Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
HobbyJumper

Friends: (0)

Oh yeah, batteries. For this plane I bought a mixture of eflite and off-brand lipo packs in the 2000mah range (the long stick) and they work fine. But here's what's interesting. As an experiment, I tried the smaller 1300mah packs I already had for another plane. They are lighter and cheaper, and i still get ten minutes out of them, which is all i want in one go anyway.

Good luck. If you become really good at flying the Champ, you won't need much training to move up to the FC, imho. You just need more room!

Pete
Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
WayfaringDreamer

Thanks for the info Hobby Jumper!

I'm starting to get pretty good with the Champ. I live in a development with empty lots that are perfect for flying it. Practiced dead stick landings, touch and goes, figure 8s and loops this morning. No crashes!!!

Love this little plane! I'm really looking forward to ailerons and flaps in the funcub!.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
mark2cars
WattsupMark

Default WOW !!!

Really a cool little plane. I am going to order one for myself. Gotta come up with a neat color scheme though.......any ideas out there???
Mark
Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #29
HobbyJumper

I stumbled across this paint job once and have always liked it...

Pete
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
WayfaringDreamer

I decided on fluorescent orange and green with black trim. Will post pics when finished.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
WayfaringDreamer

Maiden flight was yesterday and she performed beautifully!
Practiced landings and takeoffs. Thanks to the help of the guys at the field I got the servos correctly centered. Still haven't connected the flaps yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #32
Nieuport Fly Guy

Friends: (3)

Hey gang...this is a nice manageable forum for the fun cub. Just ordered mine yesterday and the power setup from Heads up RC. I was out flying my Flylite at the lake the other day...and a gentleman was assembling his fun cub. After my short video flight I stuck around to watch. I was impressed at how fast and slow the plane flys. He was flying it fast just 10 feet over the water. (water likes my planes). Anyway...started looking at the threads and decided this had to be my next plane! I'll be checking back here often.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #33
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

Newport. I also have a Fun Cub. A little bit of friendly advice. I you are going to use Hitec HS55 servos for the ailerons & flaps? Do yourself a favor and order a reverse rotation HS55 servo from Servo City. This keeps you from pulling your hair out and not having to use a reversing Y - Harness. You can use a regular Y - Harness. Throw reversed servos only cost an extra 10 Bucks. Servo City has great prices and fast delivery and reasonable shipping cost. Super Nice Folks. www.servocity.com
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
Newport. I also have a Fun Cub. A little bit of friendly advice. I you are going to use Hitec HS55 servos for the ailerons & flaps? Do yourself a favor and order a reverse rotation HS55 servo from Servo City. This keeps you from pulling your hair out and not having to use a reversing Y - Harness. You can use a regular Y - Harness. Throw reversed servos only cost an extra 10 Bucks. Servo City has great prices and fast delivery and reasonable shipping cost. Super Nice Folks. www.servocity.com
Good advice...who knew they made a reverse rotation servo? I already ordered the harness...and/or Heads Up RC said you could reverse the placement of the servo too...I really was not sure what they were talking about and thought I would have to post a question about the flap servo placement anyway...just have to wait until I get the kit to see if it all makes sense!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #35
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
Oh yeah, batteries. For this plane I bought a mixture of eflite and off-brand lipo packs in the 2000mah range (the long stick) and they work fine. But here's what's interesting. As an experiment, I tried the smaller 1300mah packs I already had for another plane. They are lighter and cheaper, and i still get ten minutes out of them, which is all i want in one go anyway.

Good luck. If you become really good at flying the Champ, you won't need much training to move up to the FC, imho. You just need more room!
Nice to know about the batteries! I have lots of 1000 and 1300 mah....and did not purchase the 2000 mah yet...as I thought I would just try with the batteries I already had. I too like to shorter flight times. Are your lipo's 2 or 3 cells?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
HobbyJumper

We're talking 3 cell.

Oh, and another thing, the FC uses a lot of those set-screw type servo connectors. So use loc-tite and check them periodically, because they can work themselves loose.

Fantastic plane btw. The more I fly it the more I like it. Going to be a shame when I smash it all up

Pete
Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #37
Nieuport Fly Guy

FC just arrived today. Waiting on 3 other shipments for electronics and such. Looks like a fun build. Already prep'd the fuse and wings with an alcohol wipe and applied paint (Yellow and Blue Scheme). Have to clear out the leftover garage sale items to make room for the build table! Maybe a little time this weekend to start!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
Nieuport Fly Guy

Default Fun Cub Build Pics

Here are a couple of pics of the build and color scheme so far! One question though...when you join the wings do you glue the spar connection? And if so...what type of glue do you use?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1151.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	160439

Name:	DSCN1152.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	160440
Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #39
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Nieuport Fly Guy View Post
Here are a couple of pics of the build and color scheme so far! One question though...when you join the wings do you glue the spar connection? And if so...what type of glue do you use?
Newport what brand of radio are you using? Don't use a reversing Y with Spektrum gear. Spektum even say's don't use them. I really don't understand all the technical mumbo jumbo why they don't work right, but they don't.

I did glue mine and I used medium CA and Kickers.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #40
Nieuport Fly Guy

Well the build is almost complete. Waiting on a metal motor mount...but have it set with the plastic mount with the kit. Also waiting on a prop ( only had a 10x5 prop). Electronics are as recommended by Heads Up RC...

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...FUN-CUB/Detail

Have a dx6i. Any settings you pros can suggest before my maiden?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #41
HobbyJumper

Sure. Set the timer for ten minutes.

But seriously, I'm flying a headsUp equipped FC with a dx6i and haven't had to adjust a thing, apart from setting my flaps at about 20 degrees. Oh and I did slide the battery forward a tad.

I do have to adjust (bend with my fingers) the landing gear every so often, so that the wheels toe-in and the plane taxis in something like a straight line.

Don't gun the throttle on your first take off or the FC might shoot up faster than you expect. Just ease the throttle forward and up she goes.

Note: I am not a pro. I lose money flying; not make it.

Originally Posted by Nieuport Fly Guy View Post
Well the build is almost complete. Waiting on a metal motor mount...but have it set with the plastic mount with the kit. Also waiting on a prop ( only had a 10x5 prop). Electronics are as recommended by Heads Up RC...

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...FUN-CUB/Detail

Have a dx6i. Any settings you pros can suggest before my maiden?

Pete
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #42
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

http://www.modelmarkings.com/index.p...liplex-fun-cub I ran across these in my travels .http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609922 joe
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
ServoCity

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
Thanks Big Johnny! We appreciate the kind words .
ServoCity
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #44
WayfaringDreamer

My FC developed the shakes and split the fuselage apart. I fixed it by glassing the motor area, air intake and battery compartment floor.

I also switched to the aluminum motor mount and switched from a 13x4 to a 12x6 prop.

Flew it last night and it was smooth as silk!

I am using the stock himax motor but am thinking of switching it out. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #45
WayfaringDreamer

I am using the dx6I and set the flaps on separate channels and mixed them in the radio.

It worked kinda after a lot of trial and error.

Had a problem with them not going down the same amount and they only go down about 60%. Also when I connect the battery one of the servos tries to go the wrong way and strains the flap and pushrod.

I think I'm going to physically reverse one of the flap servos (I've gotten good at gluing foam ) and use a Y connector.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #46
HobbyJumper

Maybe it's just me, but I've snapped the motor shaft in two twice, so far. Both times during bad landings. Luckily they are cheap (from Headsup) and replacement takes only minutes -- good to have a couple of spares.

Pete
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #47
HobbyJumper

Default Now with Floats!

On the way up to the family cottage I stopped to take a picture of this bird (first thumbnail), since it reminded me of something. Yes, I had my Fun Cub with me, newly decked out with floats. Unfortunately it was WINDY the whole time I was up there, and I only managed one hairy flight. I was totally impressed, however, with the way the FC taxied about on the lake, despite some one foot (scale) waves. And how it popped into the air nicely.

Here's some shots of the FC back home in my pond. Note my own rudder mod. Multiplex totally blew it when it comes to the tail wheel AND the rudder. Note how nicely it sits in the water. Works great.

Cheers...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	162246

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	162247

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	162248

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	162249

Pete
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #48
Flysfloats

Hobby Jumper: Can you give me link to "headsup"? I, too, have had to replace motor shafts and today I slightly bent one, grrrr.

I was sort of pleased with my paint scheme, simple as it is but you have done an exceptionaly good job, impressive.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3810.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	162697

Name:	100_3811.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	162698
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #49
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post
Hobby Jumper: Can you give me link to "headsup"? I, too, have had to replace motor shafts and today I slightly bent one, grrrr.

I was sort of pleased with my paint scheme, simple as it is but you have done an exceptionaly good job, impressive.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront And here are a set of floats for ya too. joe

Attached Files
File Type: pdf downloadplan_av0712_schwimmer_a4floats for pinkus.pdf (1.22 MB, 124 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #50
HobbyJumper

Neat float plans, rk. I just went with store-bought. Btw your paint scheme, Flysfloats, looks nice and will make it easy to orient your plane in the sky (though I might make the front window black eh?)

Cheers...

Pete

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners