Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
silvercity

Friends: (0)
Default Eflite Power 110 harsh start

After posting this question on another forum and receiving no response, I hope someone here can help me.

I have an Eflite Power 110 motor, APC 17x10 Electric prop and am using a Hifei 150amp ESC with 6S Lipo.

When I move the throttle lever forward there is some 'dead' movement before the engine starts. When it does start it does so with a violent jerk which is quite worrying!

The ESC default settings are:

PWM 8 kHz
Soft Start
Soft Cutoff
No Brake
Timing Advance: Auto
Current Limiting: Standard

I have an ESC Program card but I don't want to change anything without some guidance.

Any suggestions? Thank you in anticipation.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Welcome!

Not familiar with your ESC but sometimes the startup software just stinks. That may be the case with yours.

However I would try the other start settings and change timing advance to low and see what you get.

Mike
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
spad

Friends: (0)

I agree: it's most likely a timing issue, and I'd try another setting.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
flying-barely

Club: Barnstormers
Friends: (1)

Change the Soft Start to Normal. Soft start is normally reserved for helis. Re read your instructions and do a throttle calibration - please with the PROPELLER off! That should solve your throttle endpoint adj.
Check with the motor supplier for the Pwm, lots are 8 but some are 12 rate. I don't care for Auto timing much either, try med timing first on a motor this size, and change it only if the motor stutters or squeels anywhere thru the throttle settings. FWIW flying barely
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

+1 on previous post. Most ESC's will auto calibrate end points if you power up with the throttle in the wide open position (it wont start) then when you get a beep close the throttle and wait for the normal arming beep. But do read the instructions because some work differently.. And yes, taking the prop off while programming is good insurance, especially with larger motors.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
flying-barely

Club: Barnstormers
Friends: (1)

I have always done all the programming, esc setup with out a prop installed. Throttle calibration, motor directions, esc settings. Then I install the prop and stand BEHIND the plane. I hold smaller planes by hand, but always tie larger ones down. If I;m using a wattmeter, I secure the plane no matter the size. Never let anyone else stand in front or beside a plane either as its powered up! Never power up larger systems inside your house, take it outside where it belongs.
I'm sure we've all seen some of the pics of hand/arm damage done by propellers. Pretty gruesome for sure. Prop size is really irrelevent, even a little 5" prop spinning at 12000 rpm against your hide will inflict major/maybe even permanent damage.
It almost sounds like a rant, but my concern is for everyones safety.
Another tip to help save hides and equipment. If the ESC has a card/ programmer available, they are usually quite inexpensive and greatly enhance the safety and ease of setting up a new combo. The stick programming has caused more issues than it ever cured IMO. fly-barely

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems