Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
bbrowncods

Club: Chesapeake Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default New to forum and electric intro

Hey all! Just like so many here I have come back after 30 years of "time off". Raising a family and developing a career is hard work. Anywaze, I learned to fly RC in the early 80's. My first plane was a SIG Komander. I loved that plane! Its demise was a power line. I still have the Airtronics Championship Series radio.

My second plane was/is a CG Super Chipmunk 60. Built it and never flew it. Too scared after the Sig crash. I built a Gentle Lady that bit the dust after the movers put her in the bottom of a wardrobe box. And the last plane I had was a trainer (name escapes me). And I have a CG Eagle 2 in the box that I bought at Goodwill for 20 bucks, 10 years ago.

So, I am into flying but not the liquid fuel. There are to many down sides to nitro and flying.

What do you guys, and gals think about converting the Chippy? She has some cleaning up to do. I'll post pics later.

I bought an RC trainer for the computer, found a local club, and LHS.

Thanks for the great forum. Wish we had this medium in the 80's. It would have been easier.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Welcome! and happy new year, too.

Sounds like you are off to a good start by finding a LHS and club. It's
always good to have people around to help. Of course, we are here to help
too, so come by often and ask away!!!

You should be able to convert most any plane that you flew with nitro to
fly with electric power. Start with your trainer and work up from there.

See ya around.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Flying is easy, the electrics are hard. Expect ~ 6 months of diligent study to start to get a handle on it.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
Hey all! Just like so many here I have come back after 30 years of "time off". Raising a family and developing a career is hard work. Anywaze, I learned to fly RC in the early 80's. My first plane was a SIG Komander. I loved that plane! Its demise was a power line. I still have the Airtronics Championship Series radio.

My second plane was/is a CG Super Chipmunk 60. Built it and never flew it. Too scared after the Sig crash. I built a Gentle Lady that bit the dust after the movers put her in the bottom of a wardrobe box. And the last plane I had was a trainer (name escapes me). And I have a CG Eagle 2 in the box that I bought at Goodwill for 20 bucks, 10 years ago.

So, I am into flying but not the liquid fuel. There are to many down sides to nitro and flying.

What do you guys, and gals think about converting the Chippy? She has some cleaning up to do. I'll post pics later.

I bought an RC trainer for the computer, found a local club, and LHS.

Thanks for the great forum. Wish we had this medium in the 80's. It would have been easier.
I was one of the first in my local club to fly higher powered electrics. Five years later, one of those club members was discussing the fact that electric power has become more suitable for models that are flying with glow engines on the order of 60 size and smaller.

Nowdays it's not hard to come up with an electric power system that can match or exceed the power or flying ability of a glow powered model. A LOT of information on this subject can be found in www.wattflyer.com, you've just got to search it out.

To get a head start, at least for models on the size appropriate for a 70 sized four stroke glow engine, take a look:

Thread on 70 size glow engine conversion to electric
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45222

Hacker 6S2P A123 powered Models
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44686

Voltman Batteries (A123 Supplier in USA)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62177

Battery comparisons
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47965

Measuring Brushless Motor Resistance
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50740

Digital Multimeters, How to use them
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52821

How it works, our Radio Control Systems
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45173

A123 Batteries outlast my lead acid deep cycle battery?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48469

I use the A123 2300 Mah batteries exclusivly in my models. They are heavier, have lower voltage, are larger in physical size, but after four years of flying with them, they don't seem to wear out. Several of my packs have over 300 flights on them, and they have the same exact performance as when they were brand new four years ago. And, they can not catch fire.

Nowdays, you can shop around, and find decent quality LiPo batteries for lower cost than those A123 cells. Again, look through www.wattflyer.com for more info on LiPos.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
bbrowncods

Thanks all! I know I have some learning to do. I will start with the links you have provided.

How is the E-flite 60 motor? The LHS has one for $78.99. It is new but been sitting on the shelf a while. Can't beat the price though.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (13)

it's a great motor,i run it on 6cells in a sig hog bipe at about 8lbs. i use 2 3cells 4000mah zippies in series. it seem to me to need more to equal the 60 size glow,so i have a 4cell 4000mah zippy to try it out on 7cells. its rated up to eightcell. i just need to change the connecto on the 4cell.

for the price ,you should buy it. reg price is $119.[thats what i paid]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hog build pictures 213.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	155928

Name:	hog build pictures 221.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	155929

Name:	hog build pictures 216.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	155930

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Friends: (13)

this was the wattsup meter reading i meant to post....wot bench test on 6cell.......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hog build pictures 218.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	155931

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
bbrowncods

stuart, what size prop are you running?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks all! I know I have some learning to do. I will start with the links you have provided.

How is the E-flite 60 motor? The LHS has one for $78.99. It is new but been sitting on the shelf a while. Can't beat the price though.
Another good link is www.motocalc.com. That is one of those computer software programs that helps predict how your motor will run with a given propeller and battery.

Problem with this software though, its only as good as the information provided by the motor manufacturer. And some motor manufacturer's specs are not even close to the real world.

I've been running Hacker motors, with 8 of them in house. All of them perform to their specifications. My two Hacker A50-12S motors will turn a 14X10 APC-E prop at 7850 RPM on a 6S2P A123 pack, pulling about a kilowatt. http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...50-12S-V2.aspx Quite a bit more $$$$ though.

Also have a Hacker A50-16S motor with a 16X12 prop on a 7S2P A123 pack. That pulls an 8 pound Showtime 50 model straight up, out of sight.

DennyV
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
littleimp

Snap!! My story is virtually the same, coming back into r/c after a long break and my good has it changed. Foam, 2.4 & electric being the best things since sliced bread imo!! I'm a foam convert although I've just bought the jamara BD-5 kit too to keep my hand in. I've also got an acrowot & flair cessna to convert too but I'm having fun with foam at the moment. The stuff is so light that the power system needed is so cheap. Get's expensive with the heavy large balsa models.

The thing I found most shocking was the teenee weenee servos & receivers now, how much tech in such a small box!! As you said this stuff would have been a god send then. I haven't touched nitro this time round, theirs just no need. Have fun and be safe with these high amp setups though!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by littleimp View Post
Snap!! My story is virtually the same, coming back into r/c after a long break and my good has it changed. Foam, 2.4 & electric being the best things since sliced bread imo!! I'm a foam convert although I've just bought the jamara BD-5 kit too to keep my hand in. I've also got an acrowot & flair cessna to convert too but I'm having fun with foam at the moment. The stuff is so light that the power system needed is so cheap. Get's expensive with the heavy large balsa models.

The thing I found most shocking was the teenee weenee servos & receivers now, how much tech in such a small box!! As you said this stuff would have been a god send then. I haven't touched nitro this time round, theirs just no need. Have fun and be safe with these high amp setups though!!
Just came back from our New Years Day club outing with food (lots of food) in our field club house.

Winds on the club's anemometer showed a peak wind of 38 MPH, and five club members flew their foamies in that wind.

These were those 100 MPH foamie units, all flew well, none crashed.
I've got it on video!

Most of the club members have either gone to gasser models, or electric models for planes under perhaps about 55 inch wing span. Electric power for these size models is fairly affordable, and you don't have issues of oil all over your model, vibration shaking everything apart, engines quitting at bad times, and $$$$ fuel costs.

DennyV
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
bbrowncods

Drove out to the local club field today. Nobody out there except a guy with a metal detector. I don't have a plane to fly yet but wanted to make connections. I guess I'll call next time.

I haven't looked at the foamies yet. I obviously under the miss conception that small and light is no fun. Any suggestions?

I got the E-flite 60 for the Chippy. E-flite says a 60 ESC with a 6s 5000mAh and a APC 15x10E.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Drove out to the local club field today. Nobody out there except a guy with a metal detector. I don't have a plane to fly yet but wanted to make connections. I guess I'll call next time.

I haven't looked at the foamies yet. I obviously under the miss conception that small and light is no fun. Any suggestions?

I got the E-flite 60 for the Chippy. E-flite says a 60 ESC with a 6s 5000mAh and a APC 15x10E.

Attached is a photo taken as a still from one of the video clips. Little grainy, but it shows which models were being flown in those high winds.

FYI for the newbies, these things are NOT by any means trainers! This and the other similar models in our club will fly straight up at incredible speeds. They can get out of sight very quickly. You can really have a hard landing with some of these models, and easily put them back together with a bit of epoxy for another day. The members that were flying these little speed demons usually fly 60 and 150 cc gassers. It was WAY to windy to fly giant scale models today, the wind would have picked them off the ground and blown them downwind.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fast Foamie 01-01-2012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	155990

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
conversions , introduction , super chipmunk