Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Video Parking lot
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Video Parking lot Want to show off a video you found or one you are hosting online. Post a link to it here and strut your stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Tips for the cameraman?

Anyone got any good tips for a person who is the cameraman? I stink at it but I enjoy video and am trying to keep the plane in the frame and have been having a real hard time with it. Was wondering if any of you experts had some tips on to keep the plane in the screen?
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Anyone got any good tips for a person who is the cameraman? I stink at it but I enjoy video and am trying to keep the plane in the frame and have been having a real hard time with it. Was wondering if any of you experts had some tips on to keep the plane in the screen?
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez
Depends on the type of camera you have. I've tried to follow models of all sorts from small electrics to full wet turbines with a Canon camera that only had an LCD display for viewing. That, is a lesson in futility. Very difficult to keep the model in the field of view.

Wrote an article in Servo Magazine several years ago that paid for a Canon SX20IS camera. This unit has been replaced with the updated SX30IS and SX40IS models, very similar to the 20IS.

These cameras are not cheap, on the order of $350-$400 or so. But they do allow zooming while in video mode, where most of the less expensive cameras don't allow zooming in video. Guess the zoom motor gets into the sound of the video clip.

Also important, the camera should have a manual focus option. If you are following a model in a clear or overcast sky, and briefly lose the model in the field of view, that camera is going to hunt around in focus, trying to zero in on something. That will ruin the video clip. (The SX20IS camera does have a manual focus feature, and a LOT of other features.)

The Canon SX20 series cameras have a 20X optical zoom which is plenty enough. At 20X, its difficult to keep any model in the field of view.

Yup, lower priced cameras with video options can be used, but IMHO, a camera with a separate eyepiece type of viewfinder is far easier to use while following a high speed model. Again, the SX20IS series camera has both LCD and separate viewfinder for viewing what you are taking photos/videos of. And this camera can shoot in High Definition Video, something very noticeable when showing your stuff directly from the camera to the TV, or by software and burning a DVD of the video clip.

(I've owned a number of different $$$$ digital cameras over the years, so far the SX20IS model outperforms all of them when used for videos of model aircraft.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,126 Times in 2,036 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

CHELLIE to the Rescue Make one of these, it will work with most cameras.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ighlight=rifle

this video was shot using the Rifle camera Holder

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

That's a neat one, Chellie. Only thing is, I'd paint it orange, or wrap it with red/white tape or something, to keep the authorities from freaking out!

I heard it's better to leave the camera focus locked on infinite, that way it's not an issue. I guess as long as it doesn't get too close it's OK.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Chellie!

Happy New Year!
Got to make one of those and try it out. Don't know how I'll operate the camera zoom command while capturing video of a model though.

At 20x optical zoom, its difficult to keep any model, other than a very slow flyer in the field of view. I've got a lot of videos of models from those super fast foamies, to a giant scale "Jenny" with a wing span of some 14 feet. That one is also an electric. And, a lot of wet turbines, big gassers and so on.

It does take a lot of practice to make a useable video of a model.

DennyV
Old 01-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

A method that seems to work for my brother, is to shoot over the top of the cam..especially if you have a LCD view window. Filming through it always seems to be lagged behind. We have a mark (felttip) center on the top of the camera. Keep the plane (s) right on top of that point. Chellie's rifle mount works great..like you said...if your not changing zoom.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
A method that seems to work for my brother, is to shoot over the top of the cam..especially if you have a LCD view window. Filming through it always seems to be lagged behind. We have a mark (felttip) center on the top of the camera. Keep the plane (s) right on top of that point. Chellie's rifle mount works great..like you said...if your not changing zoom.
I've found that works with a camera with the LCD viewer only, and if you don't zoom.

Once you get past perhaps 10X, IMHO you need a camera with an optical eyepiece type viewfinder.

Got to try out Chellies setup though. Problem is, at these magnifications, you almost need a tripod, with some sort of dashpot type of mechanism to reduce the camera shakes.

Those things have been noted on the professional equipment, suspect they are a lot of $$$$ though.

DennyV
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ighlight=rifle

this video was shot using the Rifle camera Holder
WOW Thanks Chellie. Nitro sugested one like this as well. I would have never thought about putting a camera on a fake weapon. Dont know why duh scopes. I will have to try to build something like that. Thats why I love this place
Thanks again guys

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
That's a neat one, Chellie. Only thing is, I'd paint it orange, or wrap it with red/white tape or something, to keep the authorities from freaking out!

I heard it's better to leave the camera focus locked on infinite, that way it's not an issue. I guess as long as it doesn't get too close it's OK.
Yes, paint it Pink or some cute color for sure

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Hi Chellie!

Happy New Year!
Got to make one of those and try it out. Don't know how I'll operate the camera zoom command while capturing video of a model though.

At 20x optical zoom, its difficult to keep any model, other than a very slow flyer in the field of view. I've got a lot of videos of models from those super fast foamies, to a giant scale "Jenny" with a wing span of some 14 feet. That one is also an electric. And, a lot of wet turbines, big gassers and so on.

It does take a lot of practice to make a useable video of a model.
Happy New Years

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
I've found that works with a camera with the LCD viewer only, and if you don't zoom.

Once you get past perhaps 10X, IMHO you need a camera with an optical eyepiece type viewfinder.

Got to try out Chellies setup though. Problem is, at these magnifications, you almost need a tripod, with some sort of dashpot type of mechanism to reduce the camera shakes.

Those things have been noted on the professional equipment, suspect they are a lot of $$$$ though.
I just set the Camera Zoom to 1/4 or 1/3 and shoot the video with a set zoom, works great

WOW Thanks Chellie. Nitro sugested one like this as well. I would have never thought about putting a camera on a fake weapon. Dont know why duh scopes. I will have to try to build something like that. Thats why I love this place
Thanks again guys
its easy to make, Drill some big holes in it to make it Lighter for your better half to use you just aim at a object with the fix sights about 100 feet away and adjust the camera to that same spot, and just use the open sights to follow the aircraft with, its easy and the aircraft is always centered, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

its easy to make, Drill some big holes in it to make it Lighter for your better half to use you just aim at a object with the fix sights about 100 feet away and adjust the camera to that same spot, and just use the open sights to follow the aircraft with, its easy and the aircraft is always centered, Take care and have fun, Chellie
This is a really great idea. I just wonder how to mount my camera that may take some finesse

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

This is a really great idea. I just wonder how to mount my camera that may take some finesse
Most cameras have threads at the bottom to accept a tripod, thats what i use is the female threaded part of the camera with a bolt to screw into the camera, if your camera does not have that, then you may be able to make a flat mount and use some heavy duty velcro to attach the camera to the upper mount with, Hope that helps, Chellie

Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Most cameras have threads at the bottom to accept a tripod, thats what i use is the female threaded part of the camera with a bolt to screw into the camera, if your camera does not have that, then you may be able to make a flat mount and use some heavy duty velcro to attach the camera to the upper mount with, Hope that helps, Chellie
Most cameras that have a tripod threaded hole at the bottom use 1/4 by 20 threads.

My Canon SX100IS and A3300IS cameras use what looks to be plastic threads on that tripod screw mount. My SX20IS camera uses aluminum threads.

FYI, be a little careful if you've got plastic threads on your camera. Might be a good idea to take a run to your local hardware store, and pick up some nylon 1/4-20 bolts for these type cameras.

(That A3300IS camera is brand new for the wife. It's OK for general photos, and takes great pictures. But for anything moving that camera is not the right camera for that type of work. Still a pretty good camera for general work with a cost of about $100)

DennyV
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

This is all very good info this is the camera I currently use and it does have a tripod threads on the bottom they dont appear to be plastc threads so...maybe a trip to the hardware store is in order.

Chellie just out of curiousity I thought I saw a picture of "sights" on yours I assume you remove the "front sight" after lineing up the camera? Sounds like a dumb question but if I dont ask I will always wonder

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	156076

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

This is all very good info this is the camera I currently use and it does have a tripod threads on the bottom they dont appear to be plastc threads so...maybe a trip to the hardware store is in order.

Chellie just out of curiousity I thought I saw a picture of "sights" on yours I assume you remove the "front sight" after lineing up the camera? Sounds like a dumb question but if I dont ask I will always wonder
H'mmm
With that type of camera, another option would be to put a thin strip of velcro, mayby 1/2 inch wide or so, on the front and back of the camera, and in between the velcro strips, the nylon 1/4-20 screw.

Methinks that would be pretty secure, and still readily removeable.

As for the tripod threads, my Canon SX100IS has black threads, that are likely plastic. That camera has been on a tripod many times with no issues. Might be a little different with a "Gun Mount" though, don't know for sure.

The SX20IS threads are obviously aluminum. No question about it.

DennyV
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Cool

H'mmm
With that type of camera, another option would be to put a thin strip of velcro, mayby 1/2 inch wide or so, on the front and back of the camera, and in between the velcro strips, the nylon 1/4-20 screw.

Methinks that would be pretty secure, and still readily removeable.

As for the tripod threads, my Canon SX100IS has black threads, that are likely plastic. That camera has been on a tripod many times with no issues. Might be a little different with a "Gun Mount" though, don't know for sure.

The SX20IS threads are obviously aluminum. No question about it.
Ok I will definitly keep all this in mind. I am not sure I am going to make an exact replica of chellie idea but definitly something similar. I really would like to get some good video of some of the planes I see and wish to do the pilot and the plane justice

Oh my threads on the bottom are silver and I am thinking aluminum

Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Ok I will definitly keep all this in mind. I am not sure I am going to make an exact replica of chellie idea but definitly something similar. I really would like to get some good video of some of the planes I see and wish to do the pilot and the plane justice

Oh my threads on the bottom are silver and I am thinking aluminum
Yeah, probably aluminum. Nice thing about the small pieces of velcro, it will prevent your camera from rotating on the gun mount. And if it rotates, the screw comes loose, and

DennyV
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Talking

Yeah, probably aluminum. Nice thing about the small pieces of velcro, it will prevent your camera from rotating on the gun mount. And if it rotates, the screw comes loose, and
Oh you aint kidding. I would never hear the end of it from my wife. There is no place in this universe I could hide from her fiery if I broke her camera

Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi the Camera sits above the sights, you need the open sites to follow the plane with, Dont remove them yes, use velcro and a screw on the mount, i forgot to mention that, Thank you Dennis it keeps the camera from wanting to rotate, with the open sites fixed on a object make sure the camera is focused on the same object, some nylon zip ties with velcro might help if you dont have threads on the the bottom of the camera, hope that helps, Chellie

Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Oh you aint kidding. I would never hear the end of it from my wife. There is no place in this universe I could hide from her fiery if I broke her camera
LOL
As for my wife, I just bought her a Canon A3300IS to replace a Nikon camera she LOST! And she never left the house with it. (If it ever shows up in my workshop, I'm dead.)

DennyV
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #20
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

LOL
As for my wife, I just bought her a Canon A3300IS to replace a Nikon camera she LOST! And she never left the house with it. (If it ever shows up in my workshop, I'm dead.)
LOL oh yes you are

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Video Parking lot