Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)
Default hobby king

I read on here some of you no longer buy from hobby king. I ordered the orange rx and satilite receiver then I read what some of you have gone through. I live in Georgia I order the parts on the 6th of this month they show they have been shipped. Heres my question if you know and have order from them does it take weeks or months to get the stuff from Hobby king? Question 2 before I order has anyone on here used Bananna hobby there the only site I have found props for my mistake of an airplane I bought. Iv'e never had this happen before for my helis I always had good service with the online stores I bought from most of the time 3 or 4 days and my parts would be here. I was trying to shop cheap. I have read good & bad about the plane I bought it's the harbor frieght\ sdm piper cub looks like the same thing as the exceed and it looks like the same plane on Bananna hobby just another name for it so I don't want to put alot of money in this plane but I would like to fly it and try to keep it going till I can save for a better name brand plane that I can get parts for easy.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

I have ordered from Hobby King and I have had no problems with them. Except if you order from the international warehouse expect a long wait at least that has been my experience. I have not had the opportunity to order from the US warehouse for they have not had what I needed in stock. Buy the way if HK is out of stock on something I recommend not ordering it until they do. My understanding that if you order something out of stock at HK you run the risk of never getting it. I did order a yellow receiver and have not had any problems with it. It can be argued whether they are good or not but buyer beware and the ole saying you get what you pay for runs true in this hobby.

As far as Banna Hobby goes I have never ordered from them. Reason being I have not heard good things about them at all. The BBB does not rate them very high either. So I choose not to go throught them at all.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
hangingon

Fishbonez thanks alot I don't know if this plane is worth doing anything with every site I checked doesn't have the props for this plane & all of our LHS have closed down. We have a hobbytown usa over an hour away and I'm not sure they would have what I would need. I wished I would have found this site before I bought the plane. Next time it's going to be Park Zone , Eflite, hanger9 or Hobby zone super cub. Lession learned!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

If you dont mind me asking, what exactly did you purchase?

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Average shipping times right now are 14-21 days from the date of order. They had a big rush before Christmas and are getting caught up. And the end of this month is the Chinese New Year, and they are typically closed for up to a week.

Pat Gagnon
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Voltron

Friends: (2)

I've done a few orders with Hobby King with good results. The main thing you have to be careful of is not to order anything that is out of stock. Out of stock items sometimes takes weeks or months to get back into stock and they do not ship partial orders. If one item is out of stock they hold the complete order.

To solve your prop issue, have you tried matching up your prop with a different brand? All you need to know is the prop diameter, pitch and hole size and as long as you match it the same, you can use any prop. If the prop has an odd sized hole diameter, if you measure the motor shaft you should be able to purchase a prop adapter to be able to use a common brand like GWS or APC. As a matter of fact, the APC props come with adapter bushings to fit different sized prop mounts.

Hope this helps,

Voltron
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
As a matter of fact, the APC props come with adapter bushings to fit different sized prop mounts.
Voltron
Great point however with APC props, I love them by the way, Most of their prop mounts work grat on a standard mount and collet, metric on the other hand can be tricky. I have had to be careful when it cam to Turnigy motors for example and a 3mm shaft no APC prop would fit with a prop saver, until I purchased a collet. Just my .02 cents worth

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Voltron

Here is a link to Prop Adapters and Prop Savers at Heads Up RC. I have placed multiple orders with this guy and he is awesome. Super fast service and delivery. He is located in Florida and I get most of my orders here in New York in about two or three days.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ING/Categories
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Here is a link to Prop Adapters and Prop Savers at Heads Up RC. I have placed multiple orders with this guy and he is awesome. Super fast service and delivery. He is located in Florida and I get most of my orders here in New York in about two or three days.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ING/Categories
So true these folks are awesome and have never heard anything bad about HeadsUpRC. Only good things through out the community

Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
hangingon

Thank you guys so much for the info! Fishbonez it's a sdm\ harbor frieght piper j3 cub 3ch. has an fm tx but the throttle is a slide switch like a trim tab on the right side and on the back of the tx left stick is elev. & right stick is rudder thats why I bought the orange rx so I can ues my DX6i and set it up. The plane seems to be under powered it has a 380 brushed motor. It's the same thing as the Exceed piper j3 cub.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Voltron

Hangingon,

Have you checked the servos in that plane to see if they were compatible with the orange receiver. Some of those Chinese planes had funky four wire servos and are not compatible with anything that is compatible with Spectrum, JR or Futaba.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
Thank you guys so much for the info! Fishbonez it's a sdm\ harbor frieght piper j3 cub 3ch. has an fm tx but the throttle is a slide switch like a trim tab on the right side and on the back of the tx left stick is elev. & right stick is rudder thats why I bought the orange rx so I can ues my DX6i and set it up. The plane seems to be under powered it has a 380 brushed motor. It's the same thing as the Exceed piper j3 cub.
Hmm I wondering if the modes are setup for mode 1??? I ge mode 1 and 2 confused. Americans like throttle and rudder on the left and elevator and aileron control on the right which is mode 2. Other countries do the opposite mode 1. I am unsure of where you live but...from the description you give I tend to think your Tx is setup for mode 1

Ooops I see you are in GA I would verify that you Tx is set to Mode 2.
Lets not forget Im a Newbie as well only been flying since April and I have a lot to learn as well, so definitly listen to all the info you can from the experts here at wattflyer

Old 01-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
hangingon

Voltron didn't check that but if thats the case I got it covered I have 2 e-flite servos I can use.Fishbonez It's just a odd tx with this plane the one sold with the Exceed name is a slide too for throttle but it's on the front left & elev & rudder is the right stick. For me I didn't do well at all trying to fly with the tx I want to fly it but I'm going to wait till I can change it over to fly with the DX6i or I thought about trying my LP5DSM tx. If I don't get my order soon I may pull my recev. out of my heli to be able to try flying it. My only time I flew the plane was also just a few days after having carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand. Thanks again guys!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
Fishbonez thanks alot I don't know if this plane is worth doing anything with every site I checked doesn't have the props for this plane & all of our LHS have closed down. We have a hobbytown usa over an hour away and I'm not sure they would have what I would need. I wished I would have found this site before I bought the plane. Next time it's going to be Park Zone , Eflite, hanger9 or Horizon super cub. Lession learned!!!!

I think you answered your own question here. Before dumping money in the Harbor frieght model you might just be miles ahead todo a Bind & Fly from one of Park Zone or Eflite since your getting a DX6i anyway.

I have found that unless you are scratch building a plane it's best to stay away from the Asian discount guys cause their RTF stuff is too often DOA and costs more than the plane to fix it.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
hangingon

Thanks there Topspin I already have the Dx6i I use it for my helis I'll fly it till it breaks and can't be fixed. I hope I can get enough flites out of it to move up to a 4ch plane.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I've order several things over the last year from HK including Orange and Corona Rx's for my Futaba 6EX . Have not had a problem but I would heed Pat's advice on the Chinese New Year unless you can get what you need from their US Warehouse. Our club President is still waiting on an order from them from last April. He made the mistake of ordering something on back order.

I've also had very good luck with Headsuprc. They are in Florida and Grayson Hobby which of course is in you're home state of Georgia. But you might have to pay sales tax. Have not heard many good things about Banana but since Ive never ordered from them, I cannot personally slam them either. I've seen there flashy site but don't like them telling people an A-10 Warthog EDF is fine for a beginner. I've heard mixed things about Nitroplanes. No middle ground there. People either hate them or love them.

Sometimes your LHS can surprise you. Last summer I bought PZ T-28 from my LHS for the same price as I saw it online. Had to pay the sales tax but not shipping. If I were still buying ARF's, I'd strongly consider doing it that way again, even it meant paying 10-15 bucks more. You can talk face to face with someone knowledgable and if there's a problem, you can take it back to the shop for advice or refund.

Good Luck !

Hawk
Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
hangingon

Thanks Hawk! What I don't get is Hobby King has showed my order has been shipped for a couple of weeks both parts were in stock. As far as the LHS it's about an hour & 1\2 from me and it's a Hobbytown usa and the last time I was there rc helis was 1 small shelf & I dont recall seeing planes. If I wanted a Trax slash I could've filled a pickup truck bed. I do agree about the LHS if you find a good we should support them we had 2 great LHS. Where I had bought my first heli they spent about an hour with me The saleman gave me his home phone# to call and set up a time to visit his house and use his RF sims and to meet with them at their local flying field They would meet every sunday. Anything you could ever want in rc flight they had it covered even line control flight. But they are no longer open. And we had another shop that help me so much with my step up from my cx2 too my mini titan which has closed as well. I'm not putting down the internet store at all I have used them plenty when I could not buy local but you can't get the one on one face to face help. To me thats worth more then the 10 or 20.00 bucks we might save buying on line. But I'm very thankful for great fourms like this one to where we can ask our question and get great input it feels the gap of not having an LHS. Again thanks alot !! Jeff (aka hangingon)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

You must be a long way from Atlanta cause when I lived in Augusta I used to drive to Atlanta hobby, long way but they were a a good outfit.

I have had very good luck with Leaders hobby in Hong Kong and good customer service, way better than HK. Leaders has a large selection of motors, ESC's and servos. I have fount that they have far fewer backorder and out of stock issues than Hobby King Also. Shipping is the same, can't get out of that so if you order something large like an airframe it's going to cost.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
hangingon

Thank you Topspin No I'm not to far out of atlanta I am on the west side but closer to Alabama I would say about 45mins. to six flags if you know where that is 15mins. I'm in Alabama. You gave me a thought I should check for hobby shops in Ala. Thanks man you really helped out more than u know. I don't think I will be ordering anything big from hong kong. I did find 1 called Allisons performance about 40mins or a little less away I'll have to check them out. I belive Atlanta hobby is on the other side of Atlanta from me. I'll look it up and map quest it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
hangingon

My mind is working over time here I'm thinking of selling my cx2 to help fund my new airplane lust I don't fly it very much due to indoor room size & outdoors can't be to windy and thats what the mini titan is for. With the 170.00 for the cx2 & all the upgrades I could've had a real nice plane I would say I have put close to 300.00 out total. I'm not even going to talk about the mini titan cost or crash cost that is.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #21
hangingon

sorry to beat on a dead horse but heres whats going on. When I sign into my HK account it shows my order shipped 1-6-2012 11:30am but their is no tracking # avail. so does this mean it shipped or does it mean it's still in the process of shipping it has the check marks you click on for the status so far it has 4 check marks. I think it's time to pull my spektrum receiver and put it in the plane I'll just mount it with velcro that way I can pull out easy to put back in my heli.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #22
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Did you order from the US warehouse or the international warehouse?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
hangingon

At this point I can't remember! a sign of aging shipping was about 3.00 bucks
Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #24
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

hmm when you log in you should be able to click on your order and it will take you to the actual page of what you ordered and near the top it should say us or international warehouse. The last time i ordered and did not get a tracking number it was because i had it shippped cheapest available and boy did it take a long timde. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. However if it shipped from US warehouse i9t may not take too long

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #25
hangingon

I hate taking my receiver from my heli but I want to try and get this plane in the air It might be short lived if the prop gets broke I have no spare it only came with 2 and when I chopped the left stick it was still full throttle because my brain didn't remember that the throttle was that very very easy to use trim on the back of the tx! and all I did was give it full elevator. A pic is worth a load of laughs

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The strange transmitter 001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	156575   Click image for larger version

Name:	The strange transmitter 002.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	156576   Click image for larger version

Name:	The strange transmitter 003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	156577  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions