Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)
Default Tritle Cessna 310 2nd Time w/retracts

Getting into a build of a second 310 (L-27) only this time I am going all out with retracts, flaps and possibly nav lighting.

I am using Robart mechanical retracts for the mains and some nose gear I had in my parts box, but I wish it where the E-Flite 10-15 size electrics. However, right now the budget won't support yet another purchase. I have these Robart retracts so I thought I would put them in service.

The current C-310 is so light and flies like it could easily handle a few more ounces:

So, here goes....

The nose unit was built on a peice of lite ply with the servo mount so it could operate, be tested and adjusted before installing it:

I got the weird rake angle in by mounting the nose gear assembly high enough to retract it into the fuse even though it is only a 90 degree retract and should be more like 110 degrees.

The bottle of merlot in the upper right was the perfect size for forming the wheel wells:

Dave

"Gravity: Natures way of telling you to watch your airspeed"
Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

This should be great.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

payne, you are a building machine! A Tritle 310, the DC-6 and now another 310. That's a lot of stick cutting! It looks like you are doing your usual superlative job, as well. Watching and learning.

Mark
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
payne9999

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
payne, you are a building machine! A Tritle 310, the DC-6 and now another 310. That's a lot of stick cutting! It looks like you are doing your usual superlative job, as well. Watching and learning.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks, been building stick models since I was 11 or so, it has become a long term habit. I do love the process of building flat assemblies and then developing them into a complex 3D assembly. This kit is really quite easy to build. There is a plane auction and sale coming up at the local club & I am thinking of selling the original C-310 and eventually the DC-6 as well because I definitely want to build the DC-6 with retracts as well. I have some equipment in the garage that allows me to produce my own sheet and strip wood so it is cheap to build another plane when I have blocks of wood around.

It seems like this kit is also easy to convert to retracts. I think the E-Flite ones would be ideal. I am still a little puzzled about how to put in the flaps since they are slat types on the original. I am not sure how to make them flat and thin without them being warpy and not closing flat. They may have to be wedge hinged even though it would not be scale.

This is a 310G or F but I beleive the flaps are the same on the "B" model.

Here are a few more pictures:

Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

The 310 in the picture is an "R" model.
You are correct all the 310's shared the same wings.
I don't know if I posted this in your other build thread but here's a link to a site with a lot of 310 internal information.

http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cessna_310k_01.html

If you need any pictures or parts layouts from the factory parts sheets I have them. Let me know what info you want and I'll be happy to send them to you.

The 310 on that other site was based on my 310K.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
foodstick

Friends: (0)

This is really cool to see, could you refresh my memory on the wingspan? is it around 30 inchs?

I have built quite a few stick and tissues in the past. But looking at the structure brings back that FEATHER touch you have to use to keep from breaking things while building them !

Great project !!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
payne9999

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
The 310 in the picture is an "R" model.
You are correct all the 310's shared the same wings.
I don't know if I posted this in your other build thread but here's a link to a site with a lot of 310 internal information.

http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/cessna_310k_01.html

If you need any pictures or parts layouts from the factory parts sheets I have them. Let me know what info you want and I'll be happy to send them to you.

The 310 on that other site was based on my 310K.
PD1,

Thanks, what do the parts layouts look like? I am interested in building a later version with the rear windows and upswept tanks etc.

I do remember your plane and the website with the CAD models.

The tail structures are complete and ready for covering. The covering is coming on Wednesday so I am finalizing the wing assembly and ailerons to be ready. Also the motor nacelle structures and motor mounts need to be fabricated.

I tested the gear and everything is working but I really need a servo rate gadget to slow the gear servos down. The landing gear literally slams closed.

Foodstick,

It is 55" wingspan and I use paulownia wood for the stringers. Paulownia is about 3-4 times stronger than balsa but only a little heavier.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
park
Will fly for food

Friends: (3)

Nice wood work, looks great!

When I fly alone, I prefer to be by myself.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
payne9999

Received the vac formed parts today from Pat. Cut them out to their approximate shape and I will do some fine adjusting once the wing leading edge is shaped and the entire assembly is final sanded.

Also got the radio and UBEC mounted and tested. The covering is due tomorrow so I have no excuses to not finish the project. I purchased a Dyonisius servo rate reducer for the gear servos to slow them down to a 4 second cycle. Still undecided about adding flaps. The current C-310 slows down pretty nicely.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
buzzltyr

Payne, I'm curious. Pat doesn't include the plastics with the short kit? I thought he usually did. Parkflyerplastics doesn't list them seperately either. Do they need to be ordered seperately from Pat?

Mark
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
payne9999

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
Payne, I'm curious. Pat doesn't include the plastics with the short kit? I thought he usually did. Parkflyerplastics doesn't list them seperately either. Do they need to be ordered seperately from Pat?

Mark
I built my first one from the short kit and flew many flights on it. The second one is built from scratch so I ordered the plastic directly from Pat. I liked this plane so much but I wanted retracts, so I built a second model. I have built hundreds of kits in the last 35 years (free flight rubber, nitro, static etc.) and I can say this is one of the best kits ever made.

Since I like detailed scale planes, I often consider my first plane from a given kit to be like a prototype. After building and flying it a while I think of things I could have done better and things I would like to add. Every Pats Custom kit I have built I have built again a second time. Pats models are the only kits I have ever built that are worthy of a second build, they are just that good. If I ever crashed one bad I would definately rebuild it right away. However they fly so good the only reason that would ever happen is a hardware failure (radio, linkage etc.) or me doing something stupid.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
buzzltyr

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I built my first one from the short kit and flew many flights on it. The second one is built from scratch so I ordered the plastic directly from Pat. I liked this plane so much but I wanted retracts, so I built a second model. I have built hundreds of kits in the last 35 years (free flight rubber, nitro, static etc.) and I can say this is one of the best kits ever made.

Since I like detailed scale planes, I often consider my first plane from a given kit to be like a prototype. After building and flying it a while I think of things I could have done better and things I would like to add. Every Pats Custom kit I have built I have built again a second time. Pats models are the only kits I have ever built that are worthy of a second build, they are just that good. If I ever crashed one bad I would definately rebuild it right away. However they fly so good the only reason that would ever happen is a hardware failure (radio, linkage etc.) or me doing something stupid.
Thanks for the additional information. I've built two of Pat's kits, and they are well designed "stick" builds. At some point I do intend to pick up a 310 kit and build it up. Just too many projects ahead of it right now.

Mark
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
payne9999

Got the gear working and started the covering. I am anxious to get it in the air but the weather here is terrible. No flying for at least 10 more days.

Here is a pic and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUrU...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #14
payne9999

More pics:

I used Ultracote paint and it doesn't match their own covering! Dang it, I will have to mix my own Testors paints:

I want the nose cone flush so I built a sub-former to get it to fit just right:

Ya gotta love Parklite when you can pull out compound curve wrinkles like this:

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Thumbs up

VERY NICE!
Couple of comments.

The Merlot wine seems to have stained your plans in that early photo!

The video was good, very nice cycle time. BUT your left main seems to be missing a wheel, did it stick in the well?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #16
park
Will fly for food

I'm a fan of "stick" airplane models, this is a thread I look forward seeing. Great Job!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
payne9999

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
VERY NICE!
Couple of comments.

The Merlot wine seems to have stained your plans in that early photo!

The video was good, very nice cycle time. BUT your left main seems to be missing a wheel, did it stick in the well?
Originally Posted by park View Post
I'm a fan of "stick" airplane models, this is a thread I look forward seeing. Great Job!

Yep I did spill the wine. Some people say I am missing a wheel, have one oar in the water etc.

Thanks Park, been building stick models since 1965. I have a Pat Tritle B-17 plans set and vac formed parts in the workshop. I need to get the motivation to cut the parts out and get started. My whole goal in flying multi's was to get confident enough to fly a B-17.

Dave

Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
payne9999

The wing is complete and just waiting for the arrival of the nose gear.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #19
payne9999

Getting close to a maiden. Corrected a negative washout issue in one wing panel and prepared the windshield and side windows for painting (window frames):

Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

More pics:

I used Ultracote paint and it doesn't match their own covering! Dang it, I will have to mix my own Testors paints
I've had the same issues with Monokote matching colors. For 7-8 bucks a can, you're not thrilled. You can find a better match, just by hunting through what you have on the shelf. As you said, with enough patience, you can mix up a really good match. Even worse, sometimes their covering doesn't match, from roll to roll.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
payne9999

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I've had the same issues with Monokote matching colors. For 7-8 bucks a can, you're not thrilled. You can find a better match, just by hunting through what you have on the shelf. As you said, with enough patience, you can mix up a really good match. Even worse, sometimes their covering doesn't match, from roll to roll.
Yep, I should never buy "matching" paint again.

Ultracote Midnight blue = 1 bottle of "Blue Angel Blue" (Testors) + 30 Drops of Testors black.

Dave

Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
payne9999

Well, it needs a few more decals and some minor details but as soon as the winds settle down it is ready for maiden.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Yep, I should never buy "matching" paint again.

Ultracote Midnight blue = 1 bottle of "Blue Angel Blue" (Testors) + 30 Drops of Testors black.

Dave
You read my mind. I was just thinking of that, as I did the same thing with Blue Angle Blue, to match a Monokote color. I may have even been able to use it straight out of the can. Been a while, but I remember using it. Come to think of it, I think its on this guy below:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellcat_Guillows.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	156927  
Old 02-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #24
park
Will fly for food

Looks great good luck!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
payne9999

So, it is really windy today so I continue to add details and here it is for now. I just really love these short kits:

Still need to fabricate the fairings for the tail area:

Will be adding a DF antenna to the front cabin area along with nav beacons:

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft