Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Langharp

Friends: (0)
Default Sky zone 182 4.2ghz 380 brushed

Fairly new to RCA flying. Bought a 4channel sky zone 182 with a 380 brushed motor and Nimh batt pack. I have a brushless 400 motor and speed controller. I've been doing hobby electronics for 20+ years but never messed w/ planes much. Any advice for converting the 182? Is the stock 380 brushed decent to leave in? Any advice helpful.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Langharp

Question also

Any advice for my first flight with the skyzone ccessna182? Preflight checklist, etc. Will it break into a million bits if I crash it? How do I match the new 400 brushless with the right lipo? What lipo do I need for the 400 motor? Can I run a lipo with the stock 380 brushed? Should I buy a trainer before flying the cessna?
I have never flown, though I am not a 12 year old trying to fly for the first time... i've flown rc helis for years but never a plane.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Hi Langharp. Welcome to Wattflyer. I don't have personal experience with this plane, and none with brushed motor planes. There's a sticky around here regarding sizing power systems for your plane. Here it is:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24238

I'm not nearly experienced enough to tell you for sure if what you chose is right for your plane. I can tell you that if you really want to be successful doing something like this, you should invest in a wattmeter. Using that, you can be absolutely sure you're not overtaxing your system and risk burning something up and/or wreck your plane.

Have you searched reviews on the plane, or searched many other forums for peoples personal experiences with this plane? What kind of heli flying have you done? If you're doing 3D stunt flying, you should only need to learn about the basics of airplane flight. If you've been flying mall kiosk 3 channel heli's around your living room, it may be another story. That's the problem with the internet.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Langharp

Default 182 cessna skyzone as learner

No kiosk helis... a nice electric for outdoor flying before the stable multi rotors came along... but that was 10 years ago.... not stunt flying, im afraid. My backbround is in chemical analysis equipment: mass spectrometers and the like. Built high power fm transmitters for a while, now just tinker with electronics. I bought a parkzone j3 cub years ago and after trashing it due to inexperience I built a balsa j3 cub with a futaba setup from scratch that I never flew. It takes balls to fly a baby you've spent months on. My balls were small then. After a recent surgery my balls grew. I am physically handicapped since my 20's but I long to fly. I bought a skyzone 182 with brushed 380 and 4 channel tx this xmas, and after reading a bit went back and bought a j3 cub micro rtf from parkzone (a smaller version of the one I trashed 10 years ago). I am not in a club yet due to problems with transportation, ect. But want to teach myself using the micro cub. Any advice or comments?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I would suggest you flu it stock first.

search for a thread, Things to check on an RTF for preflight advice.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners