Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)
Talking Dog House Heater

My Watch Dog is Happy Now He has a large Wood dog house, its carpeted, he has a big thick pillow in it, and the door has a rubber floor Mat that has been slit so it will close after he goes in the house to protect him from the wind, But its dropping into the low 20s here at night, thats cold, I felt sorry for him, so I made him a Heater for those cold Nights I put a light socket in a tin can at the top inside of the can so it hangs down, a 6"x7" round tin cans is used, made some holes at the bottom and top of the can, I used a 40 watt bulb, a 60 watt bulb gets the can to hot and might burn the Doggy so use a 40 watt bulb, i also put a 12" x 12" ceramic tile under the Can heater, the heater is secured and Spaced about 1" away from the dog house wall with one bolt at the top side of the can, thats bolted to the dog house side, so the can can not move, just below that a extension cord goes through the dog house and to the light socket inside the can, It might be UL approved because i grounded the green wire to the Can so the poor doggy does not get shocked The Heater Works great, it works with a Thermal Siphon, cold air comes in from the bottom of the can, its heated and goes out the top holes in the can, the can also gets warm and radiates heat, The dog does not want to come out of his Dog House Now He Did make mention about a color tv with remote control, but i said no Its nice and toasty in there now, I stuck my arm into the dog House and it felt like 65 to 70 degrees in there, when it was 30 degrees outside, unless you have some food for him, he wont get out of that Dog house now Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Great doghouse!! have'in been on a ball&chain and always in the doghouse for 1/2 my life makes me and a'thor'a'tee on the subject
My dog Bandit saw your post when I was getting some coffee,,,now he ain't speak'in to me,,He's got a doggie door but would like a doggie Hoss'ee'inn'da to call his own,,, Tell your dog he's a good boy and we said Hellobubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	318469_293859570640560_100000495592743_1173301_291145429_n.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	156640 I ain't speak'in to you Paw,,,

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Great doghouse!! have'in been on a ball&chain and always in the doghouse for 1/2 my life makes me and a'thor'a'tee on the subject
My dog Bandit saw your post when I was getting some coffee,,,now he ain't speak'in to me,,He's got a doggie door but would like a doggie Hoss'ee'inn'da to call his own,,, Tell your dog he's a good boy and we said Hellobubsteve
My dog read your post, and he said to say Hi Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Friends: (2)

The last several years we have had a cat. He was strictly an outside guy and never quite forgave me for the trip into town to visit the vet.

I put a small animal entrance in my storage shed including a nice insulated bed. I built a small shelter for him that sat on top our deck. I also built a small shelter for him with an insulated bed with an 8 watt warmer.

Where did he sleep? Underneath the storage shed or squeezing under the front porch. I even saw him sleeping under a very thick blue spruce tree. Even during the cold winter nights.

I was starting to feel sorry for him one cold winter day until I watched him chasing and jumping at snow flakes while it was snowing.

He tangled with a snow plow last winter so his nearly new shelters were given away. We miss his crazyiness as he lived up to his - Garfield.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Our Dachshund has a heated 3 story 3000 SF doghouse. Fortunately we get to sleep there too

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Voltron

Chellie, I hope my wife doesn't find out about this. She's been feeding a litter of ferrel cats that have taken over my boat as a winter home. The next thing you know she will be wanting me to provide heat for them too.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Chellie, I hope my wife doesn't find out about this. She's been feeding a litter of ferrel cats that have taken over my boat as a winter home. The next thing you know she will be wanting me to provide heat for them too.
Many years ago a member of our boat club had a home built 25' sail boat. During the winter while the boat was in storage a pair of minks got onboard and well you can guess the rest. You could smell his boat from 50 to 100' away. I don't know if he ever conquered the odor.

Good luck with the cats.

Roger
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Our Dachshund has a heated 3 story 3000 SF doghouse. Fortunately we get to sleep there too
I named my Dog Lucky But i got it wrong, I should have named him Goofy Thats the Dumbest dog I ever owned But i still like him

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Mums the word

Originally Posted by RightFly View Post
Many years ago a member of our boat club had a home built 25' sail boat. During the winter while the boat was in storage a pair of minks got onboard and well you can guess the rest. You could smell his boat from 50 to 100' away. I don't know if he ever conquered the odor.

Good luck with the cats.

Roger

Poor boat, thats going to take a lot of Vinegar to kill that smell

Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

My dog and I stay on the boat for weeks sometimes and I'm sure it smells ,, but my dog finally got used to it!!bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	252428_227417727284745_100000495592743_930465_8243657_n.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	156692 Bandits on Deck watch!

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

My Lab has a heated Doghouse with thick Blankets in it, but she still sleeps outside when it is cold. The only time she goes in is when it's raining.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Let me see... North Carolina... cold... Sorry it just doesn't compute! Besides dogs have fur coats: it gets really cold here, but never heard of a dog freezing to death!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Let me see... North Carolina... cold... Sorry it just doesn't compute! Besides dogs have fur coats: it gets really cold here, but never heard of a dog freezing to death!
Dogs make good heaters too the Indians used them to keep warm with during the night, the coldness was determined by how many dogs it took to keep warm during the Night, Ever heard of 3 Dog Night LOL

http://www.iidoba.org/standards.htm

The American Indian Dog has been traced back to 30,000 years in North & South America. Mainly the many groups of Plains Indians in the United States developed the dogs. It was very important to their entire culture. For thousands of years, Native Americans used these dogs for hunting, tracking, guarding and herding. They were also used as pack animals, and would pull the familyís travois as they moved or migrated. They would keep their owners warm at night, and provide wool for weaving and trading. A thinking breed, these dogs are very instinctual and territorially conscious. This creates an intense bonding, shown in pack loyalty to their family. They are never vicious, but always alert and tend to be cautious with strangers. They are excellent home and family watchdogs, capable of adjusting to any environment. Working versatility is one of the breedís exceptional qualities.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

Hey, when you grew up in the Florida Keys, with year round Tropical Trade Winds, like I did, it's cold in NC

How does your light shine, in the halls of Shambala.

Just an old-fashioned love song
Comin' down in three-part harmony
Just an old-fashioned love song
One I'm sure they wrote for you and me

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Was a good friend of mine
Never understood a single word he said
But I helped him drink his wine
Yes he always had some mighty fine wine

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat