Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)
Default FY 30-A Hypnotic effect....

Man oh man am I a happy guy these days.
I have been flying my old trusty 2 Dog Yak for the last several days like never before.

I got my hands on a Feytech FY 30-a Flight Stabilizer.

These things are awesome, but I can see where they will have their critics.
50% of the guys at the field that I have shown it to say I'm cheating. 30% of them said they want one, and 20% of them ordered them on the spot.

What's the hypnotic effect? Watching your airplane fly so amazingly solid you hardly believe its you. I can hover a 3D foamie just fine, but with the FY-30 a, its inspiring.

That little orange box.... fun in a huge way!

Taken from Feiyu Tech:

FY30A has an integrated three-axis gyro and three-axis accelerometer which controls the aircraft movement in three-dimensional space. By using your remote control, the unit can be turned on or off for the following functions:

Level flight – When stabilizer is activated, the FY-30A will automatically control the aircraft for smooth easy flying. For beginners in RC aircraft flying, this is advantages as it makes flight easier and increases the student pilot self-confidence. The system can be activated throughout the entire flight duration, from take off to landing.
Emergency Recovery - If you lose orientation or feel the plane out of control, then FY-30A Inertial Attitude Stabilizer release all control sticks, maintain throttle and switch on the FY30A. The unit will automatically send the correct signals to balance of the aircraft and regain level flight.
Aerobatics – for the experienced fixed wing 3D pilot, the FY-30A can help you achieve a more accurate flight path, especially in windy conditions. FY-30A makes 3D maneuvers such as inverted flight, , crane etc easier and simpler to achieve and maintain. A great way to practice and improve your 3D flying.
First Person View - for long-distance RC flight via video transmitter, the FY30A will maintain the balance of your aircraft. You only need to control the heading of your aircraft and enjoy the view.
Firmware upgrade – The FY30A firmware is upgradable by connecting to your
computer via a USB-TTL cable. As Feiyu Tech continuously improves the FY30A
system, firmware upgrades will be released periodically.

How it works:

The core hardware for the FY-30A is the integrated three-axis gyro and three-axis accelerometer which is the basis for inertial sensing. The other major components are an inertial navigation platform and strap down attitude algorithm designed for fixed wing aircraft stabilization.

When the FY-30A is in auto-balance mode, it detects the aircraft attitude and horizontal positioning and issues commands to servos that adjust the aircraft control surfaces (Aileron, Elevator and Rudder) so that the aircraft remains level at all times. Due to this auto corrective action to maintain smooth attitude and level flight, the FY-30A makes flying very easy.

When the FY-30A is operating in 3D mode and the aircraft is in an acrobatics flight, the FY-30A will use the 3-axis gyroscope sensors to calculate roll velocity and overall flight attitude. With this data, the system will output corresponding control corrections to maintain a smooth aircraft flight attitude even when doing aerobatics flight.

Since the FY30A is self contained, it can be used in all weather conditions, indoors or outdoors. Just power up and take off.

Applications:

The FY30A can be used in the following fixed wing models:

Traditional layout fixed-wing aircraft with Aileron, Elevator and Rudder
Flying wings with rudder;
Flying wings with no rudder;
Airplanes with no ailerons (rudder and elevator only)
V-tail airplanes with ailerons;
V tail airplanes with no ailerons
Any other configuration, please email us for consultation - feiyudz@yahoo.cn.

Remote control system:

The FY-30A has been tested to work well with the following RC system:

Robbe-Futaba PPM / PCM 1024 / PCM G3 mode, 2.4G systems
Graupner / JR PPM 8, PPM 12, SPCM mode;
MPX PPM8, PPM 12 with UNI mode
any other system with a neutral position of 1.5 ms (standard remote control device).

FY-30A Operating Mode:

The FY-30A can be operated in three flight modes modes:

Mode 1: FY-30A Deactivated Mode. In this mode, the FY-30A stabilization function is turned off. The aircraft is completely under the control of the pilot.
Mode 2: 3D Control Mode. In this mode, the stabilizer utilizes its 3-axis gyroscope to sense roll velocity and flight attitude. If no input is given by the pilot (sticks in the middle position) the FY30A will hold the current aircraft attitude. This prevents rolling of the aircraft at the axial plane and maintains its current posture. Therefore the aircraft can be easily maneuvered to complete a variety of 3D flight with added stability and smoothness.
Mode 3: self-balancing mode. In this mode, the FY-30A will automatically command the aircraft control surfaces to maintain level flight at all times.
The instruction to change the FY30A flight modes is via a spare channel on the RC receiver.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.JPG
Views:	3050
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	156851

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Paul_B

Club: Villeparisis Club France
Friends: (0)

Very interesting product for sure. It look's like the EagleTree Guardian.
Is it 100% standalone or do you need a GPS ?
Do you need some kind of calibration at the beginning of the flight ?
Do you need to position the module accuratly inside the airplane ?

-Paul
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

That looks very interesting, did you buy direct from Fyetech: http://shop.fyetech.com/index.php?cPath=38

It might be cheating but who cares

Steve

Paul, the manuals can be downloaded from Fyetech.. It's stand alone, it uses inertial 'gyros' not GPS.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nitro,

Add me to the 20% of those that ordered 'on the spot'.. I found one on eBay, seems to be the exact same unit but with a black metal case.

Seach eBay for: 'FEIYU Inertial Attitude Stabilizer FY-30A'

Cant wait to try it out!

Steve
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

You guys are GOING TO LOVE IT.

Out of the box, I needed NO ADJUSTMENTS to my 2 Dog, but in all the installs recently, we needed to 'calibrate' the gyros on a Parkzone Trojan install, and adjust more elevator gain.

Super simple install, and yes, get it as square as possible on the install. HOWEVER, if you cant (no flat surface to mount to) you can put it in slightly tweaked, then do a flight and 'record' what straight and level is. Once you do that, it knows what to do to maintain straight and level flight.

I found the Eagle Tree unit, and it looks the same, only with no outer case.

Eagle looks great for electric only, where the FY is suitable more for gas too IMO because of the case.... I'd bet they are virtually the same thing though.

I got all my units from www.empirerc.com

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nitro, so does the unit help with stuff like hovering?.. That's a trick that has so far eluded me with my 3D models.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

JPF, like you cant imagine.

I actually use the hover to show how effective it is. First, I hover with it off, then I break out, and come back into hover then turn it on.

I can hover hands off for longer than some guys can hover in the right conditions!

(btw, if anyone wants a deal on the FY-30, PM me for details)

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Paul_B

Club: Villeparisis Club France

This is neat. It seems incredible that the radio manufacturers are not interested in developing such a product. I mean fly-by-wire is the way to go.
One bad point is that the FY30A is vibration sensitive. Has anyone already tried it on a nitro plane ?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Hircflyer put one in his gasoline powered hobby King L4 Grasshopper.

They come with this super cool 'suspension' mount for heavy vibration situations.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
bnick2k11

Hey Guys...

My first post on Wattflyer, yeah...!!!

I bought the FY30A and simply love it... Seriously this is one of the single best RC purchases I've made since getting back into RC...

I've flown pattern, 3D, and CP heli's for decades but recently wanted to stabilize for doing smooth HD videos of our area from the park across the street and Wow want a great product this is...

Take offs and landings in either 3D Mode 2, or Full Auto Stabilization Mode 3, are the most perfect I've ever seen... There are times I like to try and fly scale as real as possibly and this FY30A makes for the most beautiful scale flying... I can't help but think how pretty the HK B17 would look flying scale with the FY30A and I'm chomping at the bit to put it in my Edge 540T... Guys have written the FY30A can make you a lazy flyer and there may be some truth in that but the fun of it outways the foolish risk, ha...

There are some great examples of guys flying this FY30A on YouTube and Vimeo and a couple where guys hang their 3D planes in their garage and put their transmitters down and walk away and the plane just hangs there perfectly even in the prop wash...

I started using stabilizers last year with the Flymentor 3 axis gyro from HK for $76 and it still works perfect... I mounted it on my Trex450, also on the nasty little Blade SR, which it totally tamed to the point I could hover it at 3' put my DX7 down on the ground and walk away counting slowly to 50 before picking the Tx back up while we made a YouTube video like others have... It also worked great on the Esky HoneyBee FPV2 as well as on the Multiplex FunCopter V2... I mounted it on these heli's mostly just to help the Grandsons learn to fly but this FY30A, as well as Eagle Trees new Guardian are so impressive...

I've been asking around but no one has given me an answer yet about whether the FY30A and Guardian are the same unit with the Guardian being just a bit newer and more polished, especially with it's ability to adjust gyro gain from your Transmitter which the FY30A doesn't do... For me I would like that ability as many of us heli flyers use the Tx adjustable gain to fine tune our HH and Rate mode tail gyros with it but even without it the FY30A works great once you get your gain's where you want them...

I really do think I'll be ordering a Guardian too, as soon as they are available, especially due to it being priced at $79 compared to my FY30A which was $125 at xheli...

Sorry so long but just wanted to say hi and that this FY30A is a must for anyone wanting perfect, takeoffs, landings, 3D flying, HD Aerial Photography, FPV, Scale flying etc...

Mounting it under your CG is very helpful in making it work it's best and they are not as vibration sensitive as people make them out to be... Also being able to completely bypass the FY30A is also nice and a good safety feature sould you need to take total control for whatever reason...

An external BEC is a very good addition and is recommended for a clean power source for the FY30A and in my case it was needed to make the FY30A work correctly... My Park480\1024kv with it's 54Amp Thunderbird ESC was just too erratic with the motor's power usage and the FY30A was spastic in it's operating but soon as the 10amp CC Bec was in line the FY30A was perfect...

Happy Flyin'
bnick
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
MrBlu

Send a message via Skype™ to MrBlu

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but you may also want to consider this:

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...o-Pilot-CPD4_2

If all you want is stabilization. Under $60 US and it works great.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Not hijacking at all, but it's worth noting that the unit you linked to is totally different to the FY30A inertial 'gyro' type stabiliser.

The unit you linked works visually by looking at the horizon and levelling the plane relative to the horizon. It seems to simply force the plane to fly level, which is useful as a 'panic button' on a trainer or maybe an FPV, but of limited use otherwise. With the FY30A in 3D mode the plane is stabilised in any orientation, inverted, knife edge, high alpha, hanging on the prop.. you name it. They are in reality totally different in principal and in use.

Steve
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

My FY-30A arrived today, or at least I assume it's the FY-30A as my wife tells me something from China came in the post and the packet sounds about the right size..

Flight report to follow

Steve
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
bnick2k11

Steve if you're like most of us you will love it...
bnick
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I tried the FY-30A today.. WOW.. This thing really is amazing. The 3D setting is just like turning off the wind. I was flying my new HobbyKing Slick 360 and when the gyro was activated it really was as if the wind had stopped blowing. You could see the gyro working as the gusts (about 15mph) hit the plane but all it did was twitch rather than getting blown around. Stuff like knife edge is simplicity itself with the gyro activated because it keeps locked into perfect straight KE flight, no tucking or rolling, KE loops are just as easy. Harrier flight was also easy as pulling back on the elevator and the gyro looked after the rest.

It does take a little getting used to because you need to properly coordinate rudder aileron and elevator in your turns. If you try to just turn on aileron and elevator the gyro detects a change of heading and fights it by adding opposite rudder which results in an extreme tail low side slipping turn.
Initially I had the gain too high which produced an alarming oscillation in roll. This was probably due to the large 3D surfaces and extreme throws, turning the gain right down fixed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing is capable of...

Steve
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
bnick2k11

Cool Steve...

Anyone who gets it setup right and working properly can't help but love it... It is super for 3D and really thanks for your explanation on flying each control A,E,R to the point you want to start your 3D maneuver at, because if you don't the rudder can fight you a bit trying to correct to it's last known location... I guess keeping in mind that she remembers your last stick position should make us get to where we really want to be before starting a 3D maneuver and really it all happens within a second, but setting each stick and being aware of what attitude you are looking for prior to your maneuver makes good sense and to be aware of so we can work with the FY30A and not against her...

bnick
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I would only change that it does not 'remember stick position', it remembers HEADING. If you aileron bank, and elevator up turn, a tail slide is because its trying to hold the heading, not remembering the stick position.

Anyone else having fun with the "Auto Recovery" mode? I like setting up inverted about 2 ft above the deck, and flipping the switch!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Anyone else having fun with the "Auto Recovery" mode? I like setting up inverted about 2 ft above the deck, and flipping the switch!
I've not plucked up the courage to do anything like that just yet! I still need to fine tune the auto recovery attitude as it dives slightly right now. The bumpy conditions today weren't conducive to setting up the attitude in flight so I just set it on the bench and I must have had the tail sitting slightly too high.

The need to coordinate turns in order to override the heading hold tendency is actually quite useful because it forces you into good flying habits. After flying the gyro stabilized Slick I found myself using the rudder much more on my other non-gyro equipped model.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I've not plucked up the courage to do anything like that just yet! I still need to fine tune the auto recovery attitude as it dives slightly right now. The bumpy conditions today weren't conducive to setting up the attitude in flight so I just set it on the bench and I must have had the tail sitting slightly too high.

The need to coordinate turns in order to override the heading hold tendency is actually quite useful because it forces you into good flying habits. After flying the gyro stabilized Slick I found myself using the rudder much more on my other non-gyro equipped model.
I hadn't considered the 'good habits' benefit, but you are 100% correct on that. I have found my thumb working on wide, graceful turns where I wouldn't before.

I thought the heading hold was a bit much at first, and slightly turned rudder down, and now it seems to follow a bit better, but still has plenty of authority.

I just spent a few minutes checking out the Eagle Tree version, and I actually like the modes of the FY better. Eagle tree has 2D and 3D, where they say 2D works only ailerons. I like auto recovery/FPV better than having an aileron mode only.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

I'm building a 3DHD 55" Extra and it has separate servos for the two elevator halves. So with 5 servos and 2 of them "slaved" on the radio for the elevator, is this unit usable? I presume the servo wires are plugged into the unit and then the unit wires go to the rcvr. With 2 wires for elevator servos (cannot use a Y) I'm thinking this won't work for me. Ideas? Comments? Thanks.
Don

edit: Is this easier to set up than regular gyros? I have a whole bag of those and they are so painful to set up, I just don't use them.
edit again: Looked at the enlarged photo and it sure looks like 1 connection out to the elevator. Dang!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Yeah, you have to use Y harnesses....

BUT.... I have the same problem on my big Cap Maniac. I was thinking about trying it on one aileron, and one elevator.... not sure how it would work, but in theory it should be fine.

We had a guy at teh field with one in a Raptor, he had 2 rudder servos, and only connected it to one of them. It seemed to work just fine (although he was not doing 3D shiz with it)

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
bnick2k11

DK...

The others can explain it probably better but from what I've heard and read you really only need to control, with your FY30A, one rudder (if you have 2) like on my Sukhoi Su34 EDF, or one elevator, or aileron, if they are powered by 2 servos each... It only takes one control surface to do the job just fine in stabilizing mode from what others have said and this would save channels if 2 servos were used for ailerons, or elevators, or both...

I would think nice 3D Mode 2 flying would be better with both control surfaces being used though for proper balance in, knife edges, harriers, hovers, torgue rolls, etc... Just some thoughts and I could be totally wrong just as easily these days, ha...

Right now I'm using mine for both 3D flying, and also for smooth stable flying for my HD video recordings all around my neighborhood, which personally I get a real kick out of doing...

I haven't gone into FPV yet even though I have wanted to since I started following all it's threads 3 years ago... I have one thing that holds me back... I love to just grab my plane walk across the street to the park and fly without carrying a base station, lawn chair, cooler with a case of beer, and all the other hundred pounds of complex, 'anything-can-go-wrong' gear, whereas my Edge 540T just wants to fly without 200 transmitters and antenna's hanging off of her, ha...

Actually my wife has openly admitted she knows I'm already doomed and will be diving totally into FPV pretty soon... Right now I'm just trying not to think too much on it because it is exactly the kind of RC flying I've wanted to do my whole life... Dang this hobby sure bites hard...

Again regarding this wonderful FY30A I'm really finding myself enjoying more and more scale flying and the FY30A, or Guardian, if indeed it does as good as our FY30A does, will be great on our beautiful larger scale planes such as the new 67" (1700mm) FMS P-51D Mustang I just ordered... I gave some real consideration also to the new 79" B17 Banana Hobby sells thinking the FY30A would surely make these big scale birds fly beautiful...

I really like being able to turn off the FY30A when I want to, but I think it's a total blast taking off and landing in full auto with throttle only... It just can't get any safer in big wind and I'm even becoming a bit concerned that I'm trusting the Full Auto Mode 3 for landing in these big winds, and cross-winds, as much as I am for fear, as others have written, that I may well become a lazy flyer...

Still it's a real comfort to know we have such a wonderful failsafe device available when conditions get nasty out of the blue... If you haven't treated yourself to throttle only takeoffs and landings with the FY30A you are in for a wonderful and fun surprise the first time you try it, and for high torqueing tail draggers that pull one way or the other on take off, this FY30A is so sweet because torque becomes a thing of the past... For experienced flyers the torque is no problem for us but the FY30A just makes takeoffs and landings so much nicer...

Here's a couple pics of my new Mustang that should be ariving is a couple days as well as my Sukhoi Su34 EDF which I'm also thinking would fly with the FY30A if my gains are tuned down for the higher speeds...

Happy weekend...
bnick

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00279.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	158285 My 67" Mustang that's arriving this week... (Not My Pic)

Name:	DSC00284.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	158286

Name:	JMPs B17 (6).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	158287 The 79" B17 I'm still considering...

Name:	Bob Su-34 mail-e.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	158288 My Sukhoi Su34 EDF...

Name:	Bob Su-34 mail-b.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	715.2 KB
ID:	158289
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Redbaron1

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Not hijacking at all, but it's worth noting that the unit you linked to is totally different to the FY30A inertial 'gyro' type stabiliser.

The unit you linked works visually by looking at the horizon and levelling the plane relative to the horizon. It seems to simply force the plane to fly level, which is useful as a 'panic button' on a trainer or maybe an FPV, but of limited use otherwise. With the FY30A in 3D mode the plane is stabilised in any orientation, inverted, knife edge, high alpha, hanging on the prop.. you name it. They are in reality totally different in principal and in use.

Steve
I tried looking everywhere and am unable to find one. Anyone know where I can get one?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Www.empirerc.com or allerc.com

Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Redbaron1 View Post
I tried looking everywhere and am unable to find one. Anyone know where I can get one?
Search 'FY-30A' on eBay

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying