Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Dean in Milwaukee

Friends: (0)
Default Parkzone Corsair micro, problems, fixes.

I bought the Parkzone Corsair micro in part to my excellent experience with their Micro t-28, and in part because its a Corsair. I've got a " thing " for Corsairs.
I had two problems with it however.
The first was power, and was due to the stock beautiful scale prop. While it takes off ok, top speed is limited and it has very little vertical making even nice round loops hard to accomplish. The solution was easy, swap on the t-28 prop. The only downside is it loses some of the good looks the stock prop provides. Heres a pic with the two blader.

Second problem was more serious. Even with a 160 sized battery pushed all the way forward, it was still tail heavy. While flyable, it made smooth landings almost impossible. The plane will pitch up on final flair, bounce, and 1/2 the time wind up on its back. The solution was to remove some foam to allow the battery to go further forward.
Now the plane is fun to fly, with flight characteristics very much like the excellent handling t-28, plus, its a Corsair.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
billy whiz
born again (foam) flyer..

Club: A.M.A.

I thought I would add my experiences with the PZ micro F4U as a relative newbie!
Bought it RTF from LHS in Encinitas Ca because I figured it'd be one way to re-familiarise myself with flying after a 25 year 'rest'.. OK I know.. there are better trainers - lol..
I figured the super light weight would mean minimum damage practising over grass, I had limited success with an 800mm warbird mainly as every hard 'landing' broke either a wing or the prop..
Enough preamble: I have flown the micro Corsair maybe 15 or 20 flights now & found it hard to kill.
Ten out of ten for design because it exhibits excellent flying manners if flown with respect. It is also very tough - cracked the wings at the roots a couple times - continued to fly though (fixed later back home) and every flight with this bird has been a useful learning experience.. I even launched it with about 5 degrees of twist in one wing after a prang as I missed that the crack was dislocated! She flew around in left hand circles unless I hauled on opposite aileron & I still managed to land her softly - hey not that I'm any great shakes as a pilot yet.. I quickly relearnt to fly figure 8 patterns and found landing was as easy as throttle back to about 1/4 - roughly get some down elevator on and steer her in, releasing the down input to flair. I have all the settings stock on a 150 lipo - tried extra nose weight once but that killed the climb rate. She climbs on approx 60% throttle from a light toss. Trimming was interesting when you are as rusty as f#*k - mainly it was adjusting the CG + a touch of right ail and a dab of right rudder.
She flies like she's a bit tail heavy but you get used to that feeling because the responsive-ness gets you out of trouble - I still use low rates on the stock ''toy'' tx.
One flight I got downwind a bit far (we're talking 3 mph winds here) - on a low throttle for some reason: maybe I was flying an approach (??) - she stalled - hit the right stick - she stalled a second time - remembered to add throttle - caught her this time and brought her in for a soft landing.. No hint of a tip stall at all, which left me in wonderment long after my lipos were spent.
On another occasion I landed into a random rock and the prop (stock 3 blader) was bent back into the cowling.. I expected to need a new one but I tried rebending it (both in pitch & angle) - it took the readjustment and has worked great since the 'repair' wow!
Excuse me if this isn't interesting - hey just wanted to add a slightly different perspective on a familiar model.. Would not hesitate to try another PZ design - oh & btw I don't work for them!! Unless they needed a real ham-fist to crash test their stuff! :-)
Anyone else found micros good for training on..?

The shinier the suit - the dirtier the job..
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

So I need to alter the battery compartment...sounds reasonable. I just got mine day before yesterday, and first calm one I get, it's goin' up. I'll try it completely stock first, see how she flies, and go from there.

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Gizzmo0815
3D Creep

Hopefully I'm not out of line with an additional power question for the micro F4U. I had a little bit of a crash the other day on landing (likely due to the tail being a little heavy) so it came in nose first from about 2 feet up. It flies just fine still but I'm now having a problem with the motor. It seems that when I put my throttle at about 2/3 the motor isn't running smoothly...what I hear is a slight pulsing as if I were throttling up and down slightly, so it doesn't run smooth. Also after only about 2-3 minutes if I put the throttle up to full the motor cuts out completely (almost as if I've hit the LVC) but the battery isn't nearly run down yet. I've tested the batty with a multimeter and it seems to be just fine, so I'm wondering what's causing the motor to have these issues. The only thing I can think is that the prop shaft is bent and the motor is working too hard? Does that sound possible? I've looked closely and the shaft doesn't seem wobbly. I did notice though that the prob doesn't sit completely straight forward because the gearbox is tilted slightly to the right. But I figured that was intentional.

So yeah I know I listed out 4 different things theaters but I'm having trouble diagnosing what is causing the erratic motor behavior. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Models I've Owned:
Accipitor Badius (Mistake), Music Bubble (Flew Awesome, Looked Ridiculous), A long forgotten 3D Plane that was my first brushless/lipo monster, Superfly, Generic Scale "Zero", Parkzone Typhoon (Flies Awesome)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
swimmer

Friends: (2)

You've most likely ruined the motor nosing it in. Did the same thing to my PoleCat and had the same pulsing and what appeared to be a LVC issue. Even thought my batteries were going bad. Replaced the motor and have not had these problems since. I suspect the tiny little brushes these things have in them have been damaged by the shaft pressing aft in the motor. Most Corsairs are tail heavy and moving the battery all the way forward does not get the CG in the correct place. Still tail heavy. Even modifying the slot to move the battery more forward won't do it. I've read where some are taping a dime onto the cowling to get it to minimally fly. Mine was extremely tail heavy. Power was anemic even with a more powerful brushed motor and 5030 prop. I got mine to fly ok but it was still mediocre at best. So, I installed a Hobbyking AP05 2S brushless motor, 5030 GWS prop, switched the AR6400 receiver to brushless mode, installed a 6 amp ESC and am using two Hyperion 240 batteries in series to make 7.4 volts. Now, the Corsair rocks! It is very powerful and fast. The minimal added weight causes landing speed to be a little faster but it is worth it. I can fly inside (double basketball court) or outside and really crank it up. Aerobatics are a breeze.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes