Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
tchilds

Friends: (0)
Default new pilot, used mSR will not hover, exponential TBE

Well I found a few heli's on craigslist and went with the mSR for $100, came with extra tail assembly, rotors, motors, extra board, etc etc. He said "they" kept sending him stuff. Didn't think to ask why...

It doesn't seem to fly like the videos I have seen on youtube or the reviews people have posted. When it takes off it swings back and forth, takes about 10 -20 seconds with no input to go from several feet to 20 foot diameter toilet bowl. If I correct it will fly forward, VERY FAST.

I've gone over everything suggested already for TBE but I just wanted to make sure this is TBE. Nobody else seems to be describing HUGE circles when they talk about TBE. It basically grows exponentially until its just completely unctrollable. I can keep it in a steady hover for about five seconds before I have to land it because the 20 foot circles are a bit much to handle at ~15mph for a rookie.

I've gotten really good at controlled crashes but that's about it so far... 50 flights under my belt at this time. I can basically fly it in 20 foot circles like its attached to a string in one direction. That's all it can do w/out going NUTZ. Forget about hovering.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
tchilds

I just wanted to add, with zero cyclic input it is a giant toilet bowl effect but if I constantly use the throttle and turn it, its more like a pendulum effect while it flys forward until it stalls then bails backwards as I turn it 180* and swoop down again.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
WingingIt74

Friends: (2)

First things I would start off would be to check the swash plate and make sure it's together, comes with a "Red" alignment tool. Second I'd check the play in the main shaft, make sure there is very little play, as the main gear will slide on the shaft. Third, I may change the tail motor for a new one. If none of those fix it, it may be a board issue.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are close to St. Louis, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
tchilds

Sorry will fix my profile. You know how it is with us first timers lol.

I stopped by the shop but the guy basically told me 'its NEVER the machine's fault'' which is quite contrary to what I've been reading. I did all the pre flight checks per manual, setup everything except rebinding the transmitter. Took apart the whole rotor head assembly down to the frame, rebuilt and cleaned per DIY instructions from several forums/videos.

I guess I'll have to post a video since I lack the knowledge to describe what is happening at this point. I will get a decent iphone video up and hopefully ya'll can help.

The local shop charges $15 to trim a helicopter for me but I'm terrified he won't tell me it isn't flying right based on my experience with him so far. If I trim the cyclic all the way back or anywhere in between it still pitches forward and takes off like a bastard that I am forced to fly in a VERY fast circle, bailing out with 180's and throttle blips when it nears the walls. There is no hovering, just very fast forward flight that I am no where near capable of dealing with.

I will have to rebuild the rotor head etc etc and replace the tail motor/boom to see what happens. I have brand new extra parts for this and the board, will see what happens... Will attempt to use what I have first.

I still need to figure out how to set up the transmitter. If anyone could help me with simple instructions for the mSR transmitter binding, as I have found the manual doesn't serve my needs 100% thus far, please do. If the manual is sufficient in doing this then that is fine too. Any advice would be great!

When I cycle the servo's, one moves less than the other. Is it normal for the left right to move more than the front/back pitch? Everything seems to work per the manual suggests thus far except the hovering w/out mega cyclic inputs and pro skills.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
tchilds

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 View Post
First things I would start off would be to check the swash plate and make sure it's together, comes with a "Red" alignment tool. Second I'd check the play in the main shaft, make sure there is very little play, as the main gear will slide on the shaft. Third, I may change the tail motor for a new one. If none of those fix it, it may be a board issue.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are close to St. Louis, I'd be happy to look at it for you.
Virtually no play in main shaft, maybe have binding in the rotor head not really sure at this point. When I flick it around it does bounce up and down a few times but I'm not 100% sure it is moving as intended through the full movement. The swashplate seemed fine.

I will have to tear this thing down and build back up 100% tonight. I already found a screw stuck to the motor case, maybe the board shorted out at some point. Sometimes when I cut throttle all the way after a crash at low batteries it flops around on floor a second or two before cutting power. A couple times it refused to cut power lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
tchilds

Will rebuild tonight, try paper fix, dif board, rebinding, etc and post back tomorz with video if all else fails.

Was just hoping for quick fix.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
tchilds

Should the flybar move freely in all directions through full motion or does it normally bind a tiny tiny bit to one side, at extreme travel.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
WingingIt74

I'll look at mine this evening when I get home.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

tail motor wires have two wraps around a post. spindle saft in the head not bent. radio that it is bound to in aircraft mode not heli(something about the smaller ones don't like the heli mode).

swash plate is together.. it mostly sounds like it is in the head.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
tchilds

I don't mind buying extra parts. This thing is flying so horrible I'm thinking about just buying a new mSR and keeping this old one for parts and the controller. I had a guy that owns an SR attempt to trim it today. He said he's never seen an mSR fly like mine before and kinda just told me good luck.

I've tuned sailboats for twenty years with sophisticated tools I can only dream of owning in my lifetime, boats tuned down to a fraction of a gram with an over all weight of 360lbs. This helicopter has me stumped beyond any vessel I've ever encountered.

As far as all the above posts go, everything looks like it should. Including the finicky tail motor/boom assembly. Down to the last little linkage w/tool marks facing out nice and polished nothing bent or absolutely destroyed. Yet when I hook it all up the flybar seems to bind but w/my experience I'm lost on that one. It has a lot of movement and bounces around freely but it seems to bounce further on one side than the other. If I torque on it a little I can kinda feel it binding at the last few degrees of extreme travel but it really doesn't seem like it would cause my heli to go NUTZ like it does.

I put everything back in the exact orientation it came off. FYI I found some broken blade clamp assembly part so I guess this whole thing may just be shot from a bad crash. I'm not really down w/spending half the cost of a brand new shiny mSR that flies out of the box. Everything is perfect, no play, no bad angles, no cracks, no nothing. Slight chip in one main rotor blade less than 1mm area. No weird noises, replaced pretty much everything and its still complete junk. Only parts I don't have on hand extra are the main motor and a shaft. As far as I can tell these are fine though!

Over all I've got basically two heli's in parts, three batteries, the sweet 4 dock charger, and most of the extra parts are brand new. The transmitter is pretty slick too. I'll just get a BFE tomorrow and switch my whole rotor head assembly over to see if it causes the new heli to do the same thing. If not then I'll have at least what I paid for in good parts and the transmitter for future use. If it does then I've got another mSR for a head rebuild! Can't really lose lol.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
tchilds

The only thing I haven't tried is airplane mode or whatever. How do I get the stock MLP4DSM to switch modes? It seems to only talk about binding it but does show two modes, so confused on that. I don't know how to switch modes or much about this transmitter other than how to bind it, reverse channels, but no idea if it switches modes. It is in the mode with throttle on the left.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Hi tchilds. This sounds like a frustrating situation. First thing to do when troubleshooting is keep it simple. It's hard to figure out what's going on from your posts. Your posts are confusing from the other end of the internet.

So you got this MSR used. Did it come with the stock transmitter? If so, I'm pretty sure there is no heli or airplane mode, it just works as is. You only need to deal with that if you have a computer radio like a Spektrum Dx6i. And if your heli is responding to the transmitter, the binding is done and you don't have to think about it again. So don't worry about that stuff.

Do you have the manual? If not, download it here:

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...0#quickSupport

Check that the controls respond as in the manual, and whatever else it suggests to inspect.

Check this stuff or let us know if you already did, then we go from there.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
tchilds

Yep pretty much checked all.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Well, OK. Hope all goes well with the new one. That's the danger of buying used RC, I guess. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
WingingIt74

I prefer to buy used RC, that's basically how I learned how to fix helicopters. Bummer about the bad boards. I'd give Horizon tech support a call and see if they can walk you through a few things to determine that it is a bad board for sure.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
tchilds

Still looking for suggestions.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
tchilds

Loving the mSRX.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
tchilds

Okay guys figured out what was wrong. The top double tube piece that the blade grips screw into was stripped. Wow is it better now. After I had the mSR X in my hands the mSR made a lot more sense. It flys like a dream now. I replaced the top piece w/tapping screw through the uppder feathering spindle shaft thing. If that thing isn't ABSOLUTELY perfect these birds fly like crap. I believe it is called the "main rotor hub".

I gave it to a friend and he went all out on it with upgrades and bought a mcpx too already w/break away boom tip upgrade. The mSR had a lot longer flight times than the mSR X. It also was a lot more self correcting. We were flying both birds around back to back and my new mSR X burned out a motor already. I got three replacements and rotate them now with every other battery. I am still looking for a good heatsink to use on these mSR X motors. Rotating them will probably increase the life, just have to be careful not to tear up the main gear one tooth at a time doing this...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters