used paypal so not to worried about anything with this purchase. just have that little kid christmas feeling waiting for this to arrive, anxious to play with the new toy.... i'm 56 going on my second childhood with these exspensive toys. ever notice that most of the gang in these forums are adults having fun with their toys. must be do to the cost of filling the toy box...lol..hanger,workshop...whatever we like to call it.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #188
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Wahoo way to go heli!! Down goes another victim to the Stinger rush. Great Job!! Heli I think you will find the red one is easier to see in the sky. The black and red shows up nicely. I had a friend who had the blue one and to me it seemed harder to see.

Stu I feel ya that is exactly how I felt when I ordered mine. Now I own a backup as well and at the BH price I may just order a 3rd LOL
My 4s 1800 batteries are due to arrive tomorrow and I cant wait. I want to put my minicam on it. I just hope I remember to hit the timer this time so I can land with out wiping it out.

Oh buy the way while doing some research on the Stinger I came across this blog/ This guy is a man after my own heart. What I would do to get my Stinger thus high
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/l...=12s3tict41r1d

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #189
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Stu ....

I don't know what it is with EDF's ..... but they are ADDICTIVE.

Yes it's true that a pusher prop is more efficient at getting speed, but the scream of an EDF on full chat has for me an attraction that is hard to beat.
Whether it's a T45 ... Stinger ... F16 ... etc. - who cares - it's the RUSH that's the goal. My 64mm T45 is about 80 - 90kph ... but a joy to fly ... the 50mm pushes to over 140kph ... but in terms of SMILE factor ? Both do the biz.

The PKJ frightens me and takes a careful look at wind, weather, flight line ... so many factors becauise of its size and speed. So often it stays in the car not flown. BUT the EDF's come out near every time. (for those unaware - my PKJ is so overpowered with over 1KW power set-up - it's MEAN !! )

Toys ? Yep - I'm 56yrs old and enjoying every moment of RC flying. hankering after a new model !!
Have 3 depron jobs to maiden ....... but still looking at another ARF ...

Nigel

Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #190
heliflyer

Really agree about them being addictive,im having withdrawals today. The weathers looking good for tomorrow,a rare occurrence in the UK. I launched the Stinger by holding the fuse behind the wings,it seems that i got a better grip than using the finger holes.
What flight times do you think i should get using the Turnigy 2200 25-50 packs? I flew with the timer set for five minutes then had another launch,a couple of circuits,then landed. Im waiting for some more packs to arrive from HK.
Also,the reason i got the blue airframe is because they didnt have the red one in stock over here,ive just looked again and they have now got the red one in stock.
Anyway,i will let you know how i get on tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #191
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Really agree about them being addictive,im having withdrawals today. The weathers looking good for tomorrow,a rare occurrence in the UK. I launched the Stinger by holding the fuse behind the wings,it seems that i got a better grip than using the finger holes.
What flight times do you think i should get using the Turnigy 2200 25-50 packs? I flew with the timer set for five minutes then had another launch,a couple of circuits,then landed. Im waiting for some more packs to arrive from HK.
Also,the reason i got the blue airframe is because they didnt have the red one in stock over here,ive just looked again and they have now got the red one in stock.
Anyway,i will let you know how i get on tomorrow.
A standard 4300kv motor on a 64mm fan with a 2200 LiPo 3S is on limits at 5 mins. I think you are lucky to have a good LiPo after flying it again.
The 25-50C as you say says to me Nanotech ................ UGH !!

If you use same but 4S ... expect 3+ mins .............

Nigel

Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #192
heliflyer

Solentlife,why do you say that about nanotech?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #193
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I think it is solentlife personal opinion. I have a lot of Turnigy nanotechs and turnigy batteries and I have had a lot of success with them I also know some folks who love and live by blue-lipos yet I have never had success with them so I think it is just an opinion. However I would trust Nigels opinions he is a very smart and experienced guy.

Today my new 4S batteries arrived and they are currently on the charger. Stu is absolutly right about being a little kid cuz I keep going out to check to see if they are charged so I can test them in my Wattmeter and fly them tomorrow. Ahh the wait LOL

Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #194
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

wooohooo........stinger is on the big brown truck from the west coast heading east,i have the tracking # and it's due here on sept 19th! thats quick compared to hobbyking. i think what makes it so atractive to own is the fact they have come along way from the early days of brushed motors like the su27 i have collecting dust.

i'v read mixed reviews on the nanotechs so my feeling is give the manufacturing time to work out the quality control since they seem fairly new.

i'll stick with zippies as they can take huge abuse and the ones i have are used every weekend for years. still,i'm thinking of treating myself to a complete restock of my most used size batteries for christmas so next years flying the packs will be fresh.also will up the c rating to 30c or more as my batts now are mostly 20c that i run in series and parralel.

last question,how large would i bump up the esc size to use a 1600mah 30c 4cell in the stinger using the stock motor? i have 2 brand new unused 4cell zippies meant for the hkpkj. like nigel,i just don't get motivated like i used to for the pusher jets but will have to maiden pkj#3[or is it #4...lol...sheeeeshi'v lost count]

Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #195
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Talking Alllright

Stu, I am so stoked for ya. I think you are going to have a blast with this plane. The way you and Nijel fly your PKJs you may find this plane to tame for ya but a whole different type of rush. Rollercoaster rush fun

Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #196
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Everyone I fly with has given up wioth nanotechs as great for first few cycles then they just go DOWN DOWN DOWN ... whereas we all have good results with standard LiPo's.
The Nanotech I have .... 3000 4S 25-50C is a waste of air-space ... previous guy only used it a few times in the model he gave me .. I tried it in a SMALLER model and it was worse than a 3S in it ... explains why the F16 he gave me never flew well.

I use standard Blue and Zippy Compacts ... good results with those.

Nigel

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #197
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think it is solentlife personal opinion. I have a lot of Turnigy nanotechs and turnigy batteries and I have had a lot of success with them I also know some folks who love and live by blue-lipos yet I have never had success with them so I think it is just an opinion. However I would trust Nigels opinions he is a very smart and experienced guy.

Today my new 4S batteries arrived and they are currently on the charger. Stu is absolutly right about being a little kid cuz I keep going out to check to see if they are charged so I can test them in my Wattmeter and fly them tomorrow. Ahh the wait LOL
Many thanks for the compliment ... but I'm only a guy who flies a lot ... I learn like everyone else.
I have had bad experience with nano's and good with standard. We're all human and tend to go with what we experience. Others may have good with nano's ... fine.
Stu and others like me push batterys to unheard of limits with the PKJ (Parkjet) ... which tends to show up any poor individual battery .... useless for high-power use as the PKJ but most likely as I have found perfectly OK to use in my lower powered Cessna. I think that is the difference when a pack is being pushed to limits against a pack that is basically cruising around. Again a Personal opinion.

I have 2 old BGY 2300mAh 3S packs that will fly my 450 Heli and my Cessna reasonably as long as I am just sunday flying. Put those same packs in my EDF and it barely flies. Lets take a person who doesn't fly EDF - he would likely say the packs were fine.

I drive Volvo - many people don't .... Life !!

Nigel

Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #198
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

last question,how large would i bump up the esc size to use a 1600mah 30c 4cell in the stinger using the stock motor? i have 2 brand new unused 4cell zippies meant for the hkpkj. like nigel,i just don't get motivated like i used to for the pusher jets but will have to maiden pkj#3[or is it #4...lol...sheeeeshi'v lost count]
My advice is not to go less than 60A when getting intio EDF's of 64mm ... this then allows use of good size packs.
You should also consider that going 4S means the capacity needs increase as well ... a 1800 3S pack is fine but when 4S - it needs 2200 or more for similar run-time.
My T45 on 64mm EDF gets 4 mins on a 3S 2200 ... but only under 3 mins on a 4S ...
It's also a good idea to add a UBEC if going 4S ... the Stinger uses 5 servos and a 4S can do it - but you are pushing ESC BEC to limit working with 4S.

Oh - I haven't lost interest in PKJ .. I wax and wane from one model to another ... next will probably EDF's benched and I fly Biplanes !! The PKJ is a frightening beast and I need to Psych up for it !!

Nigel

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #199
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Stu, I am so stoked for ya. I think you are going to have a blast with this plane. The way you and Nijel fly your PKJs you may find this plane to tame for ya but a whole different type of rush. Rollercoaster rush fun
Different thrill is correct. The PKJ - yes it hits over 200kph regular ... and creates an adrenaline rush that is indescribable.
The 64mm T45 hits barely 90kph and my 50mm T45 with 4S in it hits 140kph ... but BOY do I enjoy them. I call it the SMILE factor .... when I land ... I'm smiling.

I priced up a "Nigel" version of the Stinger ...

5000kv motor
6 blade fan
5 x 9gr servos
60A ESC
5A UBEC
bare frame (red !)

Cost came to about $100 + shipping. The question is what is the real dimensions of the battery space and how large can it be enlarged to ? That is my deciding factor now. If I can get a decent pack in there - maybe I'll go for it ... but a small pack is no interest to me as I want to hit speed limits with it. It has more potential in it's design to hit high speed than the T45.

Nigel
Nigel

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #200
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Man, $69.00 is tempting to join the Stinger club. Have had no problems with BH. Of course, I have not bought what I would consider "high risk" or "high cost" models from them as in: "What's the down side?". On each of my 3 purchases, the shipment arrived within 4-5 days of placing an order. BH sometimes has a free shipping deal to boot. Pretty darn good. After I get my JPowers Katana 50mm going, I might give the Stinger a go just so I can hang out with you guys. I have stayed with smaller planes like these so I can get more of them in my car.

On Lipos's, I have not had any issues with the Nano's yet but I don't think I push them to the max like Nigel and Stu. Many guys in our club, especially the heli guys, swear by the Gens Ace but everytime I go to buy from Nitroplanes, they are sold out.

Can't wait to back to the field after a full week of travel !

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets