Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #26
Flying Fiz

Friends: (0)
Talking Second flight ever with a Jet

Hi
To give people an idea of how stable this little jet is with the 3 axis stabilisation program, this vid is only my second ever flight with an RC jet.

The weekend before was my first ever flight with a low wing warbird, I had great fun with them but they are now in the repair shop, but this little jet was stronger when I put it in, no damage, as you will see!

http://youtu.be/-yqrfe2gdPs
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Hey guys just curiouse to know how much wind have ou flown thes little buggers in? I am wondering if it can handle 15 mph or stronger and with the altitude being above 6000ft above sea level do you think there is enough air density here for these?

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
zzcutter

Club: propbustes and farview flyers

Got one of these yesterday with two extra batteries and have 8 flights total on them and not impressed. I have all of the eflite micros and would not recomand this one. I give it a 2 out of 10 mainly due to poor battery quality hopfully somebody out there can make a better battery in this size and then maybe I would rate it higher.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

What type of batteries did you use ZZ? Did they not hold a charge? Did they not fit?

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #30
zzcutter

i used the 200mah 2s that came with the mig. I was hoping they would get better after a few cycles but they did not. One battery out of the three was good the other two were not I had to fly with almost full elevator just to get level flight.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #31
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

This plane should be awesome. I had to give quite a lot of down trim so she wouldn't keep climbing on high speed passes, so something must be wrong with yours. I saw on another forum where someones MiG had a defect where there was some tape in the exhaust duct basically blocking half the duct! Look for that or something like it. If not, contact HH. I'm sure they'll have suggestions or make it right. They're among the few RC mfr's that really make good on their products.

Check all the other forums on this jet, they're like 98% raving about this plane, so it's pretty obvious you got one that has some problem with it. (The other 2% are either the tape guy or people who have totally unrealistic expectations of something like this!)

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #32
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Any progress yet, zzcutter?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

+1 ZZ You are the first to say this is not a great plane. I am really interested in your opinion

Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
zzcutter

Well took your advice and found there was a piece of tape obstructing the tube behind the fan . It was used to hold down the servo wire. So removed it and glued the wire down with foam safe CA. Took it out for test flight and lifted off in half the distance it took before but Still not overly impressed with the model. I guess my expections where to high for it's performance. I guess the beast has spoiled me it is the best micro hands down. It has it all performance and agillty and twice as much flight time as the Mig. That being said this is still a cool plane and would diffently benifit from better batteries " are you listening Thunder Power " but I think it will be collecting much more dust then the beast. Just my two cents don't want to offend anyone but you asked. I love all the eflite products they are best just love some more then others keep up the good work . Thanks zz
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by zzcutter View Post
but I think it will be collecting much more dust then the beast. Just my two cents don't want to offend anyone
None taken! We all have our likes and dislikes, or we'd all be flying the exact same plane, driving the same car, etc. It just sounded like something was wrong with the jet you had, and I wanted to try to help. If nothing else, I guarrantee you won't have a problem selling that!

Thanks for the 'closure', and happy flying!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #36
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Agreed no offense taken here. I like to read the good the bad and the ugly about a plane so input either good or bad is appreciated by me

Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
startazz

Friends: (2)

Great little thread as i'm in two minds about this one and after reading these posts i'd say it's leaning more to getting one than not,it will have to go in the wish list though as i've got a couple of planes i want first but once there off it i can see myself with one of these bad boys.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #38
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Startzz
I too want one of these little monsters but it just not quite in the budget yet

Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
startazz

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Startzz
I too want one of these little monsters but it just not quite in the budget yet
Yeah the price is a bit high i suppose but where theres a will theres a way.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
WileECoyote

Club: Alabama Sport Flyers
Friends: (1)
Default Servo Ka Put

A friend has a Mig and flew it several time this weekend and noticed the elevator would lock in full down and would not release till up was commanded. This was the first flights with it. today it has quit alltogether . No movement at all . Has anyone had any one had problems with the micro servos ?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #41
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Not for me - but only 4 flights so far. This little beauty is a TOTAL gem (at least when the servos work!). I did the maiden Saturday in 15+ MPH winds. Here this 2.5oz model with the AS3X handled it without a blink. Remarkable.

Worth every penny IMHO.

I do konw WileECoyote - that Horizon stands behind their stuff. Call support I suspect they will send a new brick to your friend.

Mike
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #42
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I've heard reports of problems over at RCGroups. From what I've read, in these linear servos, I guess there are some kind of electrical slider which gets dirty. Cleaning with contact cleaner can help. I've also read some use isopropyl alcohol to clean the slider, too. Also, the gears are so fine, it just takes a tiny particle or imperfection in the mechanism to bind it, but I think in most reports the cleaning of the wiper/slider is the fix.

Mine hasn't had problems. (Knock on wood!)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #43
jimballs

Maidened mine this weekend. Doesn't seem to have the power of the f-86. Not sure because when i knocked the F-86 out of the tree Saturday, my friend decided to do a bear hug catch of the limb and plane as they came down. Need a wingset now. Pretty sure the GP is faster, but the mig flew very well. I did set it up with D/R+expo, so, I will tweak and give another report.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #44
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by jimballs View Post
Maidened mine this weekend. Doesn't seem to have the power of the f-86. ...Pretty sure the GP is faster, but the mig flew very well. I did set it up with D/R+expo, so, I will tweak and give another report.
I don't have the GP but not sure. I thought that RCG guys were saying the Mig was better in every category but I will go check again.

I can say the Mig is one impressive flying machine. I am getting the Hyperion 240 cells and many report they give it a very nice speed bump. Mine should be here in a couple of days....

Do you have the wheels off?

Mike
Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
WileECoyote

Club: Alabama Sport Flyers
Default H Z

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Not for me - but only 4 flights so far. This little beauty is a TOTAL gem (at least when the servos work!). I did the maiden Saturday in 15+ MPH winds. Here this 2.5oz model with the AS3X handled it without a blink. Remarkable.

Worth every penny IMHO.

I do konw WileECoyote - that Horizon stands behind their stuff. Call support I suspect they will send a new brick to your friend.

Mike
Yes they do stand behind their products very well !He did call and will have a replacement by Thursday . Horizon is very good about doing this !
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
piercethesky

This plane flies quite nicely but overall is pretty darn slow. I guess thats not fair as I compare it to my jpower/skyangel 3s 35mm edfs, but I would still like a bit more speed out of it. Flying characteristics are great, it will come to a crawl and just set itself down on landing which is also nice. Foam is good quality, landing gear is worthless on grass. 4/5 in my book Just wish it was faster!!! I think the "scorching performance" video they released on youtube had me thinking it was going to be a mini speedster. Then being impatient and buying the 35mm edfs tossing in larger escs and making them 3s, may have ruined it for me. Now to get as3x on the jpower.. Hmmmm
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #47
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by piercethesky View Post
This plane flies quite nicely but overall is pretty darn slow.
Odd - Mine sure does not feel slow. I get it - it is not UM Stryker fast I was not expecting that as props are just more efficient but I am not disappointed.

I am gear off and use the Hyperion 240 cells (they are a marked increase over the stock pack).

I am just in love with how well it flies - even in substantial wind. I could not be more pleased.

If you need more - they guys are putting the 3s 180's in for near 60MPH measured. You can't fly full throttle but they say it is good for 80% before the current limiter kicks in. No smoke yet.

YMMV

Mike
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

View Joe 1320's Gallery47

Originally Posted by piercethesky View Post
This plane flies quite nicely but overall is pretty darn slow. I guess thats not fair as I compare it to my jpower/skyangel 3s 35mm edfs, but I would still like a bit more speed out of it.
Yeah, that's kind of an unfair comparison. Jpower 35mm on 3s are pretty quick. You using the 5 blade or 3 blade impeller?

Owner of the Atomic RC Workshop.

The Flying part is easy.... it's the landings that will do you in. :p
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #49
Modelairplane

Club: Airfighterclub Gorinchem

My airplanes:Blast with lichts,Swift2 with lichts,Charter,Fourstar40,Fastcat,Twinstar2, Mini 3dx,Piccolo Fun, Funtana S50,Yak 54 AM http://rcmodelflying.tk
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #50
TopSpin

I picked one of these up at the LHS on Saturday and took it out on Sunday and WoW... That little thing flys great and the stabilization really works. It feels like a much bigger plane even in some fairly breezy conditions.

This little plane is a winner.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chick-Fil-A 021.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	162523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chick-Fil-A 023.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	162524  

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets