Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
BullDog2012

Friends: (1)
Default E-Flite F4 Phantom Jet

I hope this is in the right section.

I've been flying a Stinger 64 Foam Jet and a RC lander 70mm F16 Foamy Jet. They do 70-80mph.

I recently saw this Eflite F4 Jet a few months ago and now its on special for $199. (Original Price was $369)

Obviously it looks like you have to put another $200 in it to complete it. OR perhaps there are some combinations that are not as pricey??

- 6+ channel Transmitter and Receiver radio system
- (6) micro servos + (1) ultra-torque mini servo
- Brushless ducted fan motor
- 80mm ducted fan unit
- 80A brushless ESC
- Minimum 6S 5000mAh 30C Li-Po Battery
- 6S Li-Po compatible charger
Optional retracts can be installed to add to the F-4 scale appearance.

Also how hard is it to fly this F4? I really like it but also realize the fuselage is Composite so its def no foamy in a mishap.

Thanks for your help and guidance.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

$199!!!!??? OK, must not get distracted....

Anyway, I've seen a couple of these in action. I think it's a plane you definitely don't want to skimp on the electronics in it. I would check if there are minimum torque specs for the servos. I can't say how tough it would be to fly, but you'll definitely want a good clear place to fly it, and a nice long runway. I've seen it fly off the hard packed dirt runway at one of the clubs i fly at. It's around 450' long, and can use quite a bit of it, especially if you don't get the landing set up just so. Wish I could help more in the flight qualities, but I don't have one yet. At that price, though... Gotta go search now!

Edit: Just checked Horizon Hobby. Their new low price is $280. Do you mind if I ask where you found it at that price?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
BullDog2012

Friends: (1)

Edit: Just checked Horizon Hobby. Their new low price is $280. Do you mind if I ask where you found it at that price?[/QUOTE]

plus 10% off - 20laborday13 Code

On backorder though

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...=Product-Feeds
Old 09-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I down loaded film from them when I was in the army in the 70's they were an awesome sight
Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Hi BullDog if you can Fly a Stinger 64 Foam Jet and a RC lander 70mm F16 Foamy Jet. They do 70-80mph. you will be able to fly the F4 with no problems, Like Xmech Said, you will need a long runway because of its weight about 7 1/2 lbs, and about a 35" wing Span, you will really need to get it rolling FAST to take off and it will land Hot, (Fast) that may be about the only thing different about this jet and your other jets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bABIngYQd1E

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Score! I hmmed and hawwed all weekend over this, and the backorder part made me decide to not order from A-Main due to bad past experiences(with other vendors). Long story-short, I was able to get one at my LHS for $199!

Now I get to shop for all the other goodies that go into it. I expect to spend a lot more than $200 on all that. Lucky we're getting overtime lately!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Score! I hmmed and hawwed all weekend over this, and the backorder part made me decide to not order from A-Main due to bad past experiences(with other vendors). Long story-short, I was able to get one at my LHS for $199!

Now I get to shop for all the other goodies that go into it. I expect to spend a lot more than $200 on all that. Lucky we're getting overtime lately!
Cool Do a Build thread on it

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
soarrich
Soarrich

Club: JCSF & MMAC
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by BullDog2012 View Post

Also how hard is it to fly this F4?
I've flown two F-4s, they both where very quick in roll. I would start with 50% of the throw you think you need on high rate, and 25% on the low rates for the ailerons. Lots of elevator, like a delta, they where soft on the elevator and touchy on the ailerons. When you fly it remember it's not a Pitts, do big sweeping maneuvers.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Cool Do a Build thread on it
OK. I'll try not to step on this one!

@ Soarich: Were those E-Flite F-4's you flew? Did they have full flying stabs? I'm thinking this one can be sensitive in pitch. Luckily I know a couple of guys who have this plane so I can see what throws they're using.

Back to the OP's subject, have you decided which servos you're getting Bulldog? I haven't even started shopping yet, since I just picked the plane up on my way to work last night. But I did notice Horizon Hobby is out of stock on the DeltaV 80mm fan. I'm gonna go through the RCG thread for this plane and see what alternatives there are anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Not to rush you - but if you get with it... you could have it ready for the Ace-In-The-Hole all electric event in Las Vegas on October 11th - 13th.

You know there will be some nice birds there!!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
soarrich
Soarrich

Club: JCSF & MMAC
Friends: (0)

[QUOTE=xmech2k;922431]

@ Soarich: Were those E-Flite F-4's you flew? Did they have full flying stabs? I'm thinking this one can be sensitive in pitch. Luckily I know a couple of guys who have this plane so I can see what throws they're using.

QUOTE]

Mine is/was,(needs repairing), this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
It has a full flying stab, the other was a little bigger and had stab/elevators seem to make no difference in how they flew.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by BullDog2012 View Post
Also how hard is it to fly this F4? I really like it but also realize the fuselage is Composite so its def no foamy in a mishap
Don't want to scare but you just need to go into this eyes wide open. This is substantially different than a foamy EDF. You must fly it much faster and keep moving in the turns. They roll like a dart - and the wing loading makes them much more demanding of speed management. So everything needs to happen faster for you and the airplane.

Focus initially on just really burning up the sky. Since you are used to fast planes that is perfect for you as it won't be too crazy on those first few flights. DO NOT attempt to land this at the speed you do either of your lightly loaded foamies. That will not be rewarded. Just plan on using some runway (hard surface I hope!) and that is OK.

As you adjust - you can determine how much to slow it down and what it is able to do. Eventually you will get it to slow pretty well but you want to be comfortable when it signals that it is running out of airspeed. Just remember the wing loading on this plane is much greater, so your stall increases a good deal too.

They demand full time piloting attention as well. You will want to really focus while in flight. Keep it close, that means turn often so you can see it well.

Just to show you - this will have a wing loading of over 40oz per square foot. In fact it will be 41.5oz/ft. That is exciting! Cube loading is 24.7 right in the "expert" pilot category.

They are a kick - enjoy! Turn left go fast.

Mike
Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

xmech,

Now here's something to consider: http://youtu.be/FNv0behhnhA
Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Have to get home to see the vid. YouTube blocked at work. (I'm on break!) Is it the turbine one? Heard about it, but haven't seen the vids yet.

But horizon Hobby isn't! Doing some rough math, with all the recommended equipment, this can rack up to a $1,000 plane! Well, it's been a while since I would visibly shake during a maiden! I see there's a 1KW club here. Is there a 1K$ club? Just the recommended servos are $230. But I knew this wasn't going to be cheap going into it.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Just saw the video. Wow! That would be awesome! But, reality sets in: Jetcat P20, $2,800! ot to mention all the other things that would go with it. Maybe my next jet!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

60" HD LED Tv versus Jetcat LOL
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Bulldog, how's your build going? I picked up my servos and retracts today. I went with HS5085MGs for ailerons and rudder, HS85MGs for flaps and nws, and an HS5245MG for the h-stab. Also picked up the E-Flite retracts. Don't know if I mentioned it before, but I already picked up the stock EF fan, motor, and ESC. My club President has one of these and said it will do100+all day stock! And he flies turbines so I think he knows what he's talking about.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Ugh! Trying to start that build thread for Chellie, but I recently (Finally!) upgraded to a smart phone, and when it comes to getting the pictures out of it and into my PC, it's outsmarting me! I worked an hour or more a week ago to get it to work, and now, nothing! I have a book to help, but it's not the 'For Dummies' one. Gotta go get that one....

Anyway, progress is slow. A little a day, and I'm busy getting my other planes ready for our clubs jet rally this weekend, not to mention working overtime to pay for my new toy! So I don't see the F-4 being ready in time. I still have to get flight batteries, decide on a plug type(Hate the EF ones) and decide on a rx battery pack, too. Just the 4 AA pack that I have to find the box for now, or get something else?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Just the 4 AA pack that I have to find the box for now, or get something else?
Nope something else. LiFe pack would be my choice. If you use electric retracts make sure they can handle the 6v+ voltage.

Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #20
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thx Rcers, but I stopped at the hobby shop today, and after a discussion with one of the guys, went with a 10A Castle UBEC after all.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

OK, I figured out that to connect my smarter-than-me-phone to my PC I have to use the white cable, not the black one. Duh! So I got the pics in, and here's the thread: EF F-4 Phantom build.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets