Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Dean in Milwaukee

Friends: (0)
Default Slowstick with ailerons-blucore

I have had several GWS Slowsticks over the years, and always thought it might be fun to do an aileron version. This one is powered by a retimed gws 400i ( 6.3:1 ratio) with gws 12x8hd prop on HobbyKing 3s2200′s. Lots of power and good flight times as current is only about 8.0 amps.

Having a supply of bluecore fanfold foam from Lowes, and using a stock slowstick wing as a template, I made up what amounts to a stock slowstick wing flattened out.
I put a wood dowel for a spar in the leading edge, and a second one further back near the aileron hinge line in a groove cut into the foam. Hot glue holds it all together. A $3.00 hobby city 9 gram servo drives a simple pushrod linkage to each aileron, and the yellow tape that I covered the wing with also acts as aileron hinges. Slowstick pics.

In the air, the plane seemed to fly just as light as before, with no apparent increase in landing speeds. Aerobatic flight was now fun, with inverted flight easy, the plane not really caring which side was up. There was a problem though. The wooden dowls, while cheap, were too flexable, allowing the wing to twist when the ailerons were used hard, negating most of the ailerons power. This made the roll rate slow. The solution is to use stiff carbon spars instead.
The last thing is the vertical winglet poking up through the wing. They are simple removable press fit that are the same size above and below the wing. I scalloped them at the trailing edge to match the rest of the plane. The reason for them is that with all the stock wings dihedral gone, the rudder barely functioned in the air. The winglets fix this making the rudder fairly strong and allowing manuvers such as wingovers.
The slowstick is quite an old model now, but is probally one of the most commonly modified kits ever. They are still fun, especially when playing with modifications.
Dean
Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
jim lyle

Default slo stick

I like different things being done to the stick. thumbs up
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Dean in Milwaukee

Originally Posted by jim lyle View Post
I like different things being done to the stick. thumbs up
Thanks! I like to think of Slowsticks as a blank canvas. So many possibilties.

Dean
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
dakota2112

My first real RC plane was a 4-channel Slow Stick, with no dihedral. Very stable, yet very maneuverable. Best of both worlds!

This one specifically: http://flyerc.com/SlowStickX_XTrainer.html
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Nice webpage Dean,, That stick looks good as well Ive done a mess of SS mod's-frankinstien's myself and there a HOOT!!bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_094.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	156268   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_695.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	156269  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Dean in Milwaukee

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Nice webpage Dean,, That stick looks good as well Ive done a mess of SS mod's-frankinstien's myself and there a HOOT!!bubsteve

There is something about them that keeps bringing me back. I did one with lights which I got to fly at efest for the lights out event. I think my next one may finally be brushless, not so much for the power, but for the weight savings. My gws eps 400's weigh about 3.5oz. I can do better.

Dean
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by Dean in Milwaukee View Post
There is something about them that keeps bringing me back. I did one with lights which I got to fly at efest for the lights out event. I think my next one may finally be brushless, not so much for the power, but for the weight savings. My gws eps 400's weigh about 3.5oz. I can do better.

Dean
Look at some combos at Head's up RC,,Brushless bring's SS's alive!!bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_134.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	156289  

Monkey Minion'air

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers