Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
giacomo.ciani

Friends: (0)
Default Best mini RC helicopter design

Hi guys,

nice to meet you all. I'm here for a little advice...

I'd like to buy a 4-ch helicopter (I already had a 2ch and 3ch ones), possibly in the <$50 range, but I'm a bit confused by the multitude of designs out there. In particular, I have seen:
- single propeller, vertical tale rotor, servos acting on the balancing bar.
- counter rotating main rotors, horizontal tale rotor, side horizontal auxiliary rotors (Avatar style!)
- counter rotating main rotors, horizontal tale rotor (no sure how side motion is actuated)
- counter rotating main rotors, vertical tale rotor, servos on lower blades
- counter rotating main rotors, servos on lower blades, no tale rotor

I have links to examples of all types in this price range, but I can't post them.

Given the price I'm looking for, I don't want to be too picky, but just out of curiosity, do you have any comment/suggestion/experience with pros and cons of the various mechanical designs?

Thanks and... enjoy your flight! :-)

Giacomo
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
charli11

If you only want the price list for models than you have to go for any site who survey the prices for the helicopters. rc helicopter
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)

Wow! so much info, so confusing! Tell you what, buy a fixed wing instead and you'll spend less time repairing and a whole lot more time flying!

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Hi Giacomo - welcome to WattFlyer.
Nowadays, there's a great range of small helicopters on offer. As you said, the choice can be confusing.

Generally speaking, 2-3 channel helis are little more than toys, which can be fun but ultimately, disappointing because of their limited capabilities.
Thumbs up, for wanting something better - and coming to the right place for advice.
Choice of model depends what your goals are? - whether you are hoping to become proficient in flying a more advanced machine, or just want to have fun, flying a cool toy that has better handling characteristics?...
With your <$50 budget, you might struggle to find anything outside the 'toy' category. Looking on the HobbyLobby website (for example), the only helis under $50 are coaxial and 3 channel.

Contra-rotating (co-axial) helis don't need a sideways tail rotor, because the opposing torque of two blade sets is cancelled out.
They have various methods of controlling direction: Some turn (yaw) by varying the speed between the 2 sets of blades - others use a sideways tail motor.
Forward/back motion can be achieved by either tilting a set of blades in that direction, or by using a vertical tail motor to tilt (pitch) nose up/down.
The difference between 3 and 4 channel coaxial, is that with a 4th channel, you'll be able to move sideways.

With coaxial models, stability is good but manoeuverability is limited, so a single-rotor design would be a better long-term choice.
Ironically, coaxial models which by their nature, look silly with 2 sets of blades, are often available with better-looking 'scale' bodies, which is rarely the case with single-rotor models.

A single rotor heli needs a sideways tail rotor, to cancel the torque of main blades. It will also have directional servos, which tilt the main blades in the direction you want to fly (cyclic).
This will require 4 channels: throttle/pitch/roll/yaw. If you are already experienced flying 3-channel coaxial designs, then a small 4-channel single rotor should be a relatively easy upgrade.

If you are likely to crash a lot, then aim for one which offers good spares support. If something breaks, you'll be able to mend it cheaply.
Also, better to choose a smaller model at first, which will be lighter and hopefully more crash-resistant.

My Blade mSR is tiny, stable, fixed-pitch heli - great for flying around the house - very manoeuverable indoors - also capable of taking a few knocks!...
It bounces off walls, ceiling, furniture, (cat - lol) with almost no damage to house or model. I've never broken anything on it but I did wear out a set of blade grips which cost about 3 to replace.
If you are upgrading from a 3 channel, this class of micro heli would be a cheap and fun way to go.
My original mSR isnt so good at flying outdoors - requires a windless day, or it gets blown around.
The later version (mSR-x) might be better at outdoor flying because of the AS3X stabiliser - but I havent tried it myself.

One thing to remember with model helicopters, is that the bigger they are, the more dangerous they can be - treat them with respect and try to get some advice locally, before you try to fly a larger machine.

I could list lots of models but I won't - firstly, you'll probably find more by googling them yourself (there are plenty out there), plus I'm in the UK, so prices/suppliers here will be different.
Whatever you buy, good luck with your flying !

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
benlinus

Well thanks for the information. I have many rc products but i like mostly Rc helicopter named as " Z008 Mini 4ch Radiografische Helicopter RTF met Gyro en USB". I love yo haev flight with it.
Regard's,
Ben Linus,
Click here for more info
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
jabu32
Future Expert

you could get a used Blade mSR for that price. easy to fine spares for also.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters