Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
mustang51

Friends: (0)
Default Yr 12 RC Plane Building Questions

Hello

I am from Australia and live in the state of south australia. For my final year of school, year 12, I have to complete a compulsory subject called the research project. This project involves researching Information through various sources . My chosen question is to do with rc planes. I was wondering if anybody would like to answers some of my questions, as i would find it really helpfull.

My question for the project is: How to build and fly an rc plane for under $250.

• For a first time scratch builder, is a wingspan of around 1m a good size? If not what size would you recommend?
  • What materials would you recommend to build the plane out of, Eg Balsa Wood, Foam,etc. How strong should the materials you recommend be?
  • What would be the main area to focus the design of the plane on?
  • Following on from the previous question, what areas of the plane should be strengthened ?
  • Final Question, are there any books, videos or website links that you would recommend I use to find information out of? Is there any other tips, tricks or advice you would recommend a first time scratch-builder?

Thanks for your help, it will greatly be appreciated.

Mustang51
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
pyroarch57

Originally Posted by mustang51 View Post
Hello

I am from Australia and live in the state of south australia. For my final year of school, year 12, I have to complete a compulsory subject called the research project. This project involves researching Information through various sources . My chosen question is to do with rc planes. I was wondering if anybody would like to answers some of my questions, as i would find it really helpfull.

My question for the project is: How to build and fly an rc plane for under $250.

• For a first time scratch builder, is a wingspan of around 1m a good size? If not what size would you recommend?
  • What materials would you recommend to build the plane out of, Eg Balsa Wood, Foam,etc. How strong should the materials you recommend be?
  • What would be the main area to focus the design of the plane on?
  • Following on from the previous question, what areas of the plane should be strengthened ?
  • Final Question, are there any books, videos or website links that you would recommend I use to find information out of? Is there any other tips, tricks or advice you would recommend a first time scratch-builder?

Thanks for your help, it will greatly be appreciated.

Mustang51
In other words you want to sit back and expect us to do your research for you!
I think you should enter the spirit of the project and do the research yourself - there`s plenty of information on here if you`re prepared to look.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)

Don't be mean!

Well I'm certainly no builder but I've made up some simple pre-cut kits and from my experience with ARTFs and Mugis I think I could probably put something together if I needed to.

Without doubt Foam is your choice, It's cheap, You just need a craft knife and a straight edge to cut it, it can be glued with hot melt glue, Gorilla glue certain Cyano's and UHU POR (not ordinary UHU).
(Or you coud use Correx/Corraflute twin wall polypropylene - nicked from an estate agents sign is the cheapest source !)

Design of aircraft? Well a Delta wing with a pusher setup is easiest to build but definitely NOT easiest to fly! (google Mugi Evo and Zagi for design ideas)

Easiest to fly will be a high wing plane with the wings ABOVE the fuselage like a Cub.

Strengthening spar across the wings (set and glued into a slit in the foam) can be made from a variety of things but carbon fibre tube is cheap and available readily.
Reinforce the other vulnerable areas of the plane as required with crosweave glass fibre packing tape.

Power set up depends on the weight of the plane but a traditional trainer type design 1m span will probably come out at around 1Kg so something like a 8-900kv brushless outrunner with a 30 - 40A ESC and an 11 x 7 prop should be OK (all available from Hobbyking)
(simple rule of thumb - multiply the kv rating by your battery voltage to get RPM of motor ie 900kv x 11.1v = 9990 rpm) the higher the KV the smaller the prop!

Battery -I would suggest that you buy a 2200maH 3S Lipo (11.1V) But you will need a balancing charger too so you might want to consider using NIMH batteries. These won't perform any where near as well as a lipo but you won't have the charging and safety issues to worry about.

For simplicity you might want to build a powered glider type plane such as a Multiplex Easystar - Rudder only steering so no ailerons to worry about meaning only 2 servos needed. OR a Dynam Hawksky (has ailerons needs 3- 4 servos).

Radio - to keep costs down look on evilbay and buy a 27 0r 36mhz setup (Australian law) 2.4ghz would be better but Will be more expensive. If you buy 2.4ghz then see if you can find something like a used DX4 or a DX5e. Then you can buy a really cheap Orange receiver for use in the model. Servos are also cheap from HK - don't buy micro servos use something around 20g+ with metal gears if you can afford them, if not resin gears are fine.

Take a look at google image pictures of the above planes and get some ideas then go to online shops and read the specs on the whole package - they usually tell you Span, length weight, motor, ESC etc.
And of course read the building threads here on WF!

Right, I've done my bit - now it's up to you cobber!
Your job is to build it, fly it and keep us posted with photos of what you design at various stages of the build process. Then upload the maiden flight video!

Keep us posted!

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
pyroarch57

I wasn`t being mean. I would be first in line to help someone in genuine need.
As i understood it it`s a `research project` I don`t think Mustang51 is being requested to build a plane.

If I`m wrong I apologise.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Smile

Hi Pyroarch!

I was just pulling your leg, I knew what you were getting at but I'm hoping Mustang 51 might just have a go at actually building this plane!

I like to encourage yougsters to have a go at "real" things wherever possible instead of all of this virtual reality nonsense (WF Excepted of course!).

I think it helps to get their minds working on practical design and mechanics and also it's an introduction to a great and addictive hobby that you and I share.

If nothing else Mustang 51 will have met some nice folks here at WF and community, whether in its truest form or here on the internet is something we should all be encouraging before we lose it forever.
If only more youngsters would take an interest in all things RC..........

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
mustang51

Thanks for your response Davethebluessinger

I understand where you’re coming from pyroarch57. Maybe i should have been a little more clearer with the requirements of the project.

This project is like real school subject, and goes for about 6-9months. We have to get more than 10 pages of information and opinions/ interviews. I have found about 8 pages already, but most of them are from websites and a few books. I could just keep finding websites, but i wouldn’t get the best mark. To get a better mark, i have to get opinions/views and the easiest way for me to do this was to email some clubs and ask the same questions here Then we have to produce an outcome

And to ask the question will i be building this plane i don’t have to, but i probably will. If i wanted to i could probably just make the steps and make a small book/folder on how to do it. But yes the plane will get made, (Well wouldn’t you if your parents are paying for the materials/equipment cause i told them its for school )

And my last thing, if am able to do you mind if i copy your posts to be placed with my research? If you want i can delete your to keep it confidential
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

No problem at all as far as I'm concerned - quote me as you feel fit and you can leave my ID in if you wish.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
windy city

Friends: (4)

Mustang,
Check out this link for a step by step foamy build.
http://www.mikeysrc.com/Spitfire-Ste...ld-Videos.html

Hope this helps
Fred
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
windy city

Friends: (4)

Argggg

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft