Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool FASST compatible Receivers - What's your experience

FASST compatible Receivers - What's your experience
I have found varied posts and threads with bits and pieces about specific brands or models but no central discussion that talks about them all, so let's start one.

We are talking about receivers that claim to be compatible with Futaba FASST radio system. Examples would be ORANGE and FRSKY.

I am not talking about counterfits. I am talking about companies that seem to have created compatibles.

Here are my questions, they may also be your questions.

Which make and models do you have?

How long have you been using them?

Which radio do you use with these receivers?

What sort of aircraft are you flying?

Experience - good or bad, including glitches, crashes, customer service. If you love'em, say so. If you hate 'em, say so and why.

In the 72 MHz FM world we were used to having FM/PPM receivers from a wide variety of suppliers that would work with a wide variety of radios. As we went to 2.4 we had clear brand lock-in. These receivers may offer that flexibility to have receivers from multiple sources again.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Friends: (2)

I have two Orange RX 8ch Fasst compatible receivers model TFR8 from Hobby King. I use them with a Futaba 7C and 6EX 2.4ghz Fasst transmitters. I also have one Futaba R617FS 7ch receivers.

I am currently flying successfully a Electrify Flylite 3ch trainer and beginning to tackle 4ch with a Flyzone Sensei. My first flight experience was with a SkyFlyMax definately not a beginners plane and after sticking it into a 60' plus cedar tree I decided to use the low cost Rx's in case I could not make a recovery.

So both the Flylite and Sensei are carrying the Orange 8ch Rx and the expensive Futaba awaits my skills advancement. I currently have close to 30 hours on the two Orange receivers - mostly on the Flylite.

I have had no problems at all with the Orange TFR8-S receivers. My only comment is the binding procedure is a little more cumbersome than with the Futaba. You have to hold the bind button on the TFR8-S down while you apply power to the ESC. Sometimes a little tricky but not undoable alone.

Never any 'brown outs' or loss of control whatsoever that was attributed to the receivers. However, I am in sort of a remote area on my own property so signal interference is not really an issue.

The Futaba R617FS costs nearly as much as the planes I am currently flying and if I were to step up to a Top Flight or Hanger 9 plane I would probably use the Futaba.

But for now why not save money and I would rather lose a $30 receiver as opposed to the Futaba in a beginners episode. In my opinion they are a very good value and reliable.

Roger
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks, very helpful. Good luck with your flying.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
foodstick

Friends: (0)

I have 5 of the orange futaba compatible receivers, I have flown with four of them.. in planes up to a 40 size bipelane..so far not a single incident..

The last one I received was set to the HS high speed setting? and my servos were real jittery.. once I changed that setting.. it has bench tested fine...

I have a Futaba 7c ...

I am not sure this is of interest.. but I don't have them in any airplanes that use more than 5 servos, and I don't do any high stress 3D with these planes. So i would say I don't pull any massive loads through the receiver ...
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I have been using the orange and also more recently, the corona from the King. No issues. Our field is typical of most clubs. I'm using the 6ex. Fly mainly park flyers (c-182 , t-28) and a variety of pusher park jets. Seems like Spektrum really pulled some classic " disruptive innovation" on Futaba over the years. Fulfilled the needs of an underserved market. I feel like Futaba lost touch with their customers. I'm one out of only few in our club that flys Futaba. A dying breed? Their selection of rx's is pale in comparison not to mention heavy and expensive. Orange fasts compatible are less than 1/2 the cost and to me, I have yet to find a fault. But would I use one in $700.00 airplane ? Not sure .... Probably not.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Keep it coming guys, this is very helpful.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Myself I have 5 of them the oldest is almost 2 years old with more flights on it than I could remember.

I ranged tested these RX's in my Supercub first. I flew it as far as I could see it. Not my normal flight range a lot farther than I normally would with no issues. I used the SC as a test platform as it has seen better days and if something happened no big loss.
These are all in different planes with different amount of servos although that shouldn't make a difference that's the BEC'S job to supply power.

Now I think you use the LiFe RX battery, and these orange RX are supposed to handle 9.8 volts. I have just used the LiFe with the rx setting up a plane getting the servos throws and expo set. Didn't seem to mind the slight extra volts going through it. I know this is not a real flight experience something that you might want to test out in a plane that you don't mind using as a test platform to see if it truly can handle the LiFe battery out put. I will being using a LiFe in this plane, and I don't see any problem using the orange RX with it.

The only 2 con's if you can call them that would be the wait to get them from HK, and the size of them they are larger then a Futaba RX.
Sorry for the long winded post, but hope some of it helps in your decision myself I have had no issues to date, and will buy more as the fleet grows.
John
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Again, very very helpful.

So far there seems to be the Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any others?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Again, very very helpful.

So far there seems to be the Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any others?
Actually I think we are only dealing with two brands as the Orange is apparently a FrSky receiver. If you download the instruction sheet from HK for the Orange TFR8 it is on a FrSky document.

Here is a copy of what I downloaded. But, whoever the mfg I am happy with my TFR8 receivers.

Roger

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Orange Fasst Rx Instr.pdf (67.5 KB, 337 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Mustang Fever

Tested my first Orange RC FAAST compatible Rx this morning, flying a Pulse 25E float plane off the snow on Lake Cadillac, Michigan.

Works great. Absolutely no gripes. Same applies to the Turnigy Trust 55A ESC/BEC, the HK Quanum Telemetry system, and the Turnigy 3.3A 4S pack.

I aint getting ripped off by so called "name" suppliers ever again.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I have an Orange but no chance to test it yet.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I have an Orange but no chance to test it yet.
You will like it I am sure. Other than the bind procedure you will not be able to tell whether your plane is carrying the Orange or the Futaba rx.

That has been my exprerience, and I have two TFR6 FrSky receivers on the way from HK for $48.24 total including shipping. It is hard to justify the more expensive Futaba rx's in my 3 and 4ch trainers and I can save it for my 6 ch plane.

Best of luck with your Orange.
RT
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Mustang Fever

There's an item for the bind procedure that the manual doesn't cover- you must have one servo connected to a channel before you start the process.

(Tx on, depress and hold bind button, power up Rx)

With that knowledge, it's a piece of cake, as the button is actually easy to see and is accessible, unlike the 617s.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by RightFly View Post

The Futaba R617FS costs nearly as much as the planes I am currently flying and if I were to step up to a Top Flight or Hanger 9 plane I would probably use the Futaba.

Roger
That's the part that gets me too. I've never bought any knock off 2.4G receivers, but I am a bit amazed that the brand name companies still insist on not reducing prices 1 penny, with all the competition out there. No more top dollar receivers for me, as I now have enough to the point where I'll just start swapping them, and buy the cheap ones for the lower dollar planes. They were also dumb enough to limit my transmitter to only 10 aircraft memory, so they certainly aren't encouraging me to buy any more of their expensive receivers.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
egrave1

Club: WAMAC

I have 1 orange and three corona they are all 8 channel three of my airplanes are 60" wing span and I do all kind of flips and rolls and not one failed
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #16
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

This is an old thread but since you brought it back to life I will add my real life experience. I have a 7 channel FrSky and an 8 Channel FrSky that have worked perfectly. I fly these in 3M sailplanes that are flown high and far. No issues.

I got them from www.alofthobbies.com Great service!

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros