Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool What is your experience with FrSky receivers and Radio Modules?

I have doing a lot of reading laterly about 2.4 GHz module based systems. I am moving my 72 MHz systems all over to 2.4.

I started moving my lower end stuff to Spektrum DSM2 via a module in my Futaba 9C Super radio. Since DSMX is not available in a module I went looking for a high end system.

My High end stuff is going to Futaba FASST via a module in my other 9C Super.

However, during my reading on other forums I came across GLOWING reports for the FrSky module based system and receivers. So I thought I would bring this to Wattflyer and see what the experience is among those in the electric community.

If you use a FrSky module in your radio, tell us about your experience.

How long have you been flying FrSky?

What kinds of planes do you fly?

Has it been reliable?

Would you recommend it to others?

Anything else you would like to tell us? Please feel free.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/LHMAC
Friends: (2)

Hey AEAJR,
Hmmmm....funny you should ask about those.

Two years ago, after getting back into RC as a retread, & now retired, I chose the electric arena so as not to bring on any grief from the neighborhood with nitro. Besides, I find elec. much more handy as far as not having to lug around the nitro needs. I have a nice 55acre farm that adjoins my property, although most is waist-high scruff & I keep the 2acres next to my property trimmed for my runway.

Last year, after graduating from the Champ & advancing to my (2)Dynam HS's & (2) 800MM F4U/P51, I was assembling some 1100 & 1400 ARF's & hadn't decided which system would fit all my needs to simply have one Tx with Rx's of the same sys. in each bird. So, I purchased a Turnigy 9x, FlySky TH9X, have a Multiplex EVO12 equipped with a HiTec 2.4 module.

Last fall, joining my bro's RC club, I met a superb gent who had brought his new plane to the club for display. He used a JR10X & allowed me to examine it & question him as to his use & what he found about the JR that made him choose it. He enlightened me quite handily & it was then, after "feeling" it in my hands, I decided that was the unit I would search for. I found one & bought it & started to read & learn all the features & attributes of the 10X, & gradually learning how to use the programming features......at 68, going back to school is quite interesting.

I sold all the other Tx's, albeit the EVO is still on the market. Researching all the data I could absorb regarding Tx/Rx systems & interface connectivity, recommendations, reviews, & overall consensus, I chose the FrSky 2.4GHz w/telemetry Rx's to be used in all my planes. The module is the DJT-II V2 & the Rx's are the D8R-II V2 telemetry units. I bought the 1st one in Oct/11 to test/evaluate on my "new-to-me" 10x. Got a bit of a discount & was $51 for the set.

I set up the Rx in my 800mm F4U to see how it would operate & did a range test.....all good. Took my laser rangefinder out back & checked the far corner of the farm where there is a gas well & it read 840m. The r/f is accurate to 1m a 1k, so I had a good idea of the distance. Had my neighbor youngster take the activated plane out to the end of the farm on his quad with one of my 2-way FRS radios. When he got there, I asked him to tell me what was moving on the plane & I proceeded to advance the throttle, move the elev., rudder, & ailerons sticks & he indicated which were moving. All functioned very well. He came back & now it was time to flight test with a fresh 1600mah lipo. I went & got my 12X binos for him to watch & make sure of my orientation once I had it out to a speck size with my eyes. When he said it was near the well, I asked him to tell me if it was banking left for return to make sure I wouldn't lose it. He confirmed my movement & said it was coming towards us & I could see the yellow wings easily by then. Landed it with a bit of a nose-over in the grass as it was a bit high. Believe me, anyone who says that they tell the orientation at 800m has X-ray eyes.

I was sold with the FrSky system & in Dec. ordered the 2nd Tx/Rx set w/4 xtra Rx's. I'm still waiting as they were on B/O & now it's CNY.....I'm in no hurry since it's winter here. Hope that gives you some fodder to contemplate & maybe take a chance as I did. I am sold on the system and only time will tell. Had (11) flights so far with it & not one glitch. Here's my "test" bird.....

Denny

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silF4U2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	156850  

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *
Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Denny,

good luck with all of your planes and thanks for the report.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I am now almost exclusively FrSky Tx module's and Rx's.

I have had no problems with them at all ... and thats fitted into my FlySky Tx's.

Models : Big gasoline powered bipe, loads of electrics such as fast EDF and aerobatic bipes etc.

Can I recc'd ? Certainly yes.

From what I gather - they listen to users and incorporate suggestions etc. in development. They are at forefront of FPV / Telemetry ....

Final decider of course is the price and that they understand that some like Futaba and others like JR based format systems ...

Me - I'm hooked.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Every report I have received has been excellent. I am going to have to look into these. Not that I need a third module but I do recommend things to people and these are looking better and better.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers
Friends: (0)

I have two of these, the modules mounted in Futaba transmitters and the receivers in 40 sized trainers. They have performed perfectly for about a year now. Very satisfied with them.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Any Frsky receivers to avoid?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Any Frsky receivers to avoid?
The old ones !!

All current are good.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Have a flying bud who modded his EVO 9 so it runs both 72 and the FrSky systems.
Not one glitch and he loves em. My EVO will be next. Hopefully they will be offering the rx's without tele, as I for now have no use for it, and of course they are cheaper. LOL!

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have the HV non telemetry Rx's ... still available and in the latest Freq hopping form. As far as I know - it's only the Tx that now only Tele mode ? But to be honest even if only the Tele mode ones are current - the weight / size is not that much different and for a few $ difference ?

I will be going Tele later ... but for now I'm happy enough with non.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
yorkiepap

Club: AMA/LHMAC
Friends: (2)

Hey guys,
Just a followup on my 1st response. I finally downloaded all the pics on my cameras' SD card(3810 pics), so I could take some pics of my JR's with the FrSky 2.4 module & telemetry Rx. These are my 8103 & one of my 10X's. They both can use either the 72MHz modules I have, or the 2.4 module. It is simply a matter of removing the 72 module & antenna, & installing the 2.4, & vise-versa. Makes for quite a versatile setup. There are no internal modifications of any kind needed, just a simple swap. This makes it quite cost-effective to pick up a clean, used JR or Futaba Tx in 72MHz & purchase the FrSky 2.4 module w/either telemetry or non-telemetry Rx's for $53 & $38 respectively. They are on HK's site & list all the Tx's in JR & Futaba they will work with.....quite a few. Personally, I find the older Tx's to be so much better quality & "feel" compared to the newer plastic "boxes". Not that the internals of the newer are not decent, just the overall stick movements, switches & the case is so much more solid feeling.....has that "weighty" feel. Anyway, just some mental fodder for the newbies & youngsters to consider to start initially with an RTF to "wean" & learn, & then to step into a good, "seasoned"(like we 'ol-timers) quality Tx system. The options are definitely in your favor.....especially with your hard-earned $$$$$. A prime example is a newly listed Futaba T9CAP in 72MHz w/extras on RCG for $200.....THAT'S A STEAL!!! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592707

Here's some pics of my 8103 & 10X w/module swap.

Denny

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrSky1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	157199   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrSky2.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	157200   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrSky3.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	157201   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrSky4.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	157202   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrSky5.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	157203  

Name:	FrSky6.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	157204   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrSky7.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	157205  

* "To Be Old and Wise You Must First Be Young and Stupid." *

* "A mans' word is his honor....without honor, there is nothing." *
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I totally agree about older radios "feel" ..... I have a 1980's JR Propo .... and the sticks / switches are so much more better ... I have to admit though - it was the Rolls Royce of radios when it came out !! In those days it really was the case to spend good money to get good gear ... unlike today !

I'm having trouble getting the contacts to stay connected when I put the module in .... I read somewhere that some of the older sets, the pins are slimmer and not quite aligned for todays modules but it is correctable.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
SuchIsLife

I've been flying FrSky in a 9x for 2 years. The reason I like it apart from it being a solid reliable system, is that the company follows the forums and implements consumer suggestions quite regularly. I like the upgradable firmware and all the DIY and 3rd party telemetry options which have come from its open source protocol, too.

I saw an android frsky telemetry app this week for example, that audibly reads out your voltage at regular intervals!

I have never had a glitch, brownout or issue ever. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
fmw

I converted to FRSky receivers about a year ago. I'm not sure of the count but I have perhaps 7 or 8 receivers - almost as many as the Futaba R617's they are replacing. The new TR6 is better for me than the R617. It is smaller and lighter and works exactly the same. It also seems to have better fit and finish. I have no intention of buying another Futaba receiver unless something serious changes.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I've been using the Corona and Orange Fasst knock-offs with my Futaba 6EX. No problems and a boatload from China cheaper than Futaba. Here I thought I was the last Futaba guy standing.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Reciver.html
Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
fmw

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19365

is the link for the FRSKY TR6. I'm pretty surprised Futaba hasn't made some dramatic price reductions on the R617. According to an electronics engineer I know these receivers cost less than 50 cents each to manufacture in China in any reasonable quantity. You'd think futaba would just put these clones out of business by pricing the R617 way down. Go figure.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #17
SuchIsLife

Default Telemetry LCD display

One other thing is the DHT-U released recently.
There were dozens of DIY projects trying to achieve an LCD readout for the telemetry over the two years FrSky telemetry has been out, some successful. But FrSky released their own version which is fantastic, and only about $60

The screen has a built in FrSky module, so the one unit serves as FrSky radio module and display, and clips on. You have to solder it in to the PPM inside your Tx but there are plenty of how-to videos for this.

Dynam Spitfire, Dynam P-51, Electrafly Camel, scratchbuilt foamboard F-15 and full fuse Spad XIII, paper airplanes, rubber bands, anything I can fly.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
SuchIsLife

Dynam Spitfire, Dynam P-51, Electrafly Camel, scratchbuilt foamboard F-15 and full fuse Spad XIII, paper airplanes, rubber bands, anything I can fly.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Weekend Flyer
iLikeRC

I believe FRSKY makes the Orange Fasst (both at HobbyKing). I have used the Orange Fasst and I personally don't see a difference between my Futaba RX and the Orange Fasst RX. The Orange is about $70 cheaper.

Visit www.iLikeRC.com for great coupon codes for discounts at some of the best Online RC Stores.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks. Great info. Keep it coming!

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #21
lgarrettleonard

They are only making thr "D" series transmitter Modules now These can be used with either "D" series or "V8" series receivers by changing a dip switch on the transmitter module. I use the "V8" receivers as I do not use telemetry at this time. I have had no problems with these at this time. I first used the DIY Kit on a Futaba 6ex transmitter Then Purchased 2 - used Futaba 9C transmitters and FrSky modules.
I have a total of 20 receivers now. The only airplane I have that is not with a FrSky receiver is a Night Vapor.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I use the Frysky futaba compatible
Rx's w/ my 6EX and have had no issues. Love the small size too. Fly some all edf park jets and scratchbuilt park flyers. Great rx's IMHO
1/3 the price of Futaba.

- hawk
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
flyboyanderson

You can now buy your Frysky equipment in the states:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/

or ...

http://www.valuehobby.com/

I have purchased my recent Frysky RXs from both. Alofthobbies has a better selection and based on email some exchanges, appears to be in close communications with Frysky. LIke letting the cat out of the bag about the frysky TX due out.

Great stuff
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Rodneh

Club: Moonport Modelers

What is Frysky, do you mean Frsky?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #25
Westwind

Hi guys I'm still a noob, only been flying for a few months. I would like to put a telemetry set on my Radian Pro and Fun Cub and was thinking of the FrSky system. I run Spektrum gear with a DX6i tx. I"m looking to put in airspeed, altitude and voltage and maybe GPS on a live feed.
So the question is how would I put the system together and what componantes would I need.
Thx

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions