Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool Hobbico has a new line of TX ready planes and the AnyLink Module

Seems Hobbico has introduced a new line of RTF, receiver ready and Transmitter Ready (TX-R) Planes. The really interesting thing is that they have this new AnyLink module that will work with a wide variety of transmitters.

This is something like Horizon Hobby's BnF line of planes, but you don't need to have a Spektrum Radio or module.

Hobbico introduces TX-R and AnyLink.

http://www.tx-ready.com/how-it-works.html

Compatibility chart
http://www.tx-ready.com/anylink-chart.html

The Module Costs about $25 but you can get it Free!
http://www.tx-ready.com/promos/free-anylink.html

The TX-R planes are like Horizon Hobbie’s Bind N Fly line. You can get them RTF with an included radio OR you can use the AnyLink module and fly the TX-R versions. There are receiver ready versions too. Tower already lists 12 TX-R micro and Parkflyer size planes.

The AnyLink module works with a very wide variety of transmitters. And they sell compatible receivers for $30 so you can use the AnyLink system for other planes as well. Pretty cool.

AND they are giving the AnyLink transmitter module away FREE from now till April when you buy a TX-R plane. Cool!!!!!

If your transmitter has a trainer port on it, it is likely the AnyLink module will work with it. Doesn't matter if it is on 72 MHz, 35 MHz, 50 MHz, or 2.4 GHz. The module turns off your RF stage in the radio and it does the transmitting on 2.4 GHz.

Limitations? Looks like a max of 6 channels but that works for most planes. Reliability and range are yet to be proven, so I would not put these receivers in anything large or expensive. So far it seems to be targeted at the small to medium sized electric airplane market.

They have a cute little 3 channel micro biplane that I just may have to get.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Percyflyer posted a link to youtube showing this in action. Very nice I was thinking of buying one of these for those proprietary planes no more installing my rx to fly it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65313
Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Focus

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Percyflyer posted a link to youtube showing this in action. Very nice I was thinking of buying one of these for those proprietary planes no more installing my rx to fly it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65313
I don't really see this as being any different than what other companies are doing.

If someone has a spectrum radio, and a plane that doesn't have a spectrum RX, will they spend $30 on a spectrum RX or this 'any link' RX? Same question goes if they have Walkera or Futaba, or another brand.

Time will tell if this takes off, pardon the pun.

I think this is just a marketing gimmick so folks will get exposure to the airplanes they're selling. If the airplanes are good, with good customer support, then this will be successful.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

The key here is not whether you need a receiver. The key is that the receiver is no longer tied to one brand of radio.

If you have a DX7 and you start adding receivers to your planes, all is good.

Now you want to buy a Futaba 8FG. If you wanted to fly those planes that have the Spektrum receivers using the Futaba you would have to buy all new receivers. But if you use the AnyLink module, you buy a $3 cable for the Futaba and all your planes that have Tactic/Anylink receivers now work with the Futaba too. You could use the DX7 or the Futaba with no changes to the planes.

Next year you want to add a Hitec Aurora 9. No problem. Those planes will work with the Aurora 9 too. No need to change receivers.

This takes us part way back to the days of 72 MHz FM/PPM where pretty much any 72 MHz radio could fly any brand of FM/PPM receiver (as long as the shift was right). It was not even a consideration. I have Futaba radios but I flew Futaba, Hitec and Berg receivers. And the would work fine with Hitec and some JR and Airtronics radios too.

When 2.4 GHz came out you became brand locked. 2.4 works like 72 MHz PCM which was brand specific. Your 72 MHz Futaba PCM receiver only works with a Futaba 72 MHz PCM radio. Can't use a Hitec radio.

AnyLink removes that brand lock on the radio side. Almost any radio can fly those receivers. So, for your 2.4 parkflyers, using Tactic/Anylock receivers gives you brand and model freedom on the radio side.

For my high end gliders I am moving all to FASST. But for my parkies, foamies and smaller planes I could go all Tactic/Anylink and the receivers are half the price of the Spektrum receivers.

In fact, I am thinking of upgrading to a Futaba 8FG next year which is a Futaba FASST 2.4 radio withouta module. So no way to adapt it to Spektrum for BnF. I will have to keep one of my current Futaba 9Cs that has a spektrum module so I can fly my Spekturm stuff. But if I stop buying Spektrum and start buying Anylink then any concern about moving to a new radio goes away.

That is the benefit.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Focus

How often do pilots completely change the brand of their radio? Most of the pilots I know have a favorite radio, and then they just buy receivers to match.

In your case, you prefer futaba transmitters. I guess I see that if you wanted a 'lower cost' alternative than buying futaba receivers, then this is a possible direction.
I see the tx-ready receivers are only about $30 compared to the $50 for spectrum name brand rx, or $60 for fasst.

Will folks invest in a bunch these receivers to replace the current receivers in their fleet?

Gramps mentions:
"Very nice I was thinking of buying one of these for those proprietary planes no more installing my rx to fly it"

There are also some ultra micro planes out there such as the Horizon Hobby park zones, that have the rx built into the same board as the esc. So I don't think this receiver will fit those. So folks would still need a spektrum radio for those.

Also, instead of installing your RX, you'll have to buy and install the proprietary TX-Ready receiver into each plane.

So, I see some benefit, but I'm not drinking the whole pitcher of Kool-Aid.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Todd G

I lke that little bipe, too. Or the corvalis......
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

That's very cool. I actually almost bought that tripe, but it was only available RTF and I didn't want to futz with the crappy stock Tx.

If the LHS got in a TX ready version, I'd own it.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

The only real advantage I can see is for Hobbico. It lets them compete in the "BNF" plane market i.e. they have a chance of selling a few planes to the thousands of people who bought Spektrum gear because they like the Parkzone BNFs. It's amazing how many people think that even having to fit the receiver of their choice is "too much building" .

It also gives them a chance of selling a few Tactic RXs to people who have no intention of ever buying a Tactic TX but I imagine it will only be a few because there's nothing special about the RXs, not even the price.

But I wish them good luck and if the free Anylink module offer ever turns up on this side of the Atlantic I'll probably give it a try .

Steve
Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
HobbyJumper

So, if I understand correctly, if I were to buy the TxR version of the Fokker DR1, instead of including a plane and transmitter the box contains a plane and a free AnyLink unit that I can plug into the trainer port of my Dx6i and away I go. Correct?

Pete
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
So, if I understand correctly, if I were to buy the TxR version of the Fokker DR1, instead of including a plane and transmitter the box contains a plane and a free AnyLink unit that I can plug into the trainer port of my Dx6i and away I go. Correct?
The AnyLink in not in the box.

If you buy a plane before April, they will give you an anylink. Not sure of the mechanics. After that you buy one for $25. You attach it to you DX6i whenever you want to fly one of these planes.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
The only real advantage I can see is for Hobbico. It lets them compete in the "BNF" plane market i.e. they have a chance of selling a few planes to the thousands of people who bought Spektrum gear because they like the Parkzone BNFs. Steve
Correct, only make that people who own Spektrum, Hitec, Futaba or JR radios who would like to fly the TX-R planes.

If you want to to fly BnF you have to buy a Spektrum radio or a module for your Futaba/Hitec Radio. Well this is like the Spektrum module for the Futaba/Hitec radio, only you don't have to have a module based radio to use it. Cost is similar.

But if you don't have a Futaba/Hitec radio that uses a module then you have to by a Spektrum radio. Hobbico does not require you to buy a Hobbico/Attack radio. They let you adapt your radio and it works with a LOT more radios than the Spektrum Module.

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
It's amazing how many people think that even having to fit the receiver of their choice is "too much building" .

It also gives them a chance of selling a few Tactic RXs to people who have no intention of ever buying a Tactic TX but I imagine it will only be a few because there's nothing special about the RXs, not even the price.

But I wish them good luck and if the free Anylink module offer ever turns up on this side of the Atlantic I'll probably give it a try .

Steve
If you look at 72 MHz, this was like signal shift. Futaba/Hitec was negative and Airtronics/JR were positive. You had to make sure your receiver had the right shift for the receiver. If I bought a used plane with a receiver I might have to change it because it didn't match the shift of my radio.

But Hitec and Airtronics would let you change shift so they could fly both kinds of receivers.

Before your radio was one kind of 2.4. Now it can fly two kinds of 2.4.

I my case my Futaba 9C radios can fly 72 MHz (3 channels) Spektrum DSM2, Futaba FASST and if I were to add this, I could fly Anylink SLT too.

I just see this as doing a channel change or a shift change on my radio so I can fly a wider array of receivers.

On the positve side, if I sell my 9Cs and go to a Futaba 8FG, which is no longer module based, I lose my ability to fly Spektrum receivers, but I can bring the Anylink module with me.

Humm, maybe I will use Tactic/Anylink/SLT receivers in my low end stuff instead of Spektrum. If they work and are reliable, they are half the price of the spektrum receivers. That could save me a LOT of money.

If I sold my $60 to $70 spektrum receivers for $40 each and bought $30 Tactic/Anylink/SLT receivers for $30 I would be ahead. And when I move to that new radio I would still be able to fly them where my Spektrum stuff would require receiver changes, or I would have to keep the 9C to fly Spektrum.

Flexibiltiy. I like flexibility.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I have been looking at the Tactic/Anylink systems and they are marked as FHSS.

Futaba's new J radios are also maked FHSS

Think there is any chance that these are cross brand compatible? Someone please give this a try.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Vintauri

Send a message via MSN to Vintauri Send a message via Yahoo to Vintauri
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (2)

I had a chance to test out the Any Link module on a couple flyzone planes. I'll see if I can find a FHSS plane to test as well.

http://www.vintauri.com/tactic-anylink-2-4-module/

Steve
Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

How did the anylink module work? Easy to use?

What kind of radio were you using?

Any problems?

What were you flying?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Vintauri

Send a message via MSN to Vintauri Send a message via Yahoo to Vintauri
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

It was very easy to use. I was running it on the 9503 and a DX7. I had no problems with the link on the Flyzone planes in a gym with 10-15 other guys running all sorts of radios.

In my video I show a Flyzone Playmate and Fokker DR1

Steve
Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Correct me if I'm wrong but, if we put in our own receiver we can fly pretty much any plane we want with our receiver-compatible radio; therefore, this module system is advantageous only when the airplane's receiver has servos/whatnot integral to it (such as Horizon's AS3X system which is, I believe, integral to its receiver board).

So, I bought the little F-86 with its free module to plug into my Spektrum radio and voila, I'm flying. So rather than putting in my own, Spektrum receiver and flying, I'm essentially getting a different transmitter.
Either way, I liked that little jet and jumped!
Another alternative: Perhaps this "module" is to control the mind of the pilot rather than the plane.....It's a conspiracy.

...do not let the sun go down on your anger
--Paul, in Ephesians, ch. 4
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by Sakai's Freedom Flight View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but, if we put in our own receiver we can fly pretty much any plane we want with our receiver-compatible radio; therefore, this module system is advantageous only when the airplane's receiver has servos/whatnot integral to it (such as Horizon's AS3X system which is, I believe, integral to its receiver board).

snip....
The anylink module is not restricted to just the integrated receiver/servo modules that might be in some of the TX-R planes.

Tactic receivers - 27 MHz, 72 MHz and 2.4 GHz
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ctic+receivers

The AnyLink module works with any of their 2.4 GHz receivers.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I was at the WRAM show today,in NJ. Picked up the Flyzone micro Albatros and received a free Anylink module with it. When the wind calms down I will give it a try.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Flyzone Albatros TX-R micro airplane using the AnyLink module – Flight review
Lots of fun but you need a computer radio with this one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LZ1274&P=ML

The packaging is similar to the ParkZone BnF planes as the Albatros comes in a nice travel/storage box that protects it. It includes a charger and one 130 mah single cell lipo. The whole plane is about 1.1 ounce flight ready.

I flew it in front of my house. This is no slow flyer, it was much faster than expected for a micro bi-plane. That means you will need a little room, but it also means it will take the wind better than something like a Vapor. It looks great in the air and is fun to fly. It is quite responsive to rudder and elevator. Some people may want a little expo on the elevator. The gearbox is a bit noisy, but not enough to bother me. It should be suitable for indoor flying in a medium to large size gym. .

I may take it with me when I travel. I have done that with my Vapor. However, since the RTF is only $10 more it may make sense to buy the RTF rather than the TX-R version if you want to take it with you when you travel. The radio is packaged nicely in the box and the rudder is mapped to the right stick.

The AnyLink module worked well on my Futaba 9C. I used a 100% aileron to rudder mix to move the rudder to the right stick. This is not an AnyLink issue it is due to the integrated "brick" that has the receiver, ESC and 2 servos. Just be aware you are going to have to do a mix if you want the rudder on the right in the typical set-up for three channel planes. Other than that the AnyLink was easy to set-up and use. I did not use the included locking loops as I don't want it permanantly mounted on the 9C. I used some double sided tape to temporarily attach the AnyLink module.

Here is a review of the similar Fokker DR.1 Triplane that includes a flight video. If you watch the video you will see how it flies. The Albatros flies in a very similar manner with a similar sound.

Hobbico Flyzone Fokker Dr.1 EP 2.4GHz RTF
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510304

Overall I like the plane. I like the AnyLink system for extending my computer radio and allowing me to move the plane from radio to radio with ease. And the 4 channel TX-R planes should be fine on a simple 4 channel radio with the AnyLink.

Clear Skies and Fly Safely!

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
fmw

I think the major advantage will be for people who do not have Spektrum radios but want micro flyers. Personally, I'm not a big fan of micros (the Albatross is my first one) but I wouldn't have considered a Pakrzone because I'm a Futaba user and the Parkzone micros don't come PNP. The Anylink gave me a chance to try a micro without wasting money on a receiver I can't use and I'll have the anylink for any future purchases of this type. Looks the F-86 might be next.

I see no advantage to using the Tactic receivers and would never buy one personally except in a TX-R model. I've been using the FrSky TR6 FASST receivers and I actually prefer them to the Futaba because they are slightly smaller and lighter and work exactly the same as Futaba. They are $26 at Hobby King.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by fmw View Post
I think the major advantage will be for people who do not have Spektrum radios but want micro flyers. Personally, I'm not a big fan of micros (the Albatross is my first one) but I wouldn't have considered a Pakrzone because I'm a Futaba user and the Parkzone micros don't come PNP. The Anylink gave me a chance to try a micro without wasting money on a receiver I can't use and I'll have the anylink for any future purchases of this type. Looks the F-86 might be next.

I see no advantage to using the Tactic receivers and would never buy one personally except in a TX-R model. I've been using the FrSky TR6 FASST receivers and I actually prefer them to the Futaba because they are slightly smaller and lighter and work exactly the same as Futaba. They are $26 at Hobby King.

No arguement about the FASST system. My 9C is normally FASST or 72 MHz. The only place where I would consider the Tactic receivers would be in a plane that I might want to move from radio to radio, or I want to use something other than my 9C. My slope gliders would be an example. The beach can be windy and sandy. Maybe I want to take a lesser radio to the beach and fly it with the AnyLink there, keeping my 9C at home.

Or I want to keep something in the car. I would not want that to be my 9C, so I can use a tactic receiver with the Anylink on some lesser radio. BUT if I am going to fly that at the field, I can move the AnyLink to the 9C and use that at the field.

I am actually set up this way with Spekturm. I have a spektrum module for the 9C.

I am not saying everyone should do this, only that I have thought about where it might be useful.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #22
lcm1977

I Bought the Flyzone Sensei with AnyLink. I am flying it with a DX6i. The entire system has worked flawlessly for me so far
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
fmw

My Albatross arrived today. Talk about small and light!. I hooked the AnyLink up to my back up transmitter (Futaba 7C), plugged in the battery and it worked immediately. I assume the system is self binding. When I powered the plane, a red led shone inside. I assumed it needed binding. Apparently not. It never turned green. 25mph gusts today. No maiden for me, I'm afraid.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners