Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)
Default sdm\harbor fraight piper j3 cub flight

I bought this plane for myself at christmas & tried to fly it 1 time which end with a very short time in the air and a broke propeller. The tx is the worlds worst ever. After watching videos of countless people trying to fly this plane with several faild trys and reading how bad of a plane it is I thought I would not get this thing in the air after my first outting. So I switched it over too 2.4 and a better tx did a water breakin on the motor & got the cog adjusted balanced the prop. After reading Phillip morris's pages on the plane & sims time. My first hand launch today was great I did circles and fig.8's the plane is no power house but once in the air it went pretty good. I landed the plane and went up a 2nd time good hand launch but I had not gotten the rudder servo plugged into the receiver good so I lost rudder control & hit a fence no real damage. So after all it did not turn out to be a bad flying plane I think the stock tx is the biggest problem with flying this plane . Looks to be the same as the Exceed piper j3 cub 3ch.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

Congrats on the successful flight. I have the same plane purchased several years back. With the stock equipment on board I remember mine being slightly tail heavy which allows it to stall VERY easily. I ended up putting a 3 gram ceiling fan weight on the firewall and it flew much better after that. I have since upgraded to 72 mhz RX and a Park 400 brushless motor. Hand launches are a non-issue. I haven't flown it in quite a while,but it remains mission ready in my hangar.

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Congrats on making it work.

And yep, it is and Exceed, or SDM, or Shun Da, all the same plane, just different names. I believe Shun Da/or SDM if you will, is the originator of it.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
hangingon

Another good flight today a little too windy so I cut it short. I find this plane very easy too fly I'm enjoying the plane. I guess you could say I'm hooked!!!! Now I can't wait for a less windy day.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
Another good flight today a little too windy so I cut it short. I find this plane very easy too fly I'm enjoying the plane. I guess you could say I'm hooked!!!! Now I can't wait for a less windy day.
I got your PM.
Back when I was flying mine I tried some ground takeoffs,but they were iffy at best. Hand launching is the way to go.

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Good on ya! 2 thumbs up!
Does it have a heavy old NiMh battery? Just wait untill you move up to a bit better technology! It doesn't have to be a cutting edge plane to make you smile, but with just a bit better equipment, it is A LOT better flying. Look around here, ask questions, and you'll see there are some inexpensive planes that will really get your addiction fired up!

Don
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
hangingon

Yes it's NIMH. I like how the plane is layed back kinda flying. Flying my mini titan heli keeps me on edge & now it's on the shelf needing a new shaft & servo gears to rebuild the servo. Price played a big part in me getting the plane I got and it was not easy talking my wife into me getting it. I do understand the better better quality from all my years in rc cars,buggies & trucks from electric to nitro and from a honey bee too a cx2 & the mini titan. I don't how I would feel if I got a hold of a good quality plane.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions