Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
rhyno

Friends: (0)
Default Battery/Charger issue

So I think I did something really dumb and ruined four batteries. I just need my stupidity confirmed. Charged up four mSR batteries, unplugged the charger but left the batteries attached to the charger for about a month. Today I decided to fly the heli and none of the four batteries will fire up the mSR, plugged in the charger to the wall and LED's don't turn on to show they are charging.

My guess is leaving batteries plugged into charger completely drained them to the point of being useless...any comments or suggestions??
Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

If you have a volt meter check each pack for voltage. Be careful not to create a short circuit.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by rhyno View Post
So I think I did something really dumb and ruined four batteries. I just need my stupidity confirmed. Charged up four mSR batteries, unplugged the charger but left the batteries attached to the charger for about a month. Today I decided to fly the heli and none of the four batteries will fire up the mSR, plugged in the charger to the wall and LED's don't turn on to show they are charging.

My guess is leaving batteries plugged into charger completely drained them to the point of being useless...any comments or suggestions??
Do you have access to a wattmeter or similar? If so, connect it between the charger and a "Good" LiPo battery and measure the charge rate. Then disconnect power to your charger, and see if the wattmeter shows a discharge. You may have to reverse the wires on your wattmeter, since the current is now flowing backwards, into the charger.

If you measure any current from the battery to the charger, then you've got your answer. I've checked this reverse current issue on a few chargers. The few I've checked do not allow reverse current to flow without power on the charger. Unfortunately it looks like your results might vary.

If you don't have access to a wattmeter, this thread shows how to use a common digital multimeter for a similar purpose, by modifying a standard servo extension cable. This will allow measuring current more accurately. Those digital meters can be purchased from Harbor Freight, Walmart, just about any place now days. Harbor Freight has some for under $5.00.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52821

Pages 6-8 describes how to make an adaptor for measuring battery current. It takes more time to read this than actually do it. FYI, if you connect this adaptor to your charger, you might need to reverse the banana plugs to show a positive charge rate. That way, when you power down the charger input power, that meter will reverse and show a minus in front of the current display. Note that these meters have a fuse on the 200 milliampere range. If you hit that meter with a one ampere charge rate, it'll blow the fuse. You might want to start off on the 10 amp range.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
rhyno

Thank you, I will give it a try!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
rhyno

I'm running Thunder Power 25C 125mAH 1-cell 3.7V batteries. Tested all four and had voltage readings from 0.99V-1.14V.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Voltage much below 3 volts/cell for any length of time will damage LiPo cells. Most would say to toss them.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters