Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Dean in Milwaukee

Friends: (0)
Default Eflite Taylorcraft parkflyer

When I first saw the Eflite Taylorcraft, I had to have it as I was wanting a scale civilian aircraft, and this parkflyer was good looking!
I planned to use some nice equipement I had including a Kontronic Fun400-36 motor with planetary gearbox. This is a nice strong motor, but was difficult to install as the plane was designed for an outrunner and the mounting was completely wrong. It was also heavier than stock and required a heavier battery as well. This led to a problem balancing and required even more weight in form of lead in the tail to allow it to balance. In flight, it performed ab0ut how you would expect for an overweight but powerful parkflyer. Climb was great, speed was good, mid and low speed handling was terrible. In any sort of lower speed turn, great care had to be used to not have a terminal tip-stall. I had several close calls that I only got out of because I had enough altitude to recover. The excess weight also made the flexable elevator halfs connction a real problem. Due in part to the heavy load placed on it from being an overweight plane, the side of the elevator the servo connected to would move further than the other side, causing a noticable and unwanted roll effect. This was especially disconcerting coming out of a loop and the plane would try to roll out forcing aileron correction. I solved this by epoxying in a heavy stiffening piece of wire connecting both halfs underneath where it doesn’t show much.
While I have had a lot of problems with this plane, most of them were due to my need to make it “better”, and could have been avoided if I just went the stock route.
Dean in Milwaukee
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

Dean..

Thanks for sharing that, I think we all try at times to do things we have maybe had success with in one plane and then you run across one that dosnt like to play out what we want it too. The nice thing was, you tried and were able to get a successful test out of it. Sharing this will help someone else. Now, there will be others who will try something else, and maybe they get something that works. The nature of our hobby. It truely is a beautiful plane. Happy flying!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft